PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

Robh3606
12-18-2009, 06:08 PM
I took my son to see it today and it was great fun. The 3D is simply amazing you feel like you are in the forest on Pandora. It's a bit predictable but other than that if you are a Sci-Fi fan just go with it. The alien world is just beautiful, reminded me of alien worlds drawn but Roger Dean.

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
12-19-2009, 01:33 AM
The alien world is just beautiful, reminded me of alien worlds drawn but Roger Dean. YES... yes it did. ;)

A friend of mine invited me to see the movie at Skywalker Ranch. Wow! I have never seen or heard anything quite like it.

The story? Way too predictable and a bit saccharine but it is still worth seeing at a major theater.

Widget

boputnam
12-19-2009, 12:42 PM
The story? Way too predictable and a bit saccharine but it is still worth seeing at a major theater.That was my take just from the endless "trailers" shown everywhere. It seemed to have potential at the start, but once things got animated it became all so Disney-fied, to me.

I would have loved that Skywaker Ranch experience! Did you take any pictures of the room?

Mr. Widget
12-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I would have loved that Skywaker Ranch experience! Did you take any pictures of the room?No, I didn't have Doug's cell phone with me. :D

Seriously though, it was an audio and video WOW! experience. Avatar was shown at the main theater at Skywalker Sound... the place is as beautiful as it technically advanced. We used the same plastic dichroic filter glasses that regular Dolby 3-D theaters would have. If this 3-D craze continues, I think I'd pop for the $80 glasses that my buddy's team used while working on the film.

For those interested in such things... except for the stainless steel railings, light fixtures, and projection room window, every inch of every surface was covered in fabric... the walls and ceiling were all covered in acoustic fabric and quite amply padded.

Here are a couple of web pics.

Widget

rlsound
12-19-2009, 05:12 PM
That's the " Stag " theater at Skywalker. Custom 3 way TADs for L C R with Meyer Subs. Processing by Dolby Lake.

toddalin
12-23-2009, 10:58 AM
We saw it in IMAX 3-D last Tuesday. Very cool!

I leaned over to Linda during the movie and said, "They modeled the landscape (floating mountains, arches, foilage, and all) after the YES albums' artwork.

Went home, looked at the Yes Fragile album and saw (remembered) that Roger Dean did Yes, Asia, Uriah Heap, and a few others artwork. Went on-line to find a larger sampling of his art, showed it to Linda, and she agreed that it looked like a rip-off.

Flight of Icarus
http://www.rogerdean.com/typo3temp/pics/1ad5c60559.jpg

Floating Islands
http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/FloatingIslandsPomPoster-Roger_Dean.jpg

Freyja's Castle
http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/FreyjasCastle_Dean.jpg

Allanvh5150
12-24-2009, 03:19 AM
I leaned over to Linda during the movie and said, "They modeled the landscape (floating mountains, arches, foilage, and all) after the YES albums' artwork.

Or you could say it was modeled from the New Zealand native bush where most of the special effects were done...........

Allan.

stephane RAME
12-24-2009, 03:46 AM
Link to the studio http://www.skysound.com/

Stéphane:)

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11750
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19282

toddalin
12-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Or you could say it was modeled from the New Zealand native bush where most of the special effects were done...........

Allan.

I had no idea that the mountains in New Zealand floated in the air. :dont-know

I hope that my old '70 Corvette, now located in Christchurch, stays earthbound. :D

Allanvh5150
12-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I had no idea that the mountains in New Zealand floated in the air. :dont-know

I hope that my old '70 Corvette, now located in Christchurch, stays earthbound. :D

That completely depends on what you have been smoking...........

toddalin
12-24-2009, 11:37 AM
That completely depends on what you have been smoking...........

Kush!

JBL 4645
12-24-2009, 05:33 PM
it appears that this thread is in a forum reserved for :

Music (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
How you apply your Lansing gear.

it really s/b moved to:

Non Audio Discussions (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
Forum For Non Lansing Discussion on Recreational Topics
Now someone here has gone, bah humbug on us?:D

I think it would easier if there was JBL movie forum added to the site.

Keep the JBL music on its side
Keep the JBL movie on its side

:xmas::tree:

hjames
12-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes, definately in the style of the classic Roger Dean art ...

Seems others are seeing the same thing ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=avatar+roger+dean

Went home, looked at the Yes Fragile album and saw (remembered) that Roger Dean did Yes, Asia, Uriah Heap, and a few others artwork. Went on-line to find a larger sampling of his art, showed it to Linda, and she agreed that it looked like a rip-off.

speakerdave
12-27-2009, 01:31 AM
It was fun. I ducked once.

. . . . and she agreed that it looked like a rip-off. . . .

borrowings or homages or outright thefts
--as discussed above--Roger Dean landscapes
--Alien connection (Sigourney Weaver)
--open with a camera journey along a long space ship (Star Wars?)
--gentle, peaceful tree-dwelling natives nevertheless willing and able to fight for their homes using primitive technology (ewoks)
--monsters and fighting machines in a jungle (Terminator)
--characters going into technologically controlled submerged state to manifest in another reality (The Matrix)
--the huge flying steeds are an old motif from a childhood story which I can remember, but cannot place

also

politically correct green theme
politically correct hero in a wheelchair
ambivalent characterization of the military

As I said, I enjoyed it, but James Cameron's mind is deeply cliched or he is a shameless expropriator of other peoples ideas and successes, and public sentiments.

kenratboy
12-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I've got to say, I pretty much forgot the story or the characters. I just got so caught up in the geeky technical aspects, I was in heaven for that 2.5 hours. It was almost like a less-dumb Michael Bay movie!

Going to see it again probably tomorrow. There is a nice Barco waiting for me.

Oh, and I would love to spend the money for some better 3D glasses if this caught on. I know I am missing something with the cheapies they give you (in terms of comfort and performance.

toddalin
12-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Oh, and I would love to spend the money for some better 3D glasses if this caught on. I know I am missing something with the cheapies they give you (in terms of comfort and performance.

When the Irvine Spectrum IMAX first opened, they gave you LCD shutter glasses that would alternately close over the left, then right eye, and were wirelessly, in-sync to the movie. These glasses also had built-in speakers, but they went unused with the 12,000 Watt JBL sound system. (I know that 12,000 watts seems small in an IMAX, but that is what they say in the initial orientation.)

Anyway, those lasted for one movie that I saw (an underseas documentary) never to be seen again in favor of the cheap, plastic, polarized glasses. Those LCD shutters provided a more spectacular 3-D interpretation, but were obviously heavier.

BTW, some of the new TOTL television sets (Mitsubishi for one), now makes their sets 3-D compatible, meaning that you only need the right player, software, and glasses to go with the set.

Ducatista47
12-27-2009, 11:57 AM
--open with a camera journey along a long space ship (Star Wars?)

I believe every such shot must be derivative of the first shot of the Discovery One in 2001. That movie had so many firsts and best-evers that I can't even think of most of them. The other SciFi that broke a lot of technical ground that comes to mind is Tron. Me, I'll still take Forbidden Planet over both of them. Hardly the only film based on Shakespeare's The Tempest, but my favorite of them.

Maybe the ground breaking technique in 2001 that is not copied nearly enough is forgoing cheesy Disney dialog for almost no dialog. Speaking of sound, the most thunderous bass I ever heard at the movies was when HAL, in 2010, told the crew how nice it had been working with them and then quietly said, "Ignition. Full thrust." What followed made me feel like I was on board.

Clark

herki the cat
12-27-2009, 06:32 PM
[Quote = Stéphane RAME :);273633 Link to http://www.skysound.com/...]
-------------------------------------
Thank you kindly, Stéphane RAME, for the Link; if you enjoyed the Magnificient Skywalker Sound, you must see how they did it in:
MITat theMOVIES @http://www.mitcables.co.nz/pdf/mit_movies.pdf

Then Google: "MIT.com" & explore Bruce Brisson's numerous,patent exerpts which explain all the MIT technology and the complete professional quality product items available at $100 more or less.
---------------------------------
Cheers, Herki the cat

scott fitlin
12-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I took my son to see it today and it was great fun. The 3D is simply amazing you feel like you are in the forest on Pandora. It's a bit predictable but other than that if you are a Sci-Fi fan just go with it. The alien world is just beautiful, reminded me of alien worlds drawn but Roger Dean.

