PDA

View Full Version : What's Playing Now

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

jim campbell
02-10-2007, 07:25 PM
roy buchannan.....when a guitar sings the blues:cheers:
think i'll have a nip and a nap

SEAWOLF97
02-10-2007, 08:29 PM
roy buchannan.....when a guitar sings the blues

one of the grossly underappreciated "axe men"

BMWCCA
02-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Get it straight from Robert Fripp's site - https://www.dgmlive.com/shop/Done! Thanks for another great tip. That's got to beat the old vinyl. (What's up with Rolf? ;))

jim3860
02-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Why don't we all shut up on this thread.

Worthless,, Stop it!! HUH?

Steve Schell
02-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Holy cow Jim, I picked up three Live from Austin DVDs the other day and watched Lucinda Williams this very day. She is something else, and those two guitarists of hers are some of the best I've ever seen. The sound is some of the best I've heard on a music DVD as well. Recommended!

SEAWOLF97
02-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Things have Changed - Bob Dylan

Go My Way - Robin Trower

(just heard this for the first time ever , on XM , wow , if you like wa-wa..this is cool)

jim campbell
02-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Holy cow Jim, I picked up three Live from Austin DVDs the other day and watched Lucinda Williams this very day. She is something else, and those two guitarists of hers are some of the best I've ever seen. The sound is some of the best I've heard on a music DVD as well. Recommended!
there are some truly great performances in there.check out the spyboy dvd by emmylou harris.its not austin city limits but its a fine concert.

i think someone needs their tummy rubbed

JBLRaiser
02-11-2007, 10:01 AM
This is why we have forums and threads that are not JBL specific here. This is information I might never have gotten if we didn't have a place for music and Heather didn't have a place to share this with us. :yes:

Thanks.

It's all about the music. Thanks Heather. Great source.

hjames
02-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Working that new sub a bit, I dug into my vinyl - played a bit of these:

Hot Tuna - Burgers - Water Song
Penguin Cafe Orchestra (http://www.penguincafe.com/home.htm) (the late Simon Jeffes) - Songs from the Penguin Cafe - Hugebaby (actually, all of side 2)

SEAWOLF97
02-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Electric Ladyland - some Jim , Jimmy , Jimi guy

(he's pretty good on axe)

jim campbell
02-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Hot Tuna - Burgers - Water Songi just got that,after being on order at a local place for a year and a half.heather,i wonder if you are a danny gatton fan.he was a dc area guy

hjames
02-11-2007, 01:44 PM
i just got that,after being on order at a local place for a year and a half.heather,i wonder if you are a danny gatton fan.he was a dc area guy

Sad to say I never saw him or Roy Buchanan (who also played around DC).
Roy actually played at the Crossroads Tavern, a wild joint in Bladensburg, MD just down the road from the Triumph dealer I used ...
back in the day - tho I didn't visit that part of town after dark ...

Fred Sanford
02-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Lots of Danny Gatton has been spinning here lately, the "Relentless" CD with Joey DeFrancesco, the live CD from the 9/9/94 concert, and the "Blazing Telecasters" DVD with Tom Principato.

It's Ladies Night, in shuffle now is:

Paula Cole
Maria McKee
Jann Arden
Sarah McLachlan
Alison Krauss
Patti Scialfa
Kate Bush
Lucinda Williams
Gillian Welch
Michelle Shocked
k d lang
Aimee Mann
Dido
Suzanne Vega
Jonatha Brooke
Joss Stone

...and some others.

je

SEAWOLF97
02-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Creep - Radiohead

Fred Sanford
02-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Son Volt Austin City Limits.

Lucinda Williams Austin City Limits
i picked up every acl except son volt and fats domino,and plan on those too when time and money permit.guy clark is on hold pending clearance and hopefully the entire catalogue will emerge.if you are a fan of austin city limits maybe drop them an email and help speed up the process.there are 30 years worth there but i would prefer not to wait that long for the reissues.
google new west records.com

Yeah, they should release 'em all.

First time I saw Shawn Colvin was on ACL, very impressive.

There was one, I think it might have been Joe Ely, that I really enjoyed, too.

je

Fred Sanford
02-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Working that new sub a bit, I dug into my vinyl - played a bit of these:

Hot Tuna - Burgers - Water Song
Penguin Cafe Orchestra (http://www.penguincafe.com/home.htm) (the late Simon Jeffes) - Songs from the Penguin Cafe - Hugebaby (actually, all of side 2)

You're exercising the sub with the iffy foam surround? Patience, now...be gentle to that sickly sub!

je

hjames
02-11-2007, 04:35 PM
You're exercising the sub with the iffy foam surround? Patience, now...be gentle to that sickly sub!

je

Very low output levels - I know. Rick said the kit is on the way (yesterday).
Mostly I have been redoing grill cloth and doing the feed'n'wax on/Wax off drill.
Thanks again for the sub grill - I'll shoot pix when I get the foam redone next weekend (with luck).

kingjames
02-11-2007, 06:13 PM
I had that one at the time on vinyl. Can't remember that the guitars was to laud, but hell, it's a long time ago. I might even been playing on AR3A at that time.

That songs good on any decent speaker.

kingjames
02-11-2007, 06:34 PM
I was bored tonight so I went through my stacks of cd's (no small job I might add),looking for something I haven't played in a while and about 15 minutes through came across "The best of Gordon Lightfoot". What a story teller, "the wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald still gives me goose bumps after all these years.:D

BMWCCA
02-11-2007, 06:53 PM
"Songlines"-The Derek Trucks Band (http://www.derektrucks.com/music.html).
(Now available in a live version DVD shot with HD cameras. I might have to try it.) Saw them locally last year in a bar that held maybe 200. Next time Derek came to town was as sideman for Clapton. Slide guitar and a B3 is a great combination on this CD. All of Trucks' band members are smart and skilled. Kofi Burbridge is as talented on the flute as he is on keyboards, and he's nearly local, from the North Carolina School of the Arts.

Thom
02-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Now that's someone who it's easy to make sound better than he does in person. 30 or so years ago he used to tour a lot and I really was a fan but I don't know if he couldn't afford a sound system or what. Of course he often played college gyms and such but still lots of times you go to a show and can hardly hear one artist or can hear them but it doesn't sound good and they are followed by someone with the sound right on. Is he still around? so many are only recordings these days seems like they drop like flies some days. Don't mean to sound morbid but how did everybody else get so old?

kingjames
02-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Don't mean to sound morbid but how did everybody else get so old?

I got up every morning and went to bed everynight and done this for 20,075 days,this is how I got old.:applaud:

just checked he's still around and here is a link to his tour dates.

http://www.lightfoot.ca/2007.htm

jim campbell
02-12-2007, 06:37 AM

je
i dont believe that either of them have been released yet although i have been assured that more are in the works.shawn colvin turns up for a track on one of the sessions at 54th dvd's.clearance issues seem to hold up new releases

jim campbell
02-12-2007, 06:22 PM
an interesting solution........rev gary davis...........pure religion and bad company...........beginnings.....the allmann brothers band....dreams...

SEAWOLF97
02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
The Animals - A's, B's & EP's

Eric at his best.....1960's

jim campbell
02-12-2007, 06:39 PM
where did you find that.ive wanted to dig up all that early animals stuff and a lot of it seems to have been passed over on cd.i do have love is and every one of us,and even though stuff like winds of change is a little on the hippy dippy side i want it anyhow.

SEAWOLF97
02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
p2p.

got mucho old Animals , some really wonderfull. one of their albums (everyone of us) opens with a long instrumental that you wud never ID as them.
Got on MS's download site (www.URGE.com (http://www.URGE.com)) on a free trial and picked up everything EB ever did.
They code to a timed out proprietary format. not too hard to deal with that. :D

Ken Pachkowsky
02-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Item #Item TitleQuantityPriceSubtotal170079541817Ultimate Demonstration Disc- Audio Chesky Jazz (CD) NEW (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170079541817)1$12.49 USD$12.49 USD170079541931SuperHarps - James Cotton (CD 1999) NEW (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170079541931)1$11.49 USD$11.49 USD17007954207735th Anniversary Jam - James Cotton (CD 2002) NEW (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170079542077)1$10.29 USD$10.29 USD170079546993World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings - SACD NEW (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170079546993)1$9.99 USD$9.99 USD

Has anyone heard them?

Ken

Steve Schell
02-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Ken, I am only familiar with the "Isn't She Lovely" Livingston Taylor track on the SACD and it is terrific. I got to hear him perform it live not long ago. The Chesky recordings feature great sonics (that really being the whole point) but the performances often adhere to Holt's Law IMO.

What is Holt's Law, you ask? J. Gordon Holt, founder of Stereophile, once asserted something to the effect that "The better the performance the worse the recording, and vise versa."

Ben Clarke
02-13-2007, 12:54 AM
on right now:

Art Pepper: Unreleased Art, Vol. 1
The Complete Abashiri Concert - November 22, 1981
Widow's Taste 2CD

Recently released by Art's widow Laurie. Music is sublime - sonics acceptable. Recorded live to cassette by the sound guy, whose name they have forgotten in the intervening decades. They just credit him as "The Kid"! There's flaws that can be picked apart, but the music supercedes all that in this case.

You can get this on CDBaby for $20 and it is a must for anyone into Art even slightly.

SEAWOLF97
02-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Rhythm Devils - Apocalypse Now Sessions

dark , jungle musik

Ken Pachkowsky
02-13-2007, 09:43 AM
What is Holt's Law, you ask? J. Gordon Holt, founder of Stereophile, once asserted something to the effect that "The better the performance the worse the recording, and vise versa."

