PDA

View Full Version : What to Do

gr42ai
12-19-2009, 04:57 PM
I have a pair of CL45 Cabinets with LE 130A Drivers, LE175/H91 Tweeters, L91 Lenses and N1200 Frequency Dividers. I have had these for about 20 years, the domes in the tweeters were replaced about the same time I got the speakers. The drivers were re-coned about 15 years ago and need to be done again. The dividers are also blown and have been bypassed with a using a resistor.

The question is, do I sell them as is (what are they worth), put them in the corner of the garage and wait till I can afford to have the drivers repaired. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Guy

mech986
12-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi, Welcome to Lansing Heritage.

Interesting question but we'll need a bit more information.

1. For the LE130's by recone, do you mean the voice coils are damaged so you need to replace the entire voice coil, cone, and surround as an assembly? If so, the cost will be substantial with JBL parts and an authorized repair center installing them.

2. In a related question, the dividers (or crossover networks) are damaged with some component(s) bypassed with a resistors? Do you have any pics of the circuits and/or temp. repair? How were the crossovers and woofers damaged, excessive volume, too small amplifier, or a amp fault?

3. If the repairs are too costly, you could certainly try to get some value out of the cabinets and drivers as they are and then get another speaker.

4. If you like the cabinet style, you could research some other options in creating a new speaker in it such as a different set of JBL drivers ("loads") as they were called then. You could research using some old catalogs in the JBL library on this site. You'd likely have to repair the drivers or search and acquire other vintage JBL drivers.

5. You could also get some good JBL woofers that fit and the E-Wave them with some contemporary mid/tweeter systems. Search here and on AudioKarma.org for details.

6. You'll still have to solve any amplification problem that caused this in the first place.

Take some pics of the cabs, drivers, and crossovers to let us see what you're working with.

Again, Welcome!

Regards,

Bart

gr42ai
12-20-2009, 11:32 PM

I don't believe the voice coils are bad, I think they just need to be re coned.

I must apologize for the abuse these speakers have received. Less then a week after I brought them home from being rebuilt my landlord was doing some work on the house and dropped a tool that went straight through the cone. while upset I wasn't about to send them away for another 3-4 months. After that I decided that getting a couple of kittens was a good idea, well they saw the hole my landlord made and wanted to find out what was on the other side.

gr42ai
12-20-2009, 11:41 PM
More pics

BMWCCA
12-21-2009, 08:02 AM
They look like 130As re-coned with D130s, or at least the aluminum dust dome, or maybe with a musical speaker cone kit? Expensive repair, either way. Good luck.

Jaxon
12-22-2009, 04:33 PM
. . . After that I decided that getting a couple of kittens was a good idea, well they saw the hole my landlord made and wanted to find out what was on the other side.

LMAO. I had just recently refoamed a set of LE-14A's from a pair of JBL Dorians I was fixing up. Then I got a kitten. One day I came home from work and there was all this "stuff" all over the carpet. The new kitten removed every bit of the new surrounds I had just put on the speakers. :banghead:

Eaulive
12-23-2009, 09:55 AM
I hate those pests.
Yes, I said "pest" it's not a typo. :biting:

gr42ai
12-23-2009, 03:02 PM
If I wanted to have these repaired how much should it cost and any recommendations on a place to have it done.

Any idea on the value if I where to consider selling them?

Guy

hjames
12-23-2009, 03:50 PM
No idea - put them on ebay with a full set of pictures and let the world decide - if anyone wants to take a gamble on such abused speakers.

The real issue is they are big, heavy boxes - so shipping will be pricey, and with unknown value on the components - most any buyer would assume the worst and only offer core value ... and they'd expect to have to rebuild all the parts before they'd be usable.

If I wanted to have these repaired how much should it cost and any recommendations on a place to have it done.

Any idea on the value if I where to consider selling them?

Guy