Rob:)I went last night to see Avatar. The cinematography was amazing. The 3D images were very open, and panoramic. I also thought the 3d was amazing. But I thought the story was a smidge weak, and at 2hr, 45min, just a bit long.

The soundtrack, now, that is a fantastic soundtrack, and I bought that today. James Horner's music is wonderful. Climbing Up To Iknimaya- The Path To Heaven, and Jakes First Flight, are my two favorite musical pieces from the soundtrack.

I recommend buying the Avatar soundtrack even if you don't see the movie.

Now I'm waiting for The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus to open in theaters.

JBL 4645
12-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Stéphane:)
[quote=stephane RAME;273633]Link to http://www.skysound.com/... if you enjoyed the Magnificient Skywalker sound, you must see how they did it in:
MITat theMOVIES @http://www.mitcables.co.nz/pdf/mit_movies.pdf

Then Google: " Musical Interface Technology" & explore Bruce Brisson's numerous patents which explain all the MIT technology and the complete professional quality product items available at $100 more or less.
---------------------------------------------------
Cheers, Herki the cat

Thanks for the link I always wondered what the screen layout was like in their THX stag cinema. That is rare image of the five-screen and sub bass arrays.:bouncy:

x8 subs I count thou I wouldn’t be surprised if there are two more of the far end of the screen making it x10 thou I’d go with x8.

JBL 4645
12-27-2009, 11:11 PM
I went last night to see Avatar. The cinematography was amazing. The 3D images were very open, and panoramic. I also thought the 3d was amazing. But I thought the story was a smidge weak, and at 2hr, 45min, just a bit long.

The soundtrack, now, that is a fantastic soundtrack, and I bought that today. James Horner's music is wonderful. Climbing Up To Iknimaya- The Path To Heaven, and Jakes First Flight, are my two favorite musical pieces from the soundtrack.

I recommend buying the Avatar soundtrack even if you don't see the movie.

Now I'm waiting for The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus to open in theaters.

But what of the film mix, what was it like?

Did it have in the way of any wild, wild dialogue panning or was it mostly centre channel with few off-screen voices?

What were the split-surrounds’ like did they also help to involve you in the action?

Was the sub bass noticeable or well blended so that you don’t notice it sticking out like sore thumb?

Was it presented in
Dolby
dts
SDDS8

And the most important question? Was the cinema a JBL installation?;)

Was it a THX cinema and what of the pictures as well of the cinema after the show and few quickies of the cinema then peg it out the exit before the usher beats you with her broomstick!:D

I’ll have a look around youtube see if anyone has upload the new James Horner Avatar score.

kenratboy
12-27-2009, 11:18 PM
No way, the finest Bose installation money can buy! Those 5" subs hit you pretty hard :p

JBL 4645
12-27-2009, 11:22 PM
No way, the finest Bose installation money can buy! Those 5" subs hit you pretty hard :p

My cat will piss all over Bose!

Now go and wash your mouth out with anti-Bose washing up liquid.:D

Allanvh5150
12-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Interesting that Lucasfilm come all the way to New Zealand to purchase thier interconnects......

Allan.

JBL 4645
12-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Interesting that Lucasfilm come all the way to New Zealand to purchase thier interconnects......

Allan.

Sounds like they’ll go to any length to travel the Earth and test cables to get THX certified.:p:D

“Glory” (1989) was on that list so I wonder what cables Glory used? Then again that was mixed at Soundelux.;)

kenratboy
12-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Fun fact while we are talking about cats (AND it is JBL-related!)

My cat had a thing for going inside my 4648A-8...not with the woofers removed, but right through the ports! Scared the hell out of me (first time it happened, I saw him coming OUT!). Now, the ports are closed for feline ingress.

JBL 4645
12-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Fun fact while we are talking about cats (AND it is JBL-related!)

My cat had a thing for going inside my 4648A-8...not with the woofers removed, but right through the ports! Scared the hell out of me (first time it happened, I saw him coming OUT!). Now, the ports are closed for feline ingress.

Yeah I shall say so otherwise if he hears a sound he doesn’t like he might be tempted start spraying! :D

My cat, Sooty, as also done that when he was kitten and did it several times, pain in the ass first time, I had to remove the 18” sub driver. Today, he still tries to stick his head in the port but if the head won’t fit the body won’t ether.;)

Cats have frequency response 40Hz to 90KHz. A cat would listening out for high pitched squeak that of a mouse?

Allanvh5150
12-27-2009, 11:50 PM
[quote=herki the cat;273880]Stéphane:)

Thanks for the link I always wondered what the screen layout was like in their THX stag cinema. That is rare image of the five-screen and sub bass arrays.:bouncy:

x8 subs I count thou I wouldn’t be surprised if there are two more of the far end of the screen making it x10 thou I’d go with x8.

I think you missed the 2 behind the ladder. They have 31Kw, 5 screen channels, 10 subs and a couple of dozen surrounds.

scott fitlin
12-27-2009, 11:53 PM
But what of the film mix, what was it like?

Did it have in the way of any wild, wild dialogue panning or was it mostly centre channel with few off-screen voices?

What were the split-surrounds’ like did they also help to involve you in the action?

Was the sub bass noticeable or well blended so that you don’t notice it sticking out like sore thumb?

Was it presented in
Dolby
dts
SDDS8

And the most important question? Was the cinema a JBL installation?;)

Was it a THX cinema and what of the pictures as well of the cinema after the show and few quickies of the cinema then peg it out the exit before the usher beats you with her broomstick!:D

I’ll have a look around youtube see if anyone has upload the new James Horner Avatar score.

:xmas::tree:The sound at the theater I saw Avatar at was dolby, and NOT spectacular, IMO, others may feel differently. One thing I thought in particular, was the soundtrack was not very upfront, and sort of background when it should have been predominant. BUT, I had heard the soundtrack a week earlier, listening to some gadgets at the Apple store, and, that is what prompted me to go and see the movie.

Over a nice listening system, the Avatar soundtrack is incredible.

JBL 4645
12-27-2009, 11:58 PM
The sound at the theater I saw Avatar at was dolby, and NOT spectacular. IMO, others may feel differently. One thing I thought in particular, was the soundtrack was not very upfront, and sort of background when it should have been predominant. BUT, I had heard the soundtrack a week earlier, listening to some gadgets at the Apple store, and, that is what prompted me to go and see the movie.

Over a nice listening system, the Avatar soundtrack is incredible.

Well I’ll wait to the Bluray hits the stores around summertime 2010 I guess?

The local cinemas I wouldn’t even bother with and you know my feelings about the Odeon LS screen6, no way in hell am I paying up front to £13.50 maybe £15.00 pounds with 3D glasses.

I’m real pissed off the Empire, didn’t get this booked in for exclusive 56KW THX Dolby3D.:banghead:

To me the concept of 3D is
Forwards and backwards
Side to side
Up and down

3D films can’t go away where expect up on screen and only show depth of field to the image.

The sound kinder goes in 3D it can go
Forwards and backwards
Side to side
Up and down

No wait they do have height surround that was only exhibited once in the cinema, We Where Soldiers.

What’s needed now is bottom blow surround so sound can swoop underneath the seating.

I would have thought Cameron can at least force Skywalker Sound to come up with something more original in sound.

It’s the 21st century!

The basic common three screen has been around since 1940 “Fantasia”. Five screen since the 1960’s the surround array hasn’t really evolved that much ether, apart from split-surrounds to later matrix surround EX.

I might install my own underneath surround if I had wooden floor which I don’t have. Stick them flush into the floor with reinforced metal grills.

No drinking allowed because liquid will cow the speakers up if spilled.
Now you might ask how will bottom underneath surround work?