I was afraid of that....we shall see.

Thanks bud..

So you and the Domester had a visit? He has interesting tastes in music..

Ken

racencase
02-13-2007, 09:47 AM
"Over Night Sensation". My daily dose of Zappa. Then maybe a little Sonny Rollins..............not sure yet.

Steve Schell
02-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Ken, TD and I had a nice visit, though it was cut short. I'm afraid that I'm the one that bombed him with "interesting" music, like Shpongle. Hopefully I will get to hear more of his stuff one of these days.

Titanium Dome
02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Ken, I am only familiar with the "Isn't She Lovely" Livingston Taylor track on the SACD and it is terrific. I got to hear him perform it live not long ago. The Chesky recordings feature great sonics (that really being the whole point) but the performances often adhere to Holt's Law IMO.

I was afraid of that....we shall see.

Thanks bud..

So you and the Domester had a visit? He has interesting tastes in music..

Ken

Ken, TD and I had a nice visit, though it was cut short. I'm afraid that I'm the one that bombed him with "interesting" music, like Shpongle. Hopefully I will get to hear more of his stuff one of these days.

Yes, I'd be pleased to spend more time with both of you, thumping my way through your libraries. :yes:

As for Mr. Holt, he and I are eternally joined at the ear because of his published admiration for the JBL Performance Series. Strange bedfellows, indeed; nonetheless, he has a great appreciation of live orchestral music as do I. The way the PS can handle the orchestral experience is magic to me, as my recent obsession with Howard Shore's LOTR The Complete Recordings bears out.

In fact, it's WHAT'S PLAYING NOW.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14439

Steve Schell
02-13-2007, 03:47 PM
I have admired JGH and his audio writings for many years. I have a fairly complete collection of Stereophile back to about 1980. TD, you are welcome to borrow these anytime to read his output from the days he ran the magazine.

jim campbell
02-13-2007, 05:57 PM
i see that what's playing now 2 has been moved.i think it was started to get around term limits on long threads or due to excessive load times,but no matter.hopefully wpn is here to stay and for the record billy holiday quintessential vol3 .............on columbia is playing now.racencase how do you feel about zappa.........hot rats or even grand wazoo?

boputnam
02-13-2007, 06:41 PM
i see that what's playing now 2 has been moved.i think it was started to get around term limits on long threads or due to excessive load timesThe follow-on discussion suggested that load-times were more (and perhaps only) related to graphics, and not to thread length, per se. We thought it best to keep the entire "library" here, together - it can be Searched more efficiently being in one thread. Otherwise, if anyone has hard statistics on load times, we will revisit this.

...but no matter. hopefully wpn is here to stay Absolutely! :applaud:

they just refuse to be responsive.Ouch. Interesting negotiation style... Please refer to the above, again.

I will have to drop out of this thread. The load time is so long, and while loading all other ip traffic comes to a stall.That is unfortunate. Is the experience truly unique to this thread? Can you please sample some others that have high graphic content? Northwoods picture threads were offered as a comparable where load times can be long, even tho the threads are quite short.

they just refuse to be responsive.Ouch.

BMWCCA
02-13-2007, 08:13 PM
My third system stack is getting out of control. I just dug out my old single-play Sony CDP-991 and hooked it to the pile in my avatar. First album through the old CD:

Fleetwood Mac: "Mystery to Me". Nicely balanced for the realistic '70s sound with the 4412As.

Now I've moved on to something that shows them off a bit better:

Michael Hedges: "Arial Boundaries". What an amazing talent. Only after his death did i hear him credit Steve Stills with teaching how to play guitar.

This is the CD I used to demo all my car-audio CD-installations back in the Eighties. I still get chills thinking about driving a BMW M1 I'd just installed the first Sony car CD-player in using ADS speakers. Memories. Isn't that what this is all about anyway?

jim campbell
02-13-2007, 08:22 PM
I will have to drop out of this thread.
let's not be too hasty.maybe there is a solution.no word yet on that other thing.hot tuna...........burgers..heather made me do it

BMWCCA
02-13-2007, 08:34 PM
I don't find this thread takes any longer to load than any other, pictures or not. But then I'm only displaying fifteen-or-so replies at any one time (edit: or whatever the forum's default is!). Your browser shouldn't have to load all 542 replies just to display any one page.

SEAWOLF97
02-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I don't find this thread takes any longer to load than any other, pictures or not. But then I'm only displaying fifteen-or-so replies at any one time. Your browser shouldn't have to load all 542 replies just to display any one page.

I cut it down to only showing last 20 posts, kinda works.

Hoerninger
02-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Surfer Girl
by the Beach Boys

on Air by Radio Bremen
_________
Peter

johnaec
02-14-2007, 06:22 AM
I cut it down to only showing last 20 posts, kinda works.Why don't you just click on the icon to go to "View First Unread", assuming you're marking the forums as "read" when you leave them? That way, it bypasses the load time entirely, and almost instantaneously takes you to the first post in the thread since your last visit.

John

boputnam
02-14-2007, 07:58 AM
FWIW, I will be cleaning up the non-topical posts here in the next day or so. I may move these to a separate thread or add to the area of instructions on how to maneuver this place...

Hofmannhp
02-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Eric Clapton with JJ-Cale

Album : Road to Escondido

Track: Danger

a lot of Grooooove, JJ-Cale's Organ, smooth guitar playing.....great

HP

Hoerninger
02-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Don't worry Baby
by the Beach Boys

on air by Radio Bremen.

But there is no Beach Boys day right now. This radio station dosn't play the crap so many others stations do. They are often playing music they bought in the sixties/ seventies - the time where I grew up :) .

NP: RB changed over to Brown Sugar by the Stones.

jim campbell
02-15-2007, 08:38 AM
buddy rich big band.............the new one...........group shot

jim campbell
02-15-2007, 11:54 AM
seawolf ought to appreciate this one...........procol harum............a salty dog

Fred Sanford
02-15-2007, 11:59 AM

Michael Hedges: "Arial Boundaries". What an amazing talent. Only after his death did i hear him credit Steve Stills with teaching how to play guitar.

This is the CD I used to demo all my car-audio CD-installations back in the Eighties. I still get chills thinking about driving a BMW M1 I'd just installed the first Sony car CD-player in using ADS speakers. Memories. Isn't that what this is all about anyway?

I remember hearing about his being missing over a Thanksgiving weekend, and being found the following week after going over an embankment...worst feeling hearing it resolve that way. I'd been a fan of his since early Windham Hill days, I remember seeing a Laser Disc concert of his and being blown away. I'd also recommend 'Taproot' as a good starting point, he really seemed to settle down and work on groove and tempo with that album, and I think even his greatest hits collections are a bit inconsistent (sonics and quality) where 'Taproot' is nicely recorded and works as a complete "piece", a real journey if you have the time to sit and let it all play. Love the e e cummings poem song at the end, too (with Crosby & Nash on backing vocals, if I remember correctly). 'Taproot' has some interesting applications of the Trans-Trem as well.

Hedges is in my mix playing now, along with Don Ross, John Williams, Segovia, Django, Paco DeLucia, Strunz & Farah, Johannes Linstead, Jesse Cook, Tim Farrell, Billy McLaughlin, Tuck Andress, Giovanni DiChiaro...

If you like Hedges, check out Don Ross for sure. Lots of the Narada artists are very good, with excellent quality recordings.

je

hjames
02-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Yes - I'm a fan of the tap-players - seen Tony Levin a few times on Chapman Stick - Mastelloto on Warr Guitar, when we saw the California Guitar Trio the "warmup act" was Tom Griesgraber on Chapman stick. Also a local band Cliff Art features a Chapman stick on some numbers ...

And of course - Robert Fripp and King Crimson - and Philharmonie from Belgium ...

All this stuff grew from Hedges ... well, thanks to you I chased down a copy of Aerial Boundaries - Listened to some of it yesterday while testing the refoam job (that and Yo-Yo-Ma plays Ennio Moricone) sounded quite nice!

Thanks to you folks I have found such GREAT new music!

Now waiting for John Catchings Wayfaring Stranger (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=150094&postcount=6) that congalocke mentioned the other day ... I'm a sucker for good cello work!

'70s sound with the 4412As.

SEAWOLF97
02-16-2007, 10:42 AM
My wife / WGFA - The WHO :applaud:

jim campbell
02-16-2007, 10:58 AM
i wonder if the other half of bob dylans catalog will ever get the sacd treatment.now playing..................... desire ........one more cup of coffee

SEAWOLF97
02-16-2007, 01:45 PM
i wonder if the other half of bob dylans catalog will ever get the sacd treatment.now playing..................... desire ........one more cup of coffee

Bob Dylan's 115th Dream

not real musical, but a hoot !!

I was riding on the Mayflower
When I thought I spied some land
I yelled for Captain Arab
I have yuh understand
Who came running to the deck
Said, "Boys, forget the whale
Look on over yonder
Cut the engines
Change the sail
Haul on the bowline"
We sang that melody
Like all tough sailors do
When they are far away at sea

"I think I'll call it America"
I said as we hit land
I took a deep breath
I fell down, I could not stand
Captain Arab he started
Writing up some deeds
He said, "Let's set up a fort
And start buying the place with beads"
Just then this cop comes down the street
Crazy as a loon
He throw us all in jail
For carryin' harpoons

Ah me I busted out
Don't even ask me how
I went to get some help
I walked by a Guernsey cow
Who directed me down
To the Bowery slums
Where people carried signs around
Saying, "Ban the bums"
I jumped right into line
Sayin', "I hope that I'm not late"
When I realized I hadn't eaten
For five days straight

I went into a restaurant
Lookin' for the cook
I told them I was the editor
Of a famous etiquette book
The waitress he was handsome
He wore a powder blue cape
I ordered some suzette, I said
"Could you please make that crepe"
Just then the whole kitchen exploded
From boilin' fat
Food was flying everywhere
And I left without my hat

Now, I didn't mean to be nosy
But I went into a bank
To get some bail for Arab
And all the boys back in the tank
They asked me for some collateral
And I pulled down my pants
They threw me in the alley
When up comes this girl from France
Who invited me to her house
I went, but she had a friend
Who knocked me out
And robbed my boots
And I was on the street again

Well, I rapped upon a house
With the U.S. flag upon display
I said, "Could you help me out
I got some friends down the way"
The man says, "Get out of here
I'll tear you limb from limb"
I said, "You know they refused Jesus, too"
He said, "You're not Him
Get out of here before I break your bones
I ain't your pop"
I decided to have him arrested
And I went looking for a cop

I ran right outside
And I hopped inside a cab
I went out the other door
This Englishman said, "Fab"
As he saw me leap a hot dog stand
And a chariot that stood
Parked across from a building
Advertising brotherhood
I ran right through the front door
Like a hobo sailor does
But it was just a funeral parlor
And the man asked me who I was

I repeated that my friends
Were all in jail, with a sigh
He gave me his card
He said, "Call me if they die"
I shook his hand and said goodbye
Ran out to the street
When a bowling ball came down the road
And knocked me off my feet
A pay phone was ringing
It just about blew my mind
When I picked it up and said hello
This foot came through the line

Well, by this time I was fed up
At tryin' to make a stab
At bringin' back any help
For my friends and Captain Arab
I decided to flip a coin
Like either heads or tails
Would let me know if I should go
Back to ship or back to jail
So I hocked my sailor suit
And I got a coin to flip
It came up tails
It rhymed with sails
So I made it back to the ship

Well, I got back and took
The parkin' ticket off the mast
I was ripping it to shreds
When this coastguard boat went past
They asked me my name
And I said, "Captain Kidd"
They believed me but
They wanted to know
What exactly that I did
I said for the Pope of Eruke
I was employed
They let me go right away
They were very paranoid

Well, the last I heard of Arab
He was stuck on a whale
That was married to the deputy
Sheriff of the jail
But the funniest thing was
When I was leavin' the bay
I saw three ships a-sailin'
They were all heading my way
I asked the captain what his name was
And how come he didn't drive a truck
He said his name was Columbus
I just said, "Good luck."

jim campbell
02-16-2007, 07:00 PM
nanci griffith...............last of the true believers

BMWCCA
02-16-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm a sucker for good cello work!My middle-daughter plays cello so we're sensitive to how it's reproduced on recordings. We do have the "Instant Live" 2-disc of Yo-Yo Ma's concert we saw here in Charlottesville last year and that's interesting. We also like Abby Newton's "Castles, Kirks & Caves", and my daughter is a Jorane fan. If you ever get a chance to see Rashad Eggleston (with Darol Anger maybe), don't pass it up. What an amazing kid. I've never seen a cello played like that.

Which reminds me, Darol Anger and Mike Marshall's "Chiaroscuro" is another favorite, if you don't hate traditional Windham Hill stuff.

Still waiting patiently for King Crimson!

Fred Sanford
02-17-2007, 06:02 AM
Which reminds me, Darol Anger and Mike Marshall's "Chiarascuro" is another favorite, if you don't hate traditional Windham Hill stuff.

I was listening in "random" the other day, and something made me go over and check what was playing, and that is the title I remember- I'll have to go back and check it out on a better system (this was just a rack-mount monitor, tiny speakers). Is that an entire album, or one track you're referencing? I probably have just one track on a WH sampler.

Thanks,

je

BMWCCA
02-17-2007, 06:54 AM
I was listening in "random" the other day, and something made me go over and check what was playing, and that is the title I remember- I'll have to go back and check it out on a better system (this was just a rack-mount monitor, tiny speakers). Is that an entire album, or one track you're referencing? I probably have just one track on a WH sampler.It's an album, but I didn't help you by misspelling the art term: Darol Anger and Mike Marshall's "Chiaroscuro"
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000000NGD.01._AA130_SCMZZZZZZZ_.gifSample cuts: here (http://www.amazon.com/Chiaroscuro-Darol-Anger/dp/B000000NGD)

Audio CD (October 25, 1990)
Original Release Date: 1985
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Windham Hill Records
ASIN: B000000NGD

SEAWOLF97
02-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Donovan - "live in the XM studio"

always liked him, he's still got it at however old he is now. :applaud:

Titanium Dome
02-17-2007, 09:12 AM
For a second I thought you were referring to a Brazilian barbeque restaurant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churrasco

http://www.v-brazil.com/culture/cuisine/churrasco.html

M-m-m-m, B-B-Q! :homer:

What's playing now? Jobim.

SEAWOLF97
02-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Robin Trower - Go My Way

on again.....it's really cooollllllll. :applaud:

jim campbell
02-17-2007, 08:12 PM
... I'm a sucker for good cello work!
check the bach solo stuff.by pablo casals.not the best sound quality but a great record.now playing..........survivor suite..........keith jarrett

Fred Sanford
02-18-2007, 05:25 PM

Anybody pick up Lucinda's latest CD? It's on my wish list, I'll pick it up some day soon or it'll come my way next birthday. Curious if any fans have any reviews.

je

jim campbell
02-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Still waiting patiently for King Crimson!

just the one?try red and dicipline and play loud as required by law

Robh3606
02-18-2007, 10:18 PM

Red is one of my favorites, you like the newer stuff as well. One hell of a band in person. I have seen the new band from Thrak on a few times in small venues and they rock!!

I have Styx on now

Rob:)

racencase
02-19-2007, 08:57 AM
" Night hawks at the Diner "..............just that kinda morning.:bouncy:

BMWCCA
02-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Well, the King Crimson new-master arrived and it reminded me why I only played three of the five tracks on that LP when it was still new: Not enough drugs. The parts I did play and remember well are beautifully represented on this new version. I might have to pop for an updated ELP "Lucky Man" since that's the memory this CD evokes. FWIW, it sounds better (to me) on the 030 system than it does on the 4412As, but then that's what it got played on for the decade before there were CDs!

hjames
02-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Sounds like you are playing Court of the Crimson King ... from 1969.

I'd try some of the newer stuff - might I suggest B'Boom: Official Bootleg - Live In Argentina 1994 [LIVE]
You can get a copy of it used from Amazon for under $8 - or $16 new - excellent for a 2 CD set of live material. Its the most stunning version of the newer crimson - a double trio configuration 2 guitars, 2 drummers, 2 bass (well, plus chapman stick and Warr guitar). Amazing playing and well recorded.If you like the Michael Hedges material this music will light you up.

Well, the King Crimson new-master arrived and it reminded me why I only played three of the five tracks on that LP when it was still new: Not enough drugs. The parts I did play and remember well are beautifully represented on this new version. I might have to pop for an updated ELP "Lucky Man" since that's the memory this CD evokes. FWIW, it sounds better (to me) on the 030 system than it does on the 4412As, but then that's what it got played on for the decade before there were CDs!

BMWCCA
02-19-2007, 09:26 AM
At the risk of offending the ephete among you and coming across too pedestrian for the tastes on this site—and after much debate over "coming out" on this one:

Norah Jones: "Not Too Late"

Disregarding that it's one of the top-selling albums right now, it's darn good, well recorded and, as her first showcasing her own songwriting, I just can't resist playing it. Got some tasteful Wurlitzer and Hammond touches, as well as trumpets. Very nicely done. I bought the special-edition version with the DVD and the video and "making of" for "Sinkin' Soon" is fun and amused my college-animation-film-making daughter. If you wear shades and don't tell your friends, you can probably pick up the CD-only version for about $10 at you local Wally World or Best Buy. I think I paid about $16 for the DVD-version at my local record shop. Worth it, IMHO.

There, I said it. Flame suit on!:flamed:

BMWCCA
02-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Sounds like you are playing Court of the Crimson King ... from 1969.Yep, Fripp's re-release from the original masters, as you suggested. Really very nice on the passages I always liked.

I'd try some of the newer stuff - might I suggest B'Boom: Official Bootleg - Live In Argentina 1994 [LIVE]
You can get a copy of it used from Amazon for under $8 - or $16 new - excellent for a 2 CD set of live material. I sampled some of it on Amazon. No shortage of this one there and on Half.com in like-new for about $11. I might give it a try. Right now repairing a hard-wood floor from termite damage in our old house is taking precedence over music. :banghead:

jim campbell
02-20-2007, 07:18 PM
neil young........american stars and bars........like a hurricane

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
otis redding................ dock of the bay...............the album

Storm
02-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Some prince song from the radio.

-storm.