It should be effective in flying scenes outer space or underwater or even rain effects as rain only sounds when it lands on the surface or the first rain drop lands on the heights object then sounds but that would be milliseconds…

So a remix of “Top Gun” with F-14 flying around and swooping off screen to centre rear then roaring pitching downwards to the underneath surrounds then taking a sharp turn into the sidewall surrounds and back on screen again.

jcrobso
12-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Most good stories have similar things about them, The hero, the heron, going up against impossible odds.
This movie had all of them and then some. In this movie we are the bad guys, trying to steel another peoples world.
Over the years there are a few movies that took me to another place. In 1955 it was Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, then it was Star Wars and now Avatar. Yes, the plot was some what predictable, through the 3D and computer animation I felt that I had been transported to another world. In the beginning of the movie when the reason for this whole thing is they are after unobtanium I laughed, I guess they needed some reason for this whole thing. Imagine what it would sound like with unobtanium speaker cables.:blink:
Even though the sound is good, the visual is the focus of this movie, most of the movie takes place in the jungle.
I will see the movie again and take the grand kids, also will get the BR DVD.

JBL 4645
12-28-2009, 11:49 AM
I’m listening to the James Horner newest score "Avatar" (2009) score on youtube in Dolby stereo JBL wow not a bad score with a few, Aliens, Star Trek II he Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III The Search for Spock, Willow, Clear and Present Danger, Titanic, Braveheart, Beautiful Mind, Troy, and The Prefect Storm, popping up now then, shall I go on?:rolleyes: But hey I like it!:bouncy:

I have an ear for remembering these little details. Then again it’s James Horner’s musical signature style.;)

I’m not sure if this James Horner’s second longest score for film. "Titanic" (1997) clocked in at 3 hours and "Avatar" I think its 170 minutes?

Robh3606
12-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Hello 4645

Not that I remember. As a matter of fact the way they did the surrounds while in the forrest was great. You had a you are there from the 3D coupled with an enveloping soundstage that put you there as well. Combining the two was a great effect. Can't wait to get a copy at home for a listen there. Probably go see it again before it leaves the theaters.

It was very well done. I went to a new THX Stadium Seating theater with a JBL speaker system. Sat right smack in the middle so I would guess I was in the "spot". It was there when it was supposed to be and fit the scale of the action. I don't know what it was presented in as far a DD or DTS and franky it didn't matter. What ever it was it was damn good. The 3D Glasses are recycled where I was. You didn't pay for them they just went back into the bins to be cleaned and reused. Movies are expensive in England. I think I paid $13 a ticket which is expensive here.

JBL 4645
12-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Hello 4645

Not that I remember. As a matter of fact the way they did the surrounds while in the forrest was great. You had a you are there from the 3D coupled with an enveloping soundstage that put you there as well. Combining the two was a great effect. Can't wait to get a copy at home for a listen there. Probably go see it again before it leaves the theaters.

It was very well done. I went to a new THX Stadium Seating theater with a JBL speaker system. Sat right smack in the middle so I would guess I was in the "spot". It was there when it was supposed to be and fit the scale of the action. I don't know what it was presented in as far a DD or DTS and franky it didn't matter. What ever it was it was damn good. The 3D Glasses are recycled where I was. You didn't pay for them they just went back into the bins to be cleaned and reused. Movies are expensive in England. I think I paid $13 a ticket which is expensive here.

Rob

Evening there

$13.00 sounds like you got JBL THX deal! That would be like around £6.00 for augment sakes over here.

Sounds like you really enjoyed it as art form of science fiction.:bouncy:

Any pictures of this THX cinema you should ask the manager nicely with sugar on top if you can do review of it. Get the projectionist to show you, around and have peak behind that THX baffle wall.

I’m really digging this James Horner, score here at the moment.
I’m going to buy the CD next week.

Where the glasses Dolby3D or RealD as there’s two type of digital commercial digital 3D systems for cinema.

Sooty demonstrates RealD 3D glasses.:D

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39421&stc=1&d=1243045431

JBL 4645
12-28-2009, 12:41 PM
I’m going to give “Avatar” a second listen tonight and put it though the spectrumlab to see how low the sub bass goes.:bouncy:

Sooty also digs “Avatar”. He gives it 5 paws seal of JBL approval!;)

Wow the score gets better and, better and I like choir voices in it! This now is getting operatic!

jcrobso
12-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Only paid $8 (senior discount) including the glasses. I'll wait until it gets to the Tivoli in Downers Grove IL. The Tivoli was built in 1927 has been completely restored and updated with the latest projection and sound system. I'll ask what speakers they are using, I asked about 15 years ago and they said Klipsch.

JBL 4645
12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Only paid $8 (senior discount) including the glasses. I'll wait until it gets to the Tivoli in Downers Grove IL. The Tivoli was built in 1927 has been completely restored and updated with the latest projection and sound system. I'll ask what speakers they are using, I asked about 15 years ago and they said Klipsch.

Yeah that will be nice. Start a new thread on it, should be interesting.

scott fitlin
12-28-2009, 09:00 PM
We paid $12.00 each here in Austin, Tx, and also they recycle the 3D glasses. I had the Real 3D glasses, same as Sooty is wearing.

I read a few reviews from people who saw Avatar in Imax 3D, they say it was spectacular, both audio and visual. When I get back to NY, I might see Avatar again in Manhattans Imax theater.

JBL 4645
12-28-2009, 11:05 PM
scott
Sounds like you got a deal with that ticket price!

Well Avatar is in screen 6 at Empire Tower Park, but I’m not sure, I’m just not sure. The last film I saw in screen 6 was I, Robot and the sound was okay just lacked the wicked kick the Empire Leicester square gives you!:bouncy:

http://www.empirecinemas.co.uk/index.php?page=nowshowing&tbx_site_id=34 (http://www.empirecinemas.co.uk/index.php?page=nowshowing&tbx_site_id=34)

No I’m waiting for the Bluray. although I heard they had refit early this costing around £1.5 2.5 million?

What I think they might have done is installed new seating digital projectors next to the Cinemeccanica Vic V replaced some of the existing Dolby processors installed some new amps and the odd few extra subs in the remaining screens.

One time I had quick peek under the masking in one of the smaller screens I think it was screen 4. It had a x1 JBL 4645B I think they still had EV LCR fronts the surrounds weren’t JBL.

No, not worth going they’ve never really played it truly loud there even when I was projectionist there around late 1989. Then again they never had sub bass extension for Dolby A/SR optical tracks and never even bothered to install subs when dts was installed for Jurassic Park, not till around late 1990’s I guess.

Not worth spending my money there. Not for all the tea in China.

I’m truly pissed off its not playing at the Empire Leicester Square! :banghead:

toddalin
12-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Rob

$13.00 sounds like you got JBL THX deal! That would be like around £6.00 for augment sakes over here.

Where the glasses Dolby3D or RealD as there’s two type of digital commercial digital 3D systems for cinema.

We paid $16 each with an on-line premium to gaurantee seats when we got there.

Over here, they advertise three forms of 3-D; Digital 3-D, Real 3-D, and IMAX 3-D. We saw the IMAX 3-D.

Mr. Widget
12-29-2009, 10:14 AM
We saw the IMAX 3-D.I have been disappointed by IMAX presentations of most theatrical films as they seem a bit dark and the horizontal pans can look bad due to stobing due to too low of a frame rate.

I believe Avatar was released in a special IMAX 3D version which should take care of the brightness issue, but I wonder about the frame rate... I doubt they re-rendered it in the required 48 fps. Did you notice any strobing in fast pans?

Widget

toddalin
12-29-2009, 11:08 AM
I have been disappointed by IMAX presentations of most theatrical films as they seem a bit dark and the horizontal pans can look bad due to stobing due to too low of a frame rate.

I believe Avatar was released in a special IMAX 3D version which should take care of the brightness issue, but I wonder about the frame rate... I doubt they re-rendered it in the required 48 fps. Did you notice any strobing in fast pans?

Widget

No, not off-hand or that stood out in my mind. All of the 3-D movies seem a little dark to me, at least in part due to the glasses.

JBL 4645
12-29-2009, 11:29 AM
We paid $16 each with an on-line premium to gaurantee seats when we got there.

Over here, they advertise three forms of 3-D; Digital 3-D, Real 3-D, and IMAX 3-D. We saw the IMAX 3-D.

I’m not keen on IMAX I didn’t like 70mm IMAX 3D it had technical issues.

(If you move your head)
Up and down the image stays intact as 3D
If you turn your head side to side the image stays intact as 3D
If you role your head to left and right of your shoulder the image then becomes undone as IMAX 70mm 3D!

Now what I noticed with Dolby3D since I haven’t seen a 3D film in many years, not since the IMAX in Bournemouth got boot out of town!