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 03:02 PM
charlie daniels band....fire on the mountain............long haired country boy

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 04:51 PM
charlie daniels band....fire on the mountain............long haired country boy

Jim

you will have to get all new discs to go with those new speakers. I'll PM you my shipping address for you to dispose of the old CD's.. :)

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 05:10 PM
they may be needed as a food source

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 07:26 AM
gary burton,chick corea...............crystal silence................saw this live in a really good building.great concert
:applaud:

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 01:12 PM
natalie merchant............tiger lily

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 05:35 PM
herbie hancock ..........headhunters

Fred Sanford
02-22-2007, 07:20 PM
herbie hancock ..........headhunters

"Chameleon" is a favorite from that album, both to play in a band & to play on the stereo.

je

jim campbell
02-23-2007, 07:06 AM
"Chameleon" is a favorite from that album, both to play in a band & to play on the stereo.

jethats the most modern of the hancock stuff i have.i also have juju, night dreamer,and tons with other players.playing now graham parsons.......gp/grevious angel........and emmylou

jim campbell
02-23-2007, 02:17 PM
townes van zandt...................live at the old quarter houston

JBLRaiser
02-23-2007, 08:26 PM
B.B. King Deuces Wild

jim campbell
02-24-2007, 09:02 AM
son house.............one of those seven buck best ofs but a pretty good set all in all

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Santana - Dealer

jim campbell
02-24-2007, 04:52 PM
joe pass............virtuoso
miles davis.........four and more

speakerdave
02-24-2007, 05:30 PM
John Coltrane, Soultrane, the MFSL SACD reissue. Beautiful, natural sound. Perhaps not coincidentally picked up a volume of Sylvia Plath short stories, and I have been struck by the similarity of the feeling--the power that emerges when they discover that they not only cannot but that they must not continue to feed their souls into the corporate dream.

David

Storm
02-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Wow, I just picked up that same exact one just last night. Plopped it in and love it!

Now, I am playing Boz Scaggs: Dig.

-Storm

John Coltrane, Soultrane, the MFSL SACD reissue. Beautiful, natural sound. Perhaps not coincidentally picked up a volume of Sylvia Plath short stories, and I have been struck by the similarity of the feeling--the power that emerges when they discover that they not only cannot but that they must not continue to feed their souls into the corporate dream.

David

speakerdave
02-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I have CD's of two of the albums that were produced during this two-week stint in 1961, which I got because I've long liked Booker Little's playing. I like the feeling in this music that school is out, and it is time to play the way you want.

David

jim campbell
02-25-2007, 03:01 PM
I have CD's of two of the albums that were produced during this two-week stint in 1961, which I got because I've long liked Booker Little's playing. I like the feeling in this music that school is out, and it is time to play the way you want.

David
far cry? if you like dolphy try out to lunch.for more booker little see mingus

speakerdave
02-25-2007, 03:42 PM
far cry? if you like dolphy try out to lunch.for more booker little see mingus

Both sound like good ideas.

far cry? I don't understand. Is that an album title?

I also have a white label copy of the Copenhagen Concert twofer. One of my favorites.

David

Guy in WNY
02-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Some Moog synth stuff...pretty neat!

SEAWOLF97
02-25-2007, 10:43 PM
The Globetrekker CD - from the PBS TV show

kinda like jazz meets ethnic

jim campbell
02-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Both sound like good ideas.
I don't understand. Is that an album title?

I also have a white label copy of the Copenhagen Concert twofer. One of my favorites.

David
far cry.....eric dolphy.1960 new jazz8270 ojccd400-2
jaki byard, booker little,ron carter,roy haynes.i have not seen the copenhagen set here

whizzer
02-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Right now, for about the ten-thousandth time or so, I'm listening to "The Six Wives of Henry VIII," still Wakeman's best stuff. It knocked me out when it first appeared, and it still sounds good all these years later.

SEAWOLF97
02-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Go My Way - the CD - Robin Trower

had the single cut by that name and found the CD ...I think its one of his best :applaud:

SEAWOLF97
02-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Ramsey Lewis Trio - Wade in the Water

jim campbell
02-26-2007, 07:46 PM
rolling stones.................sticky fingers

Robh3606
02-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Necktar "Remember the Future" and Peter Gabriel UP on SACD 2 channel mode.

grumpy
02-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Nektar? I had "Recycled" spinning just a few days ago...
not exactly mainstream...:) -grumpy

Robh3606
02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Nektar? I had "Recycled" spinning just a few days ago...

Nice!! I would love to get my hands on the CD. I still have the vinyl. Got Ziggy Stardust up now.

jim campbell
02-27-2007, 11:22 AM
lets not forget fripp,belew and the king crimson guys,larry coryell,david torn,steve tibbetts,ralph towner,mike stern,and the scofield kid.oops wrong thread,should be with the guitarists

speakerdave
02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
After Widget mentioned Meshell Ndegeocello on another thread, I ordered one of her CD's--Peace Beyond Passion. This is really quite good. Interesting, complex, layered, nice wide range sonic textures, depths and colors, thoughtful lyrics. Bass played as a melodic and articulating instrument as well as setting foundations. Very nice. Thanks, Widget.

David

jim campbell
02-27-2007, 10:35 PM
After Widget mentioned Meshell Ndegeocello on another thread, I ordered one of her CD's--Peace Beyond Passion. This is really quite good. Interesting, complex, layered, nice wide range sonic textures, depths and colors, thoughtful lyrics. Bass played as a melodic and articulating instrument as well as setting foundations. Very nice. Thanks, Widget.

Davidbass players are a whole other universe.let me know when you want to start on those............

SEAWOLF97
02-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Donovan - GH / Atlantis

"way down, below the ocean......."

speakerdave
02-28-2007, 06:39 PM
"Who ARE those guys?" -Butch Cassidy

hjames
03-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Didn't quite know where else to put this,

but this thread seems to draw lots of folks with eclectic tastes ...
and I know we've talked about early King Crimson stuff here ..

Obituary: Ian Wallace Drummer

Ian Wallace, 60, a journeyman drummer who toured with Bob Dylan, Don Henley and Bonnie Raitt and recorded with Stevie Nicks, Ry Cooder and others, died Feb. 22 at UCLA Medical Center of complications from esophageal cancer.
Born in Bury, England, Mr. Wallace began playing in rock bands in the 1960s and earned a reputation for his eclectic range. He provided beats for prominent musicians in a variety of genres. They included Crosby, Stills & Nash, Stevie Nicks, Roy Orbison, Traveling Wilburys, Brian Eno and Jackson Browne.
He also played with several jazz bands and founded the Crimson Jazz Trio.

See - http://www.ianrwallace.com/

jim campbell
03-02-2007, 05:30 PM
got a chance to hear tom waits ,orphans at work today on the stereo in my truck and i liked the first two discs with an exception or two.the third one i could have left alone though,and at fifty six bucks i will leave it on the wish list for a while.up now, the beatles............rubber soul.

UreiCollector
03-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Matisyahu - Live at Stubbs. Good album!!

Storm
03-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Boz Scaggs: Dig.

-Storm

jim campbell
03-03-2007, 05:37 PM
up next..............jeff beck..........truth

John
03-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Just picked up the

Mavericks - What a crying shame.
Bob Seger - Face the promise.

jim campbell
03-03-2007, 07:56 PM
the tucker boys are singin' about carolina (sigh) right now and off i go again

hjames
03-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Strange Mood lately - in between the John Cale stuff (Guts!) and everything thats going on I've been in a mood for Cash - played some of the collections like The man in Black and Personal File - plus the 5 American Records releases (sonically I mostly like the first two best, but there is a lot of heart in all of his final works.

and -
Highwayman - what a great record - I dismissed country too long ago (my Dad listened to the schlock stuff) - but this stuff is very fine!

jim campbell
03-03-2007, 09:52 PM
a great place to start heather.....hank.

hjames
03-03-2007, 10:00 PM
a great place to start heather.....hank.
Well, I started with Patsy Cline and Dolly, years ago ...and a bunch of Lyle Lovette (but he's special, I know ... :)), but after seeing some of those early b&W johnny cash appearances on a netflix rental (Town Hall Party, 1958 & 59) - he was much more interesting than what I remember of his show on ABC-TV in the 70s ...

SEAWOLF97
03-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Well, I started with Patsy Cline and Dolly, years ago ...and a bunch of Lyle Lovette (but he's special, I know ... :)), but after seeing some of those early b&W johnny cash appearances on a netflix rental (Town Hall Party, 1958 & 59) - he was much more interesting than what I remember of his show on ABC-TV in the 70s ...

I'm not a big CW fan, but in the last couple of years, have been appreciating Cash more and more. Love "Orange Blossom Special".

Fred Sanford
03-04-2007, 09:45 AM
I grew up in NYC, and most of what my Dad played around the house was Johnny Cash/Glen Campbell/Merle Haggard/Chet Atkins/etc. Can't get it out of me, never could. I've always been a sucker for those harmonies. My entry into rock music came via the Southern rockers, I remember as a kid crawling through the sewer system into Nassau County to come up within the gates of Belmont Park so I could see the WLIR Parties In The Park with Charlie Daniels Band & Pure Prairie League, among others.

I've said it a couple of times here, but for some good country-flavored rock albums first give a listen to Maria McKee's 'You've Gotta Sin To Get Saved' with members of the Jayhawks in her backing band. Then, look for Patti Scialfa's 'Rumble Doll' with Heartbreaker Mike Campbell producing & playing guitar.

Lyle Lovett's a staple here, seen him live a bunch, too.

Now the local stations in VA are giving me an education in rootsy country that I'm loving.

je

SEAWOLF97
03-04-2007, 09:54 AM
growin up...Dad mostly played "Sons of the Pioneers" ....harmonizing cowboys that did a great "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and played Mr. Acker Bilk , the only clarinet player worth a damn , IMHO.

jim campbell
03-04-2007, 07:35 PM
growin up...Dad mostly played "Sons of the Pioneers" ....harmonizing cowboys that did a great "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and played Mr. Acker Bilk , the only clarinet player worth a damn , IMHO.sidney bechet may just appeal to you

mbask
03-04-2007, 10:30 PM
"Thick as A Brick", and "War Child"...Back to back.

It's been a while, and what a treat.:applaud:

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Chicago - "Wishing you were here"
& "Feelin Stonger Every Day"

they've produced a lot of crap, I think these 2 are among their best.

mbask
03-05-2007, 01:05 AM
I like the 70s Chicago radio hits..Make me Smile, Beginnings, just You And Me,...etc. It's part of the sound track of my childhood.
other then Chicago IX, I've never owned a decently recorded album by them...hmm ...maybe that should be on the list.

suggestions?

jim campbell
03-05-2007, 08:05 AM
I like the 70s Chicago radio hits..Make me Smile, Beginnings, just You And Me,...etc. It's part of the sound track of my childhood.
other then Chicago IX, I've never owned a decently recorded album by them...hmm ...maybe that should be on the list.

suggestions?though somewhat dated the only one i would ever own is the first one.

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2007, 08:09 AM
though somewhat dated the only one i would ever own is the first one.

are you referring to the one before they were "Chicago" ??

with "I'm a man" and freeform guitar ? and the group was called "Chicago Transit Authority" ?

jim campbell
03-05-2007, 08:13 AM
that would be the one.later they kind of drifted into the fm staple stuff that i dont care for

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2007, 08:19 AM
that would be the one.later they kind of drifted into the fm staple stuff that i dont care for

Jim

I was just listening to one of my favs "Blood , Sweat & Tears" GH. Wud think you like too ?

hjames
03-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Jim

I was just listening to one of my favs "Blood , Sweat & Tears" GH. Wud think you like too ?

Now you're talkin' my lingo! I recently grabbed a remastered copy of the second album - God Bless the Child, Sometimes in Winter .... ahh!
That's some horns!

jim campbell
03-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Jim

it has been said that chicago were rock guys playing jazz and bst was jazz guys playing rock.i still listen to them but i havnt got around to buying all the ones i want.i think that the bst 3 is still the best.the only one i own is child is father to the man.my old guitar player from the band days actually played with david clayton thomas in the early toronto times.

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Now you're talkin' my lingo! I recently grabbed a remastered copy of the second album - God Bless the Child, Sometimes in Winter .... ahh!
That's some horns!

Its funny HJ ....I generally dont like horns. BUT , with BST they are very nice - Love you more than you'll ever know- Incredible !! :applaud:

jim campbell
03-05-2007, 08:36 AM
are you referring to the one before they were "Chicago" ??

with "I'm a man" and freeform guitar ? and the group was called "Chicago Transit Authority" ?now that i think of it that was the first album i ever heard on a decent "component"stereo.

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2007, 09:10 AM
its a little out of my gen ...but my son introduced me to , and I like some of CAKE (I will survive), THE CLASH (Mag 7, London Calling) , RADIOHEAD (Creep) and RHCP (Under the bridge).

Oh yeah, I really got into The White Stripes - Elephant

jim campbell
03-05-2007, 06:06 PM
its a little out of my gen

Oh yeah, I really got into The White Stripes - Elephant
a little huh?i really like this too.on now modern jazz quartet.....................space..........on apple no less

jim campbell
03-06-2007, 09:16 AM
mahavishnu orchestra..............birds of fire

jim campbell
03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
guess im the only one listening today...................highway 61 revisited......................some guy from minnesota

SEAWOLF97
03-06-2007, 05:41 PM
guess im the only one listening today...................highway 61 revisited......................some guy from minnesota

richard belzer did "The Ballad of Bob dylan" ,, really, really funny.

jim campbell
03-06-2007, 05:47 PM
richard belzer did "The Ballad of Bob dylan" ,, really, really funny.on record?

SEAWOLF97
03-06-2007, 08:36 PM
it's recent - CD only.

jim campbell
03-06-2007, 08:46 PM
had sarah silverman jesus is magic at work the other day and its a hoot.chris rock ...bring the pain has been around a while but its great even after the first time,which is rare for comedy.did you ever see the series action w/ jay mohr and illeana douglas?lousy transfer but still worth it.back to music with a local trio............the wailin jennys,who seem to be getting an international following of late

jim campbell
03-07-2007, 10:38 AM
camper van beethoven.................key lime pie

Fred Sanford
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Playlist currently rolling:

Lucinda Williams
Gillian Welch
Wilco
Son Volt
Jayhawks
Michelle Shocked

je

jim campbell
03-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Playlist currently rolling:

Lucinda Williams
Gillian Welch
Wilco
Son Volt
Jayhawks
Michelle Shocked

jewhich gillian welch?i have hell among the yearlings and time the revelator,dvd and cd.i cant get enough of david rawlings tasty licks.michelle
shocked....short sharp shocked......lucinda's car wheels and her live from austin dvd.dont know too much about the others you list and my six page amazon wish list is gettin out of hand

Fred Sanford
03-07-2007, 03:02 PM
which gillian welch?i have hell among the yearlings and time the revelator,dvd and cd.i cant get enough of david rawlings tasty licks.michelle
shocked....short sharp shocked......lucinda's car wheels and her live from austin dvd.dont know too much about the others you list and my six page amazon wish list is gettin out of hand

Here's what's on this server/in this playlist- I have others, but haven't added them yet:

Lucinda Williams Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
Lucinda Williams Essence
Lucinda Williams Lucinda Williams
Lucinda Williams Passionate Kisses
Lucinda Williams Ramblin'
Lucinda Williams Rolling Stone Women in Rock (3
Lucinda Williams Sweet Old World
Lucinda Williams Sweet Relief: A Benefit for V
Lucinda Williams World Without Tears

Gillian Welch Hell Among the Yearlings
Gillian Welch Revival
Gillian Welch Soul Journey
Gillian Welch Time (The Revelator)

Wilco A Ghost Is Born
Wilco A.M.
Wilco CD Side 17
Wilco KROQ 1997 New Music
Wilco Summer Teeth
Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Son Volt Straightaways
Son Volt Trace

Jayhawks Blue Earth
Jayhawks Hollywood Town Hall
Jayhawks Rainy Day Music
Jayhawks Sweet Relief: A Benefit for V
Jayhawks Tomorrow The Green Grass

Michelle Shocked Short Sharp Shocked
Michelle Shocked Sweet Relief: A Benefit for V
Michelle Shocked Texas Campfire Tapes

je

jim campbell
03-07-2007, 08:45 PM
thats the tip of a very interesting ice berg you got there.do you buy a lot of discs or download?i get a feeling that your collection reflects a good deal of mine.how do you like buddy miller?

Fred Sanford
03-08-2007, 05:33 AM
thats the tip of a very interesting ice berg you got there.do you buy a lot of discs or download?i get a feeling that your collection reflects a good deal of mine.how do you like buddy miller?

Don't know Buddy Miller, I'll have to look that one up. Quick description of what you like about the music?

I've been collecting music all my life, have thousands of LPs/cassettes/CDs/DATs/etc. I've also done work for many record companies and music industry management companies, and their offices are littered with promo copies of their artists, so I've gotten hundreds of them as tips as well. Once I started doing beta testing for the folks at www.request.com (http://www.request.com) I started converting much of my CD library to smaller digital file formats (for ease of use) as well as starting to archive my tapes to digital (originals are deteriorating). I've been at it pretty steadily for 7 years or so, I've still got a ways to go. I'd also love to have the analog stereo output of my concert DVDs and LDs, that's another future project.

Quick look at my two current main servers- one has 10,032 songs from 833 albums, the other has 23,564 songs from 2,115 albums. Those don't include the music I've recorded in my homes or while running sound systems for bands, that's yet another server and another LOOONG project. There's quite a bit of secretarial work to do now grooming the text labels and organizing them between hard drives without losing any in the shuffle. Fun. Makes is easy to listen to what I want quickly, though, and I still have the original media and a dedicated listening system for the higher-quality experience. Also enables me to listen to my own collection from anywhere there's an internet connection- I can access the servers remotely and stream whatever I want.

I can export the song lists or artist/album lists into Excel if you're curious, of course then you'll see how inconsistent the text info is on some of it...PM me if you care.

je

SEAWOLF97
03-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Quick look at my two current main servers- one has 10,032 songs from 833 albums, the other has 23,564 songs from 2,115 albums. je

hope those are backed up.

hard drives are rated in "MTBF" hours. Mean Time Between Failure.

The question is NOT "will my hard drive die", it is really "When will my hard drive die??"

usually rated about 50,000 hours. :(

jim campbell
03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
the biggest thing i found with the best country/blues and other so called simpler forms was when i started to hear the subtleties within those forms.the individual voices of the background singers in a gospel chorus,the emotion in the voice of a johnny cash,the place where julie millers voice meets emmylou's,the raw power of howlin wolf,or the a capella hazel dickens.its difficult to describe but i do know when i hear it.if you listen to jazz on some of rudy van gelders works,or a charlie haden solo................even the decay of a single note on a well produced album or in a good room.i will definitely get back to you about the other but i am in the middle of a job that takes most of my time....jim
emmylou harris...........spyboy dvd or wrecking ball .produced by daniel lanois ............buddy miller guitar/vocals.

Fred Sanford
03-08-2007, 01:34 PM
hope those are backed up.

hard drives are rated in "MTBF" hours. Mean Time Between Failure.

The question is NOT "will my hard drive die", it is really "When will my hard drive die??"

usually rated about 50,000 hours. :(

Check out the request.com page- these have an automated backup feature where they check the library and sync exact copies. For example, I have clients that add a CD in their home in CT, it copies to their servers in their Wyoming vacation home and their yacht's server in Miami. Fun stuff.