I tried the above (If you move your head) the image stayed intact on all angles I even went as far as nearly doing a headstand to see if it stays intact as 3D because that is how it is in the real world.

The frame on the glasses was the next issue!

I could see it due to (peripheral vision).

If the frame was larger and came around the eyes a bit further so that all you see or notice is the filter for left and right eye.

Contact lens would be neat but someone I doubt we’d be doing that also I don’t think I’d won’t to ware your contact lens. Nothing personally, thou

Mr. Widget
12-29-2009, 11:30 AM
No, not off-hand or that stood out in my mind. All of the 3-D movies seem a little dark to me, at least in part due to the glasses.The strobing issue may be something that affects different viewers differently... I find it quite distracting.

3-D dark? I have to admit, Avatar is the first contemporary 3-D film I have seen... it was not dark in the least where I saw it. The presentation I saw was bright and quite captivating.

The problem with IMAX presentations of theatrical films is that the prints that the IMAX theaters get are not blown up to the full IMAX frame size so they are simply blowing up a much larger image from a standard film... quality suffers. I suppose this is a subjective point though... many people are wowed by the size and that is more important to them.

Widget

Mr. Widget
12-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I could see it due to (peripheral vision).The Dolby 3-D glasses at the theater I went to were not like those in your photo above. The lenses were dichroic and the frames had shields on the sides to eliminate peripheral vision.

Widget

toddalin
12-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I’m not keen on IMAX I didn’t like 70mm IMAX 3D it had technical issues.

(If you move your head)
Up and down the image stays intact as 3D
If you turn your head side to side the image stays intact as 3D
If you role your head to left and right of your shoulder the image then becomes undone as IMAX 70mm 3D!

Now what I noticed with Dolby3D since I haven’t seen a 3D film in many years, not since the IMAX in Bournemouth got boot out of town!

I tried the above (If you move your head) the image stayed intact on all angles I even went as far as nearly doing a headstand to see if it stays intact as 3D because that is how it is in the real world.

The frame on the glasses was the next issue!

I could see it due to (peripheral vision).

If the frame was larger and came around the eyes a bit further so that all you see or notice is the filter for left and right eye.

Contact lens would be neat but someone I doubt we’d be doing that also I don’t think I’d won’t to ware your contact lens. Nothing personally, thou

Our lenses were just yellow plastic frames with a "greyed" insert material. There was no attempt to block peripheral vision.

I tried the head tilt/roll and found that I could tilt my head considerably further than I could with the old polarized glasses before loosing effect. A typical head tilt was acceptable, whereas it is not acceptable with my polarized 3-D videos.

The best 3-D I've seen was with the IMAX LCD shutter glasses that alternately close the left then right eye in sync with the movie. The 3-D was very immersive and head postion had no effect at all. But they stopped that years ago. :(

JBL 4645
12-29-2009, 11:50 AM
The Dolby 3-D glasses at the theater I went to were not like those in your photo above. The lenses were dichroic and the frames had shields on the sides to eliminate peripheral vision.

Widget
I took a picture of the Dolby 3D glasses after I saw “Toy Story” 3D at the Empire October 2nd 2009.

The lens are colour filtered I think it was (green) and pink or that is how the tint of the red looked when holding it up to bright light it had (red-sih pinkish) colour.

Those (RealD) 3D glasses is some kind of polarised filter that is equal on both sides of the eye. They look cool warring them in the home. Kinder like soft room ambiance sunglass thou I don’t recommend you use these as outdoor sunglass.

Also I just remembered the cheaper IMAX 3D glasses for 70mm IMAX 3D are similar in the way that the filters are slightly grey light shade.

I wonder if RealD has the same issues when moving the head around.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=42146&stc=1&d=1254588782

toddalin
12-29-2009, 11:55 AM
3-D dark? I have to admit, Avatar is the first contemporary 3-D film I have seen... it was not dark in the least where I saw it. The presentation I saw was bright and quite captivating.

Widget

Agreed that Avatar was brighter than most, and totally acceptable.

However, we would like to see it on a plain old big screen to get an idea of how much brighter and more vibrant the colors can be. When you strap a couple filter on your eyes, you are bound to loose something in the areas of brightness and color rendition.

JBL 4645
12-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Our lenses were just yellow plastic frames with a "greyed" insert material. There was no attempt to block peripheral vision.

I tried the head tilt/roll and found that I could tilt my head considerably further than I could with the old polarized glasses before loosing effect. A typical head tilt was acceptable, whereas it is not acceptable with my polarized 3-D videos.

The best 3-D I've seen was with the IMAX LCD shutter glasses that alternately close the left then right eye in sync with the movie. The 3-D was very immersive and head postion had no effect at all. But they stopped that years ago. :(

Also the other downside to cinema 3D is the light level drops by so much %!

They are all in someway filtered just like sunglass filter light down for our eyes in bright sunlight.

I think cinema 3D has to go further because I feel cheated when watching 3D, its not as bad as those red and blue filter cardboard 3D glasses. Now those give you pain!:barf:

I can’t believe a few 3D films are popping up on DVD/bluray with those yuck of waste for glasses!:barf:

You can buy those shutter 3D glasses for home use. I have lame IMAX 3D film on DVD Haunted Castle that I also saw in IMAX 70mm 3D.

The home version just doesn’t work at all for DVD. The resolution for the end credits has these bubbles floating around on screen with the credits interested into the bubbles.

You can’t see them for sh!t on DVD even on large video projector! Also the colour is all wrong it dreadful looking!:barf:

I wouldn’t touch any DVD/Bluray with red and blue 3D glasses I’d wait until the can find away to get the newer 3D onto the format. :bouncy:

Cameron could have least placed holograph “Avatars” running around the cinema. Now I’ve seen this at Disney World Florida, February 1981 in Haunted House and it looked very, most impressive.

Allanvh5150
12-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I wouldn’t touch any DVD/Bluray with red and blue 3D glasses I’d wait until the can find away to get the newer 3D onto the format. :bouncy:

Just take a hit of acid before watching the movie. You will not need to wear the glasses and indeed you may not even need to watch a movie at all to get the same effect.

Allan.

JBL 4645
12-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Just take a hit of acid before watching the movie. You will not need to wear the glasses and indeed you may not even need to watch a movie at all to get the same effect.

Allan.
:rotfl:
Yeah like 2001: A Spaced Out Odyssey. I read that some were doing that back in 1968. :D

Yeah I think with those “Avatars” running out of the screen at you, after dropping acid, it would cause a panic attack in the cinema.:D

I just see it. Someone being wheeled out on stretcher while film is stopped and the patron yelling there coming there coming the Avatars are coming there all-around me! :D

And blanked face audience saying WTF! sounds like he’s on drugs. :D

JBL 4645
12-29-2009, 12:38 PM
The RealD glasses are lightweight over the Dolby 3D glasses.

http://www.rollanet.org/~vbeydler/van/3dreview/Dolby3Dglasses-550x290.jpg

http://celluloidjunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/reald-3d-glasses.jpg
Yeah that’s the ones I wore at the Bournemouth Sheridan IMAX

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1356/782186317_2c6826b956_b.jpg

I guess these are for seniors that need large frames! They look totally ridiculous if you ask me. :D

http://www.alisonwheeler.org.uk/rsrc/pics/imax3d.jpg

JBL 4645
12-29-2009, 12:47 PM
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/images/imax/howworks_3D_back_rev.jpg (http://www.imax.com/body.html?p=/experience/imax_3d.html&s=auto)
I think these are the electronic shutter IMAX 3D glasses from the size of them. No way will I stick that on my head.

toddalin
12-29-2009, 06:32 PM
These are pretty much what our IMAX uses, but in yellow plastic. The oversized glasses are a definate advantage to those of us who wear glasses.
http://www.alisonwheeler.org.uk/rsrc/pics/imax3d.jpg

Andyoz
12-30-2009, 06:04 AM
For those interested in such things... except for the stainless steel railings, light fixtures, and projection room window, every inch of every surface was covered in fabric... the walls and ceiling were all covered in acoustic fabric and quite amply padded.

That's a standard sort of treatment for cinemas. They are unique listening rooms as the room shouldn't add it's own acoustic signature. You can only get away with this because all the spatial audio cues are in the film soundtrack surround sound channels (soundtracks are mixed in very "dead" rooms as well).