So, yes, I back them up, every drive has at least one mirror. I have 4 total servers, so usually one is, as my wife calls it, "music with words", one is instrumentals/classical/jazz, one is music from my studio, and the fourth is backing up whatever I'm currently adding to. I have also been treated very well by ReQuest while beta-testing for them, so repairs haven't been much of an issue. Your mileage may certainly vary, mine will probably vary now that I'm out of the high-end industry.

je

jim campbell
03-09-2007, 04:55 PM
john cale.............no more shall we part

jim campbell
03-10-2007, 04:12 PM
crosby stills nash and young.............deja vu

jim campbell
03-10-2007, 06:49 PM
bill evans.............sunday at the village vanguard.scott la faro bass,paul motian,drums,a classic desert isle disc...............oscar peterson.......night train............back to work

Fred Sanford
03-10-2007, 06:57 PM
bill evans.............sunday at the village vanguard.scott la faro bass,paul motian,drums,a classic desert isle disc...............oscar peterson.......night train............back to work

There's a Bill Evans album that I love here...Trio 1965, I think? Something like that. I'll dig it out tomorrow & let you know.

je

moldyoldy
03-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Dickey Betts & Great Southern

One of my top 10:applaud:

1. Out To Get Me Listen (http://javascript<b></b>:amz_js_PopWin('/gp/recsradio/radio/B000002ZDC/ref=pd_krex_dp_001_001/103-9748181-3451050?ie=UTF8&track=001&disc=001',winName,winArgs);void(0);)http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/detail/music/notes_clear.gif So true, so true...
2. Run Gypsy Run Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002ZDC001002/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_002/103-9748181-3451050) http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/detail/music/notes_clear.gif Pass me that jug...
3. Sweet Virginia Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002ZDC001003/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_003/103-9748181-3451050) http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/detail/music/notes_clear.gif We've all been there...
4. The Way Love Goes Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002ZDC001004/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_004/103-9748181-3451050) http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/detail/music/notes_clear.gif Women swoon
5. Nothing You Can Do Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002ZDC001005/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_005/103-9748181-3451050) http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/detail/music/notes_clear.gif Some of Dickey's hottest picking ever!
6. California Blues Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002ZDC001006/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_006/103-9748181-3451050) http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/detail/music/notes_clear.gif You had to be there....
7. Bougainvillea Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002ZDC001007/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_007/103-9748181-3451050) http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/detail/music/notes_clear.gif Oozes southern charm

jim campbell
03-11-2007, 08:38 AM
There's a Bill Evans album that I love here...Trio 1965, I think? Something like that. I'll dig it out tomorrow & let you know.

jeits earlier as scott la faro was killed within weeks.later he used sam jones,percy heath,and im not sure but eddie gomez comes to mind.saw oscar and joe pass together once as a duet and i thought it was a great show.i have albums of bill evans with scott la faro and they are,i think the best ones.portrait in jazz,waltz for debby,and explorations.i like everybody digs w/sam jones and philly joe jones.

jim campbell
03-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Dickey Betts & Great Southern

im probably going to have the best record collection in the poorhouse

SEAWOLF97
03-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Gabor Szabo - Gypsy Queen

then

Santana - Abraxas

(the only gold MFSL disk I've ever bought)

jim campbell
03-11-2007, 08:52 AM
street survivors........y'all

opimax
03-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I never miss Dickey Betts live, usuallly once in Baltimore and once in DC, Sometimes plan trips around his schedule when visiting friends and family...

An up tempo version of Little Martha, Killer!!

Sorry if this almost a dbl from before, too passionate I guess :)

I was going to nominnate him the guitarist thread...

Mark

jim campbell
03-12-2007, 07:21 AM
I never miss Dickey Betts live:)

I was going to nominnate him the guitarist thread...

Markhe definitely belongs there with the best of them

Fred Sanford
03-12-2007, 05:09 PM

je

Shawn Colvin's 'Polaroids' DVD has bits of her Sessions @ W54th show and her 3rd Austin City Limits appearance. That ACL was for her "Whole New You" tour I think, and had Bruce Hornsby, Alison Kraus and Lyle Lovett as guests. Not the one I'm looking for, but really good.

Listening to it now on the 4333As.

je

jim campbell
03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
im on the list for info as to new acl releases nut nothing since the guy clark set and that one has been delayed more than once

4313B
03-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Glen Campbell's concert for PBS with the Sioux Falls Orchestra on JBL 4355's with charge coupled last generation equivalent filters.

Incidentally, the Sioux Falls Orchestra put on a great Christmas Eve concert this past Christmas and a Russian Quartet was one of the featured guests. I'm still waiting for their CD to show up.

SEAWOLF97
03-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Siente Mi Amor - Salma Hayek
(breathless- sings like she looks...whew.)

Malaguena - Al DiMiola

jim campbell
03-13-2007, 07:03 PM
patricia barber........cafe blue

willy nelson.............stardust

jim campbell
03-14-2007, 02:49 PM
howlin wolf..............howlin wolf-moanin in the moonlight.........twofer

Fred Sanford
03-14-2007, 03:47 PM
T. Rex 'Electric Warrior'

je

loach71
03-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Maia Sharp -- Hardly Glamour

Robh3606
03-14-2007, 07:48 PM
For all you Neil Young fans the Massey Hall 1971 concert is worth a look. I got the DVD/CD combo. The DVD is Stereo 24/96 of the entire show. Sounds damn good even on CD. I have the CD on now. It all solo acoustic. Got the new JC Mellancamp CD too. I have to give it a spin as well.

jim campbell
03-14-2007, 09:05 PM
and the wish list continues to grow exponentially...................

jim campbell
03-14-2007, 09:11 PM
just about forgot ..............randy newman.....................good ol boys

jim campbell
03-15-2007, 05:13 PM
sly and the family stone.......theres a riot goin on

Bonder
03-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Greg Brown - Poet Game
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

jim campbell
03-16-2007, 01:29 PM
aretha franklin...........gospel..............recorded live in church at 16 yrs old. the poor sound quality just cant hide that voice.should be required reading for fans of aretha franklin

jim campbell
03-19-2007, 12:18 PM
just peeling the wrapper from modern times ...........by that guy from mn and neil young and crazy horse at the fillmore...........hmv 2 fer 25 bucks.......gotta love those

Storm
03-19-2007, 01:04 PM
CD

Michael McDonald - Best of..

-Storm.

jim campbell
03-19-2007, 08:52 PM
cannonball adderly......somethin else....1958

miles davis......trumpet
hank jones .....piano
sam jones.......bass
art blakely......drums

jim campbell
03-20-2007, 06:48 PM
fairport convention...............what we did on our holidays

jim campbell
03-21-2007, 09:36 PM
bill evans..............everybody digs...........peace piece............threads not the same without the wolf........

jim campbell
03-22-2007, 06:23 PM
morrison hotel.............doors
in a silent way.............miles davis

scubadude
03-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Haaa, so wait a minute, you guys actually like music too..........

Lots of great recommendations here, my tastes are wide and open from the classic to the electronica...

Try this:
Morphine, they do a JBL justice.

"Yes" or "Cure for Pain" first, then the rest. I own em all :)

jim campbell
03-22-2007, 10:09 PM
great gear is like a limo to the event.for some a ferarri or porche,others a,bentley,but the event is the thing.some guys like to drive em and some like to build or tinker,and there are even those who collect.

SEAWOLF97
03-23-2007, 08:08 AM
..threads not the same without the wolf........

Jim

Its nice to see someone else enjoying the music and unconcerned about the initials on his gear. Despite that other yahoo, keep on posting. They are read.

TOM

hjames
03-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Jim

Its nice to see someone else enjoying the music and unconcerned about the initials on his gear. Despite that other yahoo, keep on posting. They are read.

TOM

Hey! Good to see you back!

I'm staying in the friendly areas - the off topic stuff can burn on without me!

(I'm expecting my HK-refurb receiver to arrive late Monday - can't do preamp out with my loyal JVC receiver ...)

SEAWOLF97
03-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Hey! Good to see you back!

Thanx HJ, but I'm not back to SHF. Just contributing some moral support to a friend after an unprovoked attack on him. At least the mods closed off that mess quickly.

Ken Pachkowsky
03-23-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm staying in the friendly areas - the off topic stuff can burn on without me!

Gary Burton

Saw him play live once with Al Demiola at a small Jazz Club in get this...Moncton,NB Canada.

Was 1986

Ken

hjames
03-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Gary Burton

Saw him play live once with Al Demiola at a small Jazz Club in get this...Moncton,NB Canada.

Was 1986

Ken
Saw him at "An Evening of ECM music" at the Kennedy Center (Wash, DC) circa late 70s ... him and Eberhard Weber and a number of other folks - tho Pat Metheney had already left the "New Quartet" Very neat show.

The video is pretty cool (http://www.amazon.com/Live-Gary-Burton/dp/B00007CVTE/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-0904931-7259949?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1174663179&sr=1-2)- from 81 - not much later than when I saw him -
I saw it listed on Amazon a few weeks ago and thought it'd be a fun disc. NTSC on one side, PAL on the other - both regionless.

jim campbell
03-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Saw him at "An Evening of ECM music" at the Kennedy Center (Wash, DC) circa late 70s ... him and Eberhard Weber and a number of other folks - tho Pat Metheney had already left the "New Quartet" Very neat show.

The video is pretty cool (http://www.amazon.com/Live-Gary-Burton/dp/B00007CVTE/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-0904931-7259949?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1174663179&sr=1-2)- from 81 - not much later than when I saw him -
I saw it listed on Amazon a few weeks ago and thought it'd be a fun disc. NTSC on one side, PAL on the other - both regionless.sounds like the passengers period.......i used to have it on vinyl and it was a rare bad pressing from ecm so i sold it d'oh..........welcome back wolf!!!!!!!!!

Audiobeer
03-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Eddie Murphy "My Baby wants to Party all the time"!