Playing a basic 2-channel stereo mix in a cinema is a very "dry" experience and not very pleasant for long term listening :o:

Mr. Widget
12-30-2009, 08:26 AM
That's a standard sort of treatment for cinemas.I mentioned it because that has not been my experience. Most theaters that I visit have a degree of sound control... some of the modern ones even have wooden diffusers, but none have padded ceilings and few have all of the walls completely deadened. Many of my favorite theaters were built in the 30's and are built with art deco, Egyptian, or grand palatial themes, with little decorative balconies, sculpted columns, massive chandeliers, and other reflective items along with ample heavy drapes to balance the sound.

As for 2-channel, I agree, however I do prefer rooms that are on the more controlled side. My last room had heavy drapes on the front and side walls.

Widget

toddalin
12-30-2009, 11:00 AM
OK, for those who saw the film.

Who else noticed the blatent discontinuity in the Avatars (and what was it) that was prevelent throughout the movie? A hint, it is "digital." :bouncy:

Allanvh5150
12-30-2009, 12:07 PM
OK, for those who saw the film.

Who else noticed the blatent discontinuity in the Avatars (and what was it) that was prevelent throughout the movie? A hint, it is "digital." :bouncy:

Yup. This is what happens when your CG budget is $18.57. Dont use Weta Workshop for your special effects. All of thier work has the same look. It is probably not even on the same level as ILM's efforts on the T1000 in T2!

Allan.

toddalin
12-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Yup. This is what happens when your CG budget is $18.57. Dont use Weta Workshop for your special effects. All of thier work has the same look. It is probably not even on the same level as ILM's efforts on the T1000 in T2!

Allan.

No, not what I was referring to. Has nothing to do with the computer graphics per se. :no:

BTW, for those that haven't seen the movie, this "discontinuity" is evident in the trailers too if you know to look for it.

toddalin
12-31-2009, 11:20 AM
No, not what I was referring to. Has nothing to do with the computer graphics per se. :no:

BTW, for those that haven't seen the movie, this "discontinuity" is evident in the trailers too if you know to look for it.

OK, for the less astute, it shows in this trailer at 1:30 and 2:00 (though I've no idea why they did it at 1:30 when there wasn't the need):
http://www.avatarmovie.com/index.html

And on this trailer at 1:02 as well as lots of other places:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUeFzuK6LM&feature=player_embedded#at=63

As I noted, it is "digital." ;)

Allanvh5150
12-31-2009, 12:32 PM
OK, for the less astute, it shows in this trailer at 1:30 and 2:00 (though I've no idea why they did it at 1:30 when there wasn't the need):
http://www.avatarmovie.com/index.html

And on this trailer at 1:02 as well as lots of other places:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUeFzuK6LM&feature=player_embedded#at=63

As I noted, it is "digital." ;)

I take you are talking about the "gaps" in the animation, almost like they have left out multiple frames in the editing process.....?

Allan.

Robh3606
12-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Toddalin your a spoil sport. Every movie has whoops in it. My favorite is the guy in Sparticus wearing a wrist watch. Or the T2 windsheild on the truck. You can't start picking this type of movie apart. You have to go in on autopilot. Just enjoy the ride.

What's on now "I want to hold Your Hand" Remastered

Sounds OK to me.

toddalin
12-31-2009, 01:29 PM
I take you are talking about the "gaps" in the animation, almost like they have left out multiple frames in the editing process.....?

Allan.

Nope, but I think that Rob may have picked up on it. ;)

John
12-31-2009, 01:54 PM
You can't start picking this type of movie apart. You have to go in on autopilot. Just enjoy the ride

66% of members here live to pick things apart;)

JBL 4645
12-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Toddalin your a spoil sport. Every movie has whoops in it. My favorite is the guy in Sparticus wearing a wrist watch. Or the T2 windsheild on the truck. You can't start picking this type of movie apart. You have to go in on autopilot. Just enjoy the ride.

What's on now "I want to hold Your Hand" Remastered

Sounds OK to me.

I got Spartacus on DVD I haven’t noticed the wristwatch yet? Do you know what part in the film?

I thought this was rather funny. :p
http://flowstate.homestead.com/files/spartacus.gif

Robh3606
12-31-2009, 02:45 PM
I got Spartacus on DVD I haven’t noticed the wristwatch yet? Do you know what part in the film?

It's in one of the Extras shot's comming over a hill I think in one of the battles.

JBL 4645
12-31-2009, 02:49 PM
It's in one of the Extras shot's comming over a hill I think in one of the battles.

Okay in one of the battles I’ll keep an eye out for that.

I’d have to look foreground middle and background.

I guess they could use digital means to remove the (wristwatch) today where’s back then they could paint it with animation frame by frame.;)

I’m kinder curious as to what year this was first noticed?

toddalin
12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Okay in one of the battles I’ll keep an eye out for that.

I’d have to look foreground middle and background.

I guess they could use digital means to remove the (wristwatch) today where’s back then they could paint it with animation frame by frame.;)

I’m kinder curious as to what year this was first noticed?

They've mentioned this on the Universal Studio Tours every time I've been on it from way back when I was a kid.

The "discontinuity" in Avatar is nothing like what happened in Ben Hur, (and who knows with T2). This reoccurs throughout the movie and was obviously a conscious decision made at the upper levels before any shooting began knowing that some would catch it, but most wouldn't.

JBL 4645
12-31-2009, 03:45 PM
They've mentioned this on the Universal Studio Tours every time I've been on it from way back when I was a kid.

The "discontinuity" in Avatar is nothing like what happened in Ben Hur, (and who knows with T2). This reoccurs throughout the movie and was obviously a conscious decision made at the upper levels before any shooting began knowing that some would catch it, but most wouldn't.

I can view this over and over on the pc on the Panasonic and on the video projector and I still might not notice it. There is just so much happening in the battle scene moments.

The moment that stands out is “I’m Spartacus” as he turns around and realizing his men are willing to sacrifice themselves for him. :( Now that is one cool moment. “I’m Spartacus”! – “I’m Spartacus”! -“I am Spartacus”!:D

I guess the battle is no different than today expect they used real fire on those logs! Damn! Hope the stunt men wasn’t injured that looks risky! Today they’d use CGI fire in some parts to see if they can fool the audience.

The fire in some parts of Backdraft was bit phoney as it was in T2 and I am Legend and many more.

Fire is very tricky element as we’re aware of what it looks like in its natural form. Was fire used in Avatar?

Just like water it’s a tricky thing and they have designed special software and I have no doubt part of its now obsolete and replaced with updated software. Then again filming models in water is also tricky the scale model verses water needs to filmed at different speed or a very large model but still I’ve noticed it on “The Spy Who Loved Me” and “The Abyss” not so much with “Titanic” or “Poseidon”. Then again “The Poseidon Adventure” it sticks out on the opening with waves crashing against the ocean liner.

JBL 4645
01-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Brought the Avatar James Horner CD sounds good on the JBL in Dolby stereo
Price was £9.99 from HMV (Castle Point shopping centre). I think the prices have dropped by as much as £6.00 new movie soundtrack releases where often around £15 which average cost of DVD or a few odd Bluray but the odd common CD is only 2 channels.

kenratboy
01-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I love the first track...but I have a...sample copy...so not sure if the bass is clipped. How does it sound on CD? How are the rest of the tracks?

JBL 4645
01-06-2010, 02:02 PM
I love the first track...but I have a...sample copy...so not sure if the bass is clipped. How does it sound on CD? How are the rest of the tracks?

No notable audible distortion at any level if you get what I mean.

I noticed the depth is deep on track. I kinder like giving outer space deepness the track give. I really don’t know how the music is used to the images I can take a few guesses??

I’d have to find some time to send the sub bass extension to spectrumlab to see how far down the scale the lows play.

The sample copy might have been recorded too high, while some portions of the mix give that clipping (clicking snap crackle and pop) sound that I have noticed on few films Apollo 13 (1995) dts laserdisc for short 1 second same as on the DVD and no doubt it would be on the so called perfect bluray format so don’t be fooled for moment!

Same thing with Armageddon (1998) Dolby digital, has few now and the seconds of (clicking snap crackle and pop) and it really takes the piss! :banghead:

JBL 4645
01-12-2010, 07:22 AM
The sound design of Avatar
http://designingsound.noisepages.com/2009/12/the-sound-design-of-avatar/ (http://designingsound.noisepages.com/2009/12/the-sound-design-of-avatar/)

Avatar there are several pages so look below for next page
http://mixonline.com/post/features/avatar-0110/ (http://mixonline.com/post/features/avatar-0110/)

demon
02-21-2010, 02:24 PM
am i the only one seeing this?

:applaud:

hjames
02-21-2010, 02:28 PM
am i the only one seeing this?

:applaud:

Who's that on the left, pastorius?

demon
02-21-2010, 02:45 PM
yes, jaco pastorius. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaco_Pastorius)

i noticed that on the first picture or trailer ive seen of avatar, and find it quite funny. another rip off to add to the list :D

cheers,
mikey

Audiobeer
02-27-2010, 11:15 PM
It was the 1st 3D movie I have ever been to. Enjoyed it very much. The Story Line acting was ok.....but the 3D was great!

lansingfan
02-28-2010, 08:16 AM
yes, jaco pastorius. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaco_Pastorius)

i noticed that on the first picture or trailer ive seen of avatar, and find it quite funny. another rip off to add to the list :D

cheers,
mikey

didn't know who Jaco Pastorius was. Thanks for the mention of him. I now know a new and immensely talented musician. Sad, that he's no longer with us.

herki the cat
03-01-2010, 02:01 AM
It was the 1st 3D movie I have ever been to. Enjoyed it very much. The Story Line acting was ok.....but the 3D was great!

You know what, Audiobeer;280739 ... I expect 95% of LH Forum members "etait juste un reflet dans le oeil de quelque" (simply a glint in somebody's eye) during the early 1950's "Cinerama" Three-D, 70mm, 180 degree wide angle,"seamless screen," with complete vertical overhead, perspective aspect. Cinerama did not required any "3-D googles". Cinerama had three channel, pure analogue stereo sound. Back stage speakers were two-way RCA & Altec Horn systems, now comletely extinct. Analog movie sound then was awesome like: "you are there."

There was no animation stuff in the Cinerama movies, only real life people in real life situations you can relate to. I remember one scene in one film titled: "How The West Was Won," there was a train robbery where the good guys found themselves isolated on a run away flat rail car zipping down hill 90 miles an hour out of control, & the rail car finally lost hold of the rails & went careeng over the rail embankment...man the periferal vision perspective dynamics of weaving up and down & side-ways were so real you had to grab your seat hanging on for life, finaly, shaking your head when the car came to a stop in the dirt..

THX, Dolby Digital movie sound of today is an other "over-processed, contaminated world". However, in its own realm, It is remarkably good presented in the Skywalker Luas movie theater in La, Cal.

cheers, herki the cat

JBL 4645
03-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Best Cinematography
'Avatar'
Mauro Fiore

Best Visual effects
'Avatar'
Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham and Andrew R. Jones

Best Art Direction
'Avatar'
Art Direction: Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Kim Sinclair

herki the cat
05-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Over the years there are a few movies that took me to another place. Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Star Wars, and now Avatar. Yes, I felt that I had been transported to another world; the reason for this whole thing is they are after unobtanium I laughed....

Imagine what it would sound like with unobtanium speaker cables.:blink: jcrobso

herki's two cents:
My friend jcrobso, I invite you to laugh again! Avatar sound was recorded with unobtanium speaker cables from "MIT Interface Technologies Inc."

The SkyWalker Lucas post production sound venue is 100% equipped with MIT cables which cost $20,000 each. The SkyWalker Lucas theater at SkyWalker Ranch in Calafornia is also equipped with a Qty' of (40) power amplifiers back stage feeding a Qty' of (40) JBL Speaker Drivers via 40 foot long MIT cables of the same unobtanium type.

Not to worry__ the Skywalker Lucas instalation is a "cost no object,"professional business venture. In the following "MIT at the Movies" presentation : "Link," you can view the awsome engineering history of Avatar's making.....Highly recommended.

Sky Walker has more than 10 Acadamy Award Winning Films with "MIT-Interface" If you enjoyed the Magnificient Skywalker Sound, you must see how they did it in:
MITat theMOVIES @http://www.mitcables.co.nz/pdf/mit_movies.pdf (http://www.mitcables.co.nz/pdf/mit_movies.pdf)

Allanvh5150
05-21-2010, 03:19 AM
What was it called again?

JBL 4645
05-21-2010, 03:40 AM
What was it called again?

Its called "Avatar" and by the way you need an "Avatar"! :p

Allanvh5150
05-21-2010, 03:49 AM
Was it a movie? I think I missed it as it was only on the radar fro about two weeks.
And.....I probably dont. :)

Allan.

jcrobso
05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
herki's two cents:
My friend jcrobso, I invite you to laugh again! Avatar sound was recorded with unobtanium speaker cables from "MIT Interface Technologies Inc."

The SkyWalker Lucas post production sound venue is 100% equipped with MIT cables which cost $20,000 each. The SkyWalker Lucas theater at SkyWalker Ranch in Calafornia is also equipped with a Qty' of (40) power amplifiers back stage feeding a Qty' of (40) JBL Speaker Drivers via 40 foot long MIT cables of the same unobtanium type.

Not to worry__ the Skywalker Lucas instalation is a "cost no object,"professional business venture. In the following "MIT at the Movies" presentation : "Link," you can view the awsome engineering history of Avatar's making.....Highly recommended.

Sky Walker has more than 10 Acadamy Award Winning Films with "MIT-Interface" If you enjoyed the Magnificient Skywalker Sound, you must see how they did it in:
MITat theMOVIES @http://www.mitcables.co.nz/pdf/mit_movies.pdf (http://www.mitcables.co.nz/pdf/mit_movies.pdf)
But way beyond the means of ordinary people.:crying:

hjames
05-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Was it a movie? I think I missed it as it was only on the radar fro about two weeks.
And.....I probably dont. :)

Allan.

Avatar played around here for a good 5 months - you must be a small market
(kidding, my friend, just kidding!)

JBL 4645
05-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Well I have no clue on what cinema chains are down under and this, what I found so far.
http://www.google.co.uk/movies?hl=en&near=christchurch+new+zealand&dq=cinemas+christchurch+new+zealand&ei=4fn2S-32Do2M0gT3wd3pBw&sa=X&oi=showtimes&ct=title&cd=1&ved=0CBMQxQMoAA

I think AL needs to start a thread of his favourite JBL cinema down under, if it has JBL installation?

Allanvh5150
05-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi Heather, I was really just pointing out the fact that movies these days get hyped to the max and blown completely out of proportion. In 12 months no one will even remeber Avatar or indeed any other movie that has come out in the last 12 months. The movie studio's need to get back to making movies that actually mean something. Remember that little movie from the 70's called Star Wars? Now that is a movie that made an impact. Avatar, along with most of Peter Jacksons movies acyually sucked and blew at the same time. Todays movie makers all bar a couple, have totally lost their direction.

Allan.

Allanvh5150
05-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Regarding our theatres down here Ash, Star Wars was shown on the old Cinerama screen way back in the day. That theatre had a huge screen and a great sound system. Unfortunately it was removed many years ago. Most theatres today are just a square box with a screen and some seats. No real theatre experience to be had anymore.

Allan.

hjames
05-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Hi Heather, I was really just pointing out the fact that movies these days get hyped to the max and blown completely out of proportion. In 12 months no one will even remeber Avatar or indeed any other movie that has come out in the last 12 months. The movie studio's need to get back to making movies that actually mean something. Remember that little movie from the 70's called Star Wars? Now that is a movie that made an impact. Avatar, along with most of Peter Jacksons movies acyually sucked and blew at the same time. Todays movie makers all bar a couple, have totally lost their direction.

Allan.

Agreed - Emma and I saw Avatar in a second-stream theatre just before the DVDs came out for. I think we paid $4.50 a ticket. I agree, its SUCH a hype stream - I used to work in theatres in high school and loved the big films on 70 MM screens - but most of those palaces are gone - and I'm not pay $15 a pop to see a movie in a mall theatre with funky audio. There are so few films I want to really "experience" - you're right, mostly its the hype machine run amoke!