SEAWOLF97
03-24-2007, 09:00 PM
welcome back wolf!!!!!!!!!

spent the whole day rebuilding this silly PC box. Its up and doing net and email. Gonna be all day Sunday reloading apps. 200gb to reload. ugh.

So whatcha got playing , now , Jim ?

JBL Dog
03-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Eddie Murphy "My Baby wants to Party all the time"!

That inspired me to dust off the 12" version of Chunky A's "Owww"

jim campbell
03-25-2007, 07:22 AM
So whatcha got playing , now , Jim ?wrap party other day kind of music'd out for a bit.just got daniel lanois shine from amazon the other day and soon as i have time ill put it on.snow is finally melting here and now its time to get my babies home,after i do the insurance thing on my pickup.production has volunteered to pick up the deductable.see ya

jim campbell
03-25-2007, 07:00 PM
gil scott heron......reflections

SEAWOLF97
03-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Their Satanic Majesty's Request - RS

(a real treat on headphones)

jim campbell
03-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Their Satanic Majesty's Request - RS

(a real treat on headphones)

i got the sacd at home and the generic in the truck and i just played it the other day.i can remember playing citadel over and over on the old motorola back in the day and 2000 light years ...............

SEAWOLF97
03-26-2007, 11:21 AM
and 2000 light years ...............

and, in another land ....

amasing, the sound effects they got out of their instruments.

Hoerninger
03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
i got the sacd at home and the generic in the truck and i just played it the other day. ...
Is it worth the sacd?
I'm still missing Their Satanic Majesty's Request - RS in my collection.
Normally I do ebay LP versions of the Stones.

SEAWOLF97
03-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Is it worth the sacd?

TSMR and Tatoo You and Sticky Fingers are their best ...IMHO

jim campbell
03-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Is it worth the sacd?
if you are into the stones of that period yes.i have nearly all of them except for some of the versions duplicated as us or uk.satanic majesties to me was the stones finally finding their creativity and breaking away from the covers that they started their career with.beggars banqet, let it bleed,and sticky fingers are di discs.the sacd hybrids are not prohibitively expensive and hot rocks vol 1 is a good place to start.if you can find a good vinyl copy by all means but they are 40 years old now and every copy ive ever seen someone tried the maze

Hoerninger
03-26-2007, 01:51 PM
if you can find a good vinyl copy by all means but they are 40 years old now and every copy ive ever seen someone tried the maze
Luckily I have got some LPs just as new for a low price. I've read some rereleases as CDs are really crap, and I have heard some of these. About the Stones SACDs there was a very sorrow review in German Stereoplay which arose my interest.

[Just for understanding:
di disks? maze?]

jim campbell
03-26-2007, 02:01 PM
[Just for understanding:
di disks? maze?]the original album came with a gatefold sleeve and on the inner cover there was a maze which most folks tried in ink of course

jim campbell
03-26-2007, 04:55 PM
audience............house on the hill........unfortunately the song line up is different on the cd and the powerhouse of nancy,i had a dream,i put a spell on you,and house on the hill is broken up

hjames
03-26-2007, 07:07 PM
The Original album came with a plastic defraction grating over the photo so the stones "shifted" back and forth when you moved your head. I got that version of the album ...
but I prefer Sticky Fingers; Let it Bleed; Beggar's Banquet ...

the original album came with a gatefold sleeve and on the inner cover there was a maze which most folks tried in ink of course

jim campbell
03-26-2007, 08:01 PM
yep thats the one,and me too those three are the desert isle stuff.right up to exile and then goats head soup wtf :bomb:

jim campbell
03-26-2007, 08:11 PM
and since you mentioned it ....sticky fingers is on now

jim campbell
03-27-2007, 09:28 AM
[Just for understanding:
di disks? the discs you would take if stranded on a desert island

Hoerninger
03-27-2007, 09:56 AM
the discs you would take if stranded on a desert island
di - ok.
I think I'll go for TSMR and some more RS SACDs first, but I'll not buy the whole set.

SEAWOLF97
03-27-2007, 09:58 AM
#1 did =ABRAXAS

Hoerninger
03-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Abraxas :thmbsup: ; di :yes: ; did = desert island disk? :dont-know

hjames
03-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Abraxas :thmbsup: ; di :yes: ; did = desert island disk? :dont-know

Yep - its a major theme I've heard used in the US on Classical music radio stations:

"If you had to be stranded on a desert island, pick your top 10 Desert Island Discs and tell us why for each one."

The "why" is really the interesting part ...

Hoerninger
03-27-2007, 11:38 AM
NP:
BRAVO ROLLING STONES LP (DECCA/Teldec 1965, Gy)
Get off of my cloud
Talkin' 'bout you
Come On

... old stuff

jim campbell
03-27-2007, 04:44 PM
move on up......curtis mayfield............from a greatest hits package someone burned for me

SEAWOLF97
03-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Personal Spin Blog (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=15374) #712:

enjoyed TSMR so much the other night , that it got a return play.

(at night I hook the nano to Shure E2c's and it has a sleep timer, so works perfectly for
"in the rack, waiting to saw ZZZZ's" times.)

jim campbell
03-28-2007, 09:21 AM
di - ok.
I think I'll go for TSMR and some more RS SACDs first, but I'll not buy the whole set.
Petertheres a lot of duplication between the us releases and the uk stuff but ill probably end up with them all anyway.the beatles were huge with me till i saw the stones and all those albums were present here if not mine then friends of mine.i did pick up all the bobby zimmerman sacds and hope that the other half of his catalog get the treatment too.blonde on blonde,highway 61,freewheelin,bringing it all back home and probably a few others would rank very high on any top desert isle list of mine.

scubadude
03-28-2007, 12:10 PM
great gear is like a limo to the event.for some a ferarri or porche,others a,bentley,but the event is the thing.some guys like to drive em and some like to build or tinker,and there are even those who collect.

I agree. My vehicle preference was stated, sorry if that was taken offensively.

Jim

TOM

The "Yahoo" part was completely unappreciated. Not sure why you took that in a way that would cause you to belittle someone. Last time I checked I did enter this thread through a JBL Site. So far the site has been helpful and everyone polite. No need to be an arse, I'll take my musical preferences elsewhere.

jim campbell
03-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I agree. My vehicle preference was stated, sorry if that was taken offensively.

The "Yahoo" part was completely unappreciated. Not sure why you took that in a way that would cause you to belittle someone. Last time I checked I did enter this thread through a JBL Site. So far the site has been helpful and everyone polite. No need to be an arse, I'll take my musical preferences elsewhere.that comment was not directed at you nor was any offense taken by your post.theres been a bit of acrimony lately and you just walked in the middle of a gunfight and got your hat shot off.stick around a while.i think new orleans is underrepresented here anyhow.

SEAWOLF97
03-28-2007, 05:25 PM
that comment was not directed at you nor was any offense taken by your post.theres been a bit of acrimony lately and you just walked in the middle of a gunfight and got your hat shot off.stick around a while.i think new orleans is underrepresented here anyhow.

exactly. I was unaware that Scubadude had even posted. He assumed that a comment about SD was about him. Never ASSUME.

jim campbell
03-29-2007, 11:24 AM
big dave mcclean (last night) went to chicago as a kid and learned at the feet of some of the greats,they say.been kickin round here forever and still does it it the way it oughta be done..................delta style

mbask
03-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Stuck on ."Po Lightnin":applaud:

jim campbell
03-29-2007, 02:56 PM
hopkins?

mbask
03-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Yep

jim campbell
03-29-2007, 03:09 PM
found a son house best of a while back and it seems to be on a semi permanent sojourn in my pickup.

mbask
03-29-2007, 04:25 PM
right....did that once or twice myself. Son House is perfect for that.
Once.. it happened with Jeferson Starship "Modern Times" of all things......go figure.:dont-know

jim campbell
03-29-2007, 04:44 PM
hmmmmm.........i think id pay to get that one removed.i was a huge fan of the airplane and still havent recovered from their meltdown.i still like their version of wooden ships better than csn............i gotta go put that on

mbask
03-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Actualy..that's how i felt untill I saw them live in Frisco 1982 Nam Vets mem bennefit..Airplane/Starship, along with Grateful Dead, Country Joe &fish, and a bunch other SF heavies.. sitting in.
I went out and bought their latest tape which was "Modern times", bescause I was impressed with their performance.

side note: When Boz Scaggs was sitting in with the Dead for a few numbers..they did Butterfields "Got a mind To Give Up Living" Boz took the first solo, great solo!. then garcia!! holy siht!! ...that's when I realized just how good he was. Said to be.... a "Leader that refused to lead" ...ol jerry wasn't laking a competitive streak. funny guy.

oh thats right ...this is starting to sound like BS.
uh ..uh..Steferplane Jeffson...that's right...uhmm ...yeah..uh, they were real good ...dispite all the phase dist at the Moscone center..
seeya :uhmmmm:

jim campbell
03-30-2007, 11:17 AM
saw em back in the sixties...im told it was good:blink:

Hoerninger
03-30-2007, 12:13 PM
TSMR (SACD) just ordered. :wave:
Are there Tatoo You and Sticky Fingers on SACD too?
- Didn't find it.

SEAWOLF97
03-30-2007, 12:23 PM
- Didn't find it.

Outstanding Peter

Happy to see that others like TSMR as much as I do.

Sing this all together -- Citadel -- In another land -- 2000 man -- Sing this all together (see what happens) -- She's a rainbow -- The lantern -- Gomper -- 2000 light years from home -- On with the show.