JBL 4645
05-22-2010, 02:09 AM

Allan.

I strongly agree it was on my subconscious mind from the start.
“Avatar” is slowly warring off on me and its only been about 5 weeks since I had bluray/DVD combo.

I hardly watch “The Lord of the Rings” anymore including King Too Long Kong!
I’d sooner watch the original or the remake. The son of the remake, the soundtrack was just low end predictable, but it times it was exciting with sound effect pans moving from fronts to sidewall surrounds and around.

At least Peter Jackson has laid of the, sugar coated doughnuts!:D
Well done on losing weight! :applaud:

http://img.timeinc.net/people/i/2006/features/magstories/060109/pjackson.jpg

JBL 4645
05-22-2010, 02:54 AM
Regarding our theatres down here Ash, Star Wars was shown on the old Cinerama screen way back in the day. That theatre had a huge screen and a great sound system. Unfortunately it was removed many years ago. Most theatres today are just a square box with a screen and some seats. No real theatre experience to be had anymore.

Allan.

:)Wow what better place to see it on an old Cinerama deep curved screen even if the whole size of the screen isn’t used up as Cinerama was a (three stripe film) projection process that filled the entire screen. Regular 35mm will only fill a portion of its size still it looks impressive.

Square cinemas just like our living rooms WTF! No chactutre on style just something fast and simplistic is what they want today, same goes with the film there in the largest screen for 2 weeks at best and then shoved into the smaller screen. Okay I guess “Avatar” might have been booked in a large screen for 6 to 7 weeks.

I was going to say a few other things but, decided not to bother. This whole thing of digital cinema is just depressing me. It won’t be long before projectionists are no longer needed “wave to the future” fuck the future! It’s the lost art in cinema projection. Digital projection is lazy ass means today.:banghead:

Projectionists are slowly turning into drones programmed by the company to act and perform like robots pushing buttons. In the old days it was a hands on thing it seemed real, today it seems synthetic.

05-22-2010, 11:32 AM

Allan.

Disagree completely. Star Wars? Give me a break.

I'm not one to buy in the hype (I usually wait a few months before watching it or buying it on Blu-ray), but Avatar completely blew me away. I expected a technological crap-fest but left feeling much more. So what it doesn't have a necessarily strong plot? I left feeling great. Isn't that the whole point of movies?

...and for sure, movies like The Dark Knight still have their impact today. (FYI, it was released over a year ago...)

JBL 4645
05-22-2010, 12:50 PM
^^^Well maybe you didn’t drop enough acid to get into "Avatar".:p

Allanvh5150
05-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Disagree completely. Star Wars? Give me a break.

I'm not one to buy in the hype (I usually wait a few months before watching it or buying it on Blu-ray), but Avatar completely blew me away. I expected a technological crap-fest but left feeling much more. So what it doesn't have a necessarily strong plot? I left feeling great. Isn't that the whole point of movies?

...and for sure, movies like The Dark Knight still have their impact today. (FYI, it was released over a year ago...)

You dont get my point. They spent millions of dollars promotong Avatar and pre convincing people that thye would like it. There was nothing in Avatar that had any wow factor. The storyline was lame and the cinematography was lame beyond belief. In another 12 months the whole world will have forgotten about it. 35 years after the fact, people are still talking about the original Star Wars and the murchandising from the movie is still selling hand over fist. Star wars was made very cheaply, special effects at the time were very limited but it had all the ingrediants of a great movie. The Star Wars franchise has made somewhere around 5 billion dollars over the years, not bad considering that the ticket price ffor Star Wars here was 75c! The only good movie PJ has made was The Frighteners. It is a laugh to compare Weta Workshops to ILM, most people could do better with a super 8 movie camera and a roll of sellotape!

Allan.

Allanvh5150
05-22-2010, 02:57 PM
:)Wow what better place to see it on an old Cinerama deep curved screen even if the whole size of the screen isn’t used up as Cinerama was a (three stripe film) projection process that filled the entire screen. Regular 35mm will only fill a portion of its size still it looks impressive.

Square cinemas just like our living rooms WTF! No chactutre on style just something fast and simplistic is what they want today, same goes with the film there in the largest screen for 2 weeks at best and then shoved into the smaller screen. Okay I guess “Avatar” might have been booked in a large screen for 6 to 7 weeks.

I was going to say a few other things but, decided not to bother. This whole thing of digital cinema is just depressing me. It won’t be long before projectionists are no longer needed “wave to the future” fuck the future! It’s the lost art in cinema projection. Digital projection is lazy ass means today.:banghead:

Projectionists are slowly turning into drones programmed by the company to act and perform like robots pushing buttons. In the old days it was a hands on thing it seemed real, today it seems synthetic.

Hi Ash, I actually saw Star Wars on the Cinerama screen that was a 70mm print. Dont know where it came from but it filled the entire screen,

Allan.

p.s. Just found out that it was printed on 70mm 6 channel!

JBL 4645
05-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Did you?

I’m naturally (spaced out) with, what is called (an imagination). I don’t need no artifice drug enhancement, other than what the doctor subscribes to me.:p

“Avatar” has been the biggest flop in this home cinema. Okay I might have had "Avatar" DVD region 2, fever over a week ago, but that soon wore off. The bluray has hardly been played it would if it was DolbyTrue and not dtsHDMA. Fox dons’t stop to think what the paying consumer wants?

JBL 4645
05-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Ash, I actually saw Star Wars on the Cinerama screen that was a 70mm print. Dont know where it came from but it filled the entire screen,

Allan.

p.s. Just found out that it was printed on 70mm 6 channel!

Maybe they had special lens to fill the screen up! There is special well not really just lens that gives 35mm prints a 70mm feel to them on Bournemouth ABC screen 1 screen which is a 70mm screen only hardly ever used now for 70mm rare print screenings now, what waste of the inner-left and inner-right stage channels.

It wouldn't be so bad if cinemas that have duel projector run 70mm each weekend because I'll go if within reasonable travelling distance.

You can tell if its 70mm because the queue marks on the print every so 15 or 20 minutes will have (O) circle then count 10 seconds before the next reel change over or it might be all spliced together into one uninterrupted program.

(0) oval shaped queue for marks (scope films) appear horizontal on the screen always upper right-hand corner.

(O) again circular queue marks for W/S films will appear in upper right corner of the frame.

JBL 4645
05-22-2010, 03:43 PM
You dont get my point. They spent millions of dollars promotong Avatar and pre convincing people that thye would like it. There was nothing in Avatar that had any wow factor. The storyline was lame and the cinematography was lame beyond belief. In another 12 months the whole world will have forgotten about it. 35 years after the fact, people are still talking about the original Star Wars and the murchandising from the movie is still selling hand over fist. Star wars was made very cheaply, special effects at the time were very limited but it had all the ingrediants of a great movie. The Star Wars franchise has made somewhere around 5 billion dollars over the years, not bad considering that the ticket price ffor Star Wars here was 75c! The only good movie PJ has made was The Frighteners. It is a laugh to compare Weta Workshops to ILM, most people could do better with a super 8 movie camera and a roll of sellotape!

Allan.

Precisely! :applaud:

I still have my little rant on the well almost original and I think you know what I’m, talking about. Not just Han shot first but the whole soundtrack I want to hear the 70mm Dolby version on DVD in discrete form the 35mm is plagued with crosstalk (as with all 35mm optical Dolby analogue prints) enough said!

I want to hear and feel the original because some lucky buggers heard and felt that mix during its theatrical and re-release issue prints though the late 70’s to early 80’s and again after Jedi came out.

But Lucas has tinkered with Star Wars Dolby film mix (while waving his hand at the mixers)
“You will mix it the way I want it now”.
“We well mix it the way you want it, master”.

So the chances are that the original 70mm road show Dolby film mix is intact is a long hope. I bet when its released on bluray it will end up with 7th re-mix I promise you!

1# Mono
2# 35mm optical twin-track Dolby stereo 4.2.4 matrix
3# 70mm six-track Dolby stereo discrete with “baby boom” subwoofer track
4# THX laserdisc Dolby stereo 4.2.4 matrix
5# Special edition 35mm (re-mix) Dolby stereo SR-D/dts SDDS
6# special edition DVD (re-mix) Dolby digital surround-EX

7th re-mix coming soon to bluray! http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:t6uo395IgDRACM:http://www.icanhasforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/star-wars-jar-jar-fail.jpg

I don’t think I want to hear or feel a 7th re-mix! I want to hear, listen to the original monaural discrete surrounds fading in and out at certain times in the mix not have constant all around faked stereo surrounds. The film was never intended to have stereo surrounds. Stereo surrounds on 70mm didn’t come around till Superman the movie (1978).