As for the other 2, I dont know. TY is hard to find, even on normal CD.

jim campbell
03-30-2007, 01:18 PM
- Didn't find it.
Peterthe sacd releases were restricted to the abcko stuff there are about 22 in all including the best of's and the uk and us releases are somewhat overlapping.unfortunately sticky fingers didnt make the cut........

moldyoldy
03-30-2007, 04:32 PM
JOHN PRINE---SWEET REVENGE

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=24055&stc=1&d=1175297409

If you're a Prine fan, this is already in your collection. Dust it off and spin it.

If not,...you're missing out on , how shall I put it...a whole new way of looking at things...

links open WMA clips

1. Sweet Revenge
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001001/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_001/103-8239346-2116604)
2. Please Don't Bury Me
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001002/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_002/103-8239346-2116604)
3. Christmas In Prison
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001003/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_003/103-8239346-2116604)
4. Dear Abby
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001004/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_004/103-8239346-2116604)
5. Blue Umbrella
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001005/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_005/103-8239346-2116604)
6. Often Is A Word I Seldom Use
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001006/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_006/103-8239346-2116604)
7. Onomatopoeia
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001007/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_007/103-8239346-2116604)
8. Grandpa Was A Carpenter
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001008/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_008/103-8239346-2116604)
9. The Accident (Things Could Be Worse)
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001009/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_009/103-8239346-2116604)
10. Mexican Home
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001010/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_010/103-8239346-2116604)
11. A Good Time
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001011/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_011/103-8239346-2116604)
12. Nine Pound Hammer
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002I79001012/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_012/103-8239346-2116604)

jim campbell
03-30-2007, 04:57 PM
got the first one and the dvd.............i guess ill just add it to the list.........sigh.i looked up bella vista and it looks mighty close to the roller coaster ride we used to take thru the ozarks on the way to la or ms.in my neighborhood the bella vista is a little club with live music every now and then

jim campbell
03-30-2007, 06:14 PM
astral weeks...............the belfast cowboy............

moldyoldy
03-30-2007, 06:30 PM
...it looks mighty close to the roller coaster ride we used to take thru the ozarks on the way to la or ms.in my neighborhood the bella vista is a little club with live music every now and then

That'd be the one, but new roads have pushed the beginning of the ride to the Arkansas River (unless you know the back way). Just a little farther East (13 or 65), and it starts at the Missouri River. Grab some cool ones at the Lake of the Ozarks, and whooooeeee, it's downhill from there, boy, clean to NOLA! :bouncy:

(except for a few places where it's straight up...)

This one started as a little club with live music back in the '20s, but bears no resemblance now.

hjames
03-30-2007, 06:40 PM
astral weeks...............the belfast cowboy............
Good trigger!
Been meaning to listen to St Dominic's Preview all week!
I'll put on a tall stack of the Van man and let it play ...
I may even get to No Guru, No method, No Teacher later tonight
while I reconnect the Zilch-gear ...
IF I don't get into a tall stack of old van boots from ... I dare not say ...

Thanks!

jim campbell
03-30-2007, 07:01 PM
beer open,feet up,volume warp 9...................enjoy

SEAWOLF97
04-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Napalm for Breakfast - The Apocalypse Now sessions

the Rhythm Devils

(spooky jungle instrument percussion, perfect for the dark.)

jim campbell
04-02-2007, 09:04 AM
welcome back from the nether worlds wolf...........

SEAWOLF97
04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
welcome back from the nether worlds wolf...........

thanx......I was playing "living in limbo-land" all weekend.

Hoerninger
04-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Flashback in thread and time:

RS: 2000 light years from home
with electrostatic headphones :)

jim campbell
04-03-2007, 04:07 PM

next up beggars banquet,let it bleed.banquet is nothing like what you would expect from the stones but its a great album.sticky fingers and exile on main st are up there too but they didnt make sacd...........yet.so what were your impressions of tsmr.

SEAWOLF97
04-03-2007, 06:43 PM

I want to hear your full review of TSMR, Peter.

SEAWOLF97
04-03-2007, 06:47 PM
next up beggars banquet,

Mick does a pretty good southern boy drawl (Dear Doctor)

WOW ..maybe this news flash explains some things ??

Keith Richards tells of snorting his dad's ashes with cocaine

Keith Richards admits ingesting all manner of substances in his time. But none quite as bizarre as he reveals in his latest confession: he snorted his father's ashes.

In a wide-ranging interview published today, the 63-year-old veteran of tequila breakfasts and drug marathons described how he once sampled his father's ashes mixed with cocaine. "The strangest thing I've tried to snort? My father. I snorted my father," he told NME magazine.
"He was cremated and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn't have cared, he didn't give a shit. It went down pretty well, and I'm still alive."

Hoerninger
04-04-2007, 12:19 AM
.so what were your impressions of tsmr.

I want to hear your full review of TSMR, Peter.
In my youth I collected Stones on reel to reel. The first LPs I got complete, but than it thinned out. TSMR has been missing.
Now listening to the purchased new CD, after each bar /beat I can say, yes that's it - nothing has been lost in mind.

Sing this all together
After a shrill, tensioned start with a nice rusty guitar - it sounds like a school choir at its best day. But there is more to come.
Citadel
RS at their best, powerfully driven rythm. I like that guitars.
In another land
Not much to say. It could be a title on any other Stones sampler, now with a psychodelic touch.
2000 man
This time Charly gives a good rythm pattern. During some passages the powerful RR of the Stones is coming through.
Sing this all together (see what happens)
Starting with "Flower power ... where is that joint?"
lengthy, psychodelic - Pink Floyd can do it much better.
She's a rainbow
My must-have-title from TSMR, I would miss it. Although it reminds me of "Between the Buttons" quite often.
The lantern
Beautifully made with dark nightly bells at the beginning.
Gomper
TMSR was published after Sgt.Peppers, so this is the adequat to "Within you without you" with tabla rythm and something sounding like a sitar. Nice.
2000 light years from home
When I think of TMSR then I think of this title. I can listen to it several times in series. Mainly it is the rythm - and the rusty guitar of course.
On with the show
Sgt.Peppers had a finalizing song, so here as well.

But I would not call TSMR a copy in any aspect, it is very colorful and it reminds me of many other things in music.

jim campbell
04-04-2007, 08:21 AM
you have beggars banquet on reel?was it a good quality dub?i see you live in the land of studer and if thats what you have they should sound really good

SEAWOLF97
04-04-2007, 09:16 AM
The lantern

I listened to this again last night and noticed an error ? At the first 30 seconds or so, Wymans guitar is comming in very weak, almost like a print thru on 2 or 3 licks, then picks up strong. Like there was a bad connection, then the engineer realized and fixed, but wasnt redone ?

SEAWOLF97
04-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Sing this all together
After a shrill, tensioned start with a nice rusty guitar - it sounds like a school choir at its best day. But there is more to come.
Citadel
RS at their best, powerfully driven rythm. I like that guitars.

totally agree, Candy and Cathy come to the Citadel.

In another land
Not much to say. It could be a title on any other Stones sampler, now with a psychodelic touch.

I like this one more than most people.

2000 man
This time Charly gives a good rythm pattern. During some passages the powerful RR of the Stones is coming through.

this is the weak track for me.

Sing this all together (see what happens)
Starting with "Flower power ... where is that joint?"
lengthy, psychodelic - Pink Floyd can do it much better.

also enjoy this

She's a rainbow
My must-have-title from TSMR, I would miss it. Although it reminds me of "Between the Buttons" quite often.

belongs on a "greatest hits" collection.

The lantern

one of the best 3 on here.

Gomper
TMSR was published after Sgt.Peppers, so this is the adequat to "Within you without you" with tabla rythm and something sounding like a sitar. Nice.
2000 light years from home
When I think of TMSR then I think of this title. I can listen to it several times in series. Mainly it is the rythm - and the rusty guitar of course.

"When I think of TMSR then I think of this title" ...exactly.

On with the show
Sgt.Peppers had a finalizing song, so here as well.

my take.

Hoerninger
04-04-2007, 12:50 PM
At the first 30 seconds or so, Wymans guitar is comming in very weak, almost like a print thru on 2 or 3 licks, then picks up strong.

The guitar is in time with the music, so no print through I suppose. The whole song sounds like a simple multitrack recording, may be they have decided later to mix up (?) the guitar not from the start.
It's the Rolling Stones, nothing is perfect or

It is not a bug, it is a feature.__________
Peter

jim campbell
04-04-2007, 12:57 PM
The guitar is in time with the music, so no print through I suppose. The whole song sounds like a simple multitrack recording, may be they have decided later to mix up (?) the guitar not from the start.
It's the Rolling Stones, nothing is perfect or
Peterlets not forget that sgt peppers was the one of the beatles earliest real use of multi tracking and that satanic majesties came out on the heels of that.considering the newness of the technology available and the learning curve of the techs at the time it came off rather well i think......is newness an actual word???...hmm

Hoerninger
04-04-2007, 01:06 PM
you have beggars banquet on reel?was it a good quality dub?i see you live in the land of studer and if thats what you have they should sound really good
In the late sixties I used a Philips Pro12 (semiprofessionel, but four tracks).
And I do not want to talk about that TT, no I really do not want to do that.
I have never had Beggars Banquet.
Land of Studer is Switzerland, we did not even know about it.

And the schoolbands were dreaming of JBL - unaffordable.

Hoerninger
04-04-2007, 01:19 PM
......is newness an actual word???...hmm
Well Jim :hmm: ,

my online dictionary tells me ... YES ! :applaud: Now I have outed me. :slink:

jim campbell
04-04-2007, 01:36 PM
my bad...i always thought willy was german.........oh well.........still beggars banquet should be in your collection....on sacd if possible.note.....taking my musical advice can lead to bankruptcy,divorce or both....but with a great soundtrack