Only a few 70mm films ever had stereo surrounds the rest was just the odd rare five-screen with single surround and three-screen with “baby boom” or “boom channel” with mono surround.

Today there are few DVD to bluray titles getting fake stereo cheap surrounds that come-off from the discrete left and right fronts and have been folded onto the mono surround where it not only because annoyingly constant at all-times but masks the original mono surround track, yes, be aware of what you buy now!

I know what to listen for now! There little game secret I have exposed the truth!

This reply from bullshiting Paramount Pictures in regards to "Star Trek the motion picture" so called original (1979) with its fake stereo surrounds yes that is one title to look out for on DVD/Bluray. I get this bullshit answer after weeks of waiting! No its not satisfactory!

Thank you for your email below.

I am sorry to hear that the DVD and Blu-ray versions of Star Trek Original Motion Picture did not meet your expectations. We have however investigated the matter, and believe that the product, taking into account the age of the film, does meet the required market standards.

Yours sincerely,

James Damon | Vice President
International Legal and Business Affairs

It must sound even worse in Dolby 7.1 WTF! the film was only produced with six-tracks on the few rare 70mm prints that was produced. The rest was 35mm Dolby stereo type "A".

The fake bullshit that ((surrounds)) me, now I need wings to fly above it!:banghead:

05-22-2010, 04:52 PM
You dont get my point. They spent millions of dollars promotong Avatar and pre convincing people that thye would like it.

Excuse me? So you think I'm easily shaped by advertising and production costs? Did I not mention that I specifically waited a few months just to overlook and forget about the hype and advertising? I came to my own conclusion and I personally liked it, as well as everyone else I've spoken to.

There was nothing in Avatar that had any wow factor. The storyline was lame and the cinematography was lame beyond belief. In another 12 months the whole world will have forgotten about it.

You're kidding me? No wow factor? Now you're just in denial.

35 years after the fact, people are still talking about the original Star Wars and the murchandising from the movie is still selling hand over fist. Star wars was made very cheaply, special effects at the time were very limited but it had all the ingrediants of a great movie.

Sorry, but the only people that are still discussing Star Wars are a select few who have built up communities around the franchise. In terms of actually being in the spotlight, that time has long passed.

The Star Wars franchise has made somewhere around 5 billion dollars over the years, not bad considering that the ticket price ffor Star Wars here was 75c! The only good movie PJ has made was The Frighteners. It is a laugh to compare Weta Workshops to ILM, most people could do better with a super 8 movie camera and a roll of sellotape!

You're comparing one film to a series of films! How the hell is that fair? Just wait until they release a few sequels. Then it'll be a fair comparison.

JBL 4645
05-22-2010, 05:20 PM
You're comparing one film to a series of films! How the hell is that fair? Just wait until they release a few sequels. Then it'll be a fair comparison.

And what is the sequel to Avatar going to be called?

This time it’s more war! :p

Have you every noticed

Aliens
The Abyss
Aliens of the Abyss

Wow can the director please come up with ‘er better title?

JBL 4645
05-22-2010, 07:26 PM
SO why would you ask if others did?
Its frankly rude of you to ask if others might have "dropped acid" to enjoy the film -
How would you know about such things if you have no first-hand knowledge?
Really, does anyone even DO "acid" anymore?:crying:

Go and look around youtube or some of the live video sites and you’ll have people there bragging live, I wonder if the FBI is watching?

For those that drop acid on "2001" during “the stargate sequence” at the time it might be mind bending, but was such a simple effect and still holds up if seen on Cinerama screen.

I don’t think I’m being rude when some have the gore to say on public live video chat room sites "I do drugs I smoke grass". That is something you just don’t talk about to strangers.

Anyway I don't smoke or touch drugs its unhealthy.

Allanvh5150
05-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Excuse me? So you think I'm easily shaped by advertising and production costs? Did I not mention that I specifically waited a few months just to overlook and forget about the hype and advertising? I came to my own conclusion and I personally liked it, as well as everyone else I've spoken to.

You're kidding me? No wow factor? Now you're just in denial.

Sorry, but the only people that are still discussing Star Wars are a select few who have built up communities around the franchise. In terms of actually being in the spotlight, that time has long passed.

No, No and No. You are still not getting it. The movie that I mentioned was "Star Wars" Not any of its sequels. As far as only a few groups talking about Star Wars, there is a whole star wars universe out there. You can still walk into a shop and buy a Darth Vader key ring. Cant think for the life of me why that is.....There is and never has been "hype" around the Star Wars movies. People go to see them because of the impact of the first movie. I am not sure how many people camped out to get Avatar tickets....There have only been two movie Franchises that have surpassed Star Wars: James Bond only for its longevity and Harry Potter simply because of the fact that ticket prices are more than 10 times what they were in the 70's. I care little for your opinion about what movie is better, the "bums on seats" quotient will win every time.

Allan.

richluvsound
05-22-2010, 11:58 PM
The biggest waste of 15 quid ever. Besides colour, the film had SWFA to offer . I was hoping to feel inspired in to painting again, only to find that Roger Dean's work was something I new about and admired 33 years ago. The title should have been " Tales of Topographical Oceans "

Complete hype about complete shite. The mrs made a better film fella ,face it " the Hurt locker " . Whats even more ironic is the size of the carbon footprint made to make a film about being green.
How much did that film cost to make ? 150 million or something like that .... How many people could that kind of cash helped out ... Shit , could of got Ash a new flat screen and fed the third world .. bailed out Greece even ....

I couldn't watch it all the way through - I walked out ... thank f--k the popcorn was worth it !

Allanvh5150
05-23-2010, 12:13 AM
The biggest waste of 15 quid ever. Besides colour, the film had SWFA to offer . I was hoping to feel inspired in to painting again, only to find that Roger Dean's work was something I new about and admired 33 years ago. The title should have been " Tales of Topographical Oceans "

Complete hype about complete shite. The mrs made a better film fella ,face it " the Hurt locker " . Whats even more ironic is the size of the carbon footprint made to make a film about being green.
How much did that film cost to make ? 150 million or something like that .... How many people could that kind of cash helped out ... Shit , could of got Ash a new flat screen and fed the third world .. bailed out Greece even ....

I couldn't watch it all the way through - I walked out ... thank f--k the popcorn was worth it !

Ummmm........It actually cost closer to 300 million. That makes it all the better, right?:)

JBL 4645
05-23-2010, 03:23 AM
Well Rich, seems mighty disgruntled :banghead: about Avatar.:p I think its only real appeal was the young kiddies. But wasn’t we young kiddies once? Maybe not as disgruntled as we our today with life's general issues in society.

I was disappointed with the credits running time that seemed so short when compared to “Alien VS Predator” that run for almost 15 minutes. “Avatar” was in around 6 minutes. I can’t be asked to run the DVD to check its rough guess.

One thing is clear "Avatar" isn't "Star Wars" and I saw "Star Wars" in or around less than 10 times at the cinema between (1977 and 1980) as it was re-released as double bill alongside "The Empire Strikes Back" (after it did so well, later in the year).

hjames
05-23-2010, 05:44 AM
Yeah, but the hype worked, dinnit.
You bought that disc at release time, in bluray nonetheless ... HAD to have it right away, didn't you.

For us, I think we dropped $9 or so for 2 tickets and once I saw it I knew I wasn't wasn't to buy it on disc -
it wasn't gonna join Lawrence and Excaliber and the classics I have in my disc collection.
It just wasn't anything I'd watch over and over again ...

Well Rich, seems mighty disgruntled :banghead: about Avatar.:p I think its only real appeal was the young kiddies. But wasn’t we young kiddies once? Maybe not as disgruntled as we our today with life's general issues in society.

JBL 4645
05-23-2010, 06:39 AM
Yeah, but the hype worked, dinnit.
You bought that disc at release time, in bluray nonetheless ... HAD to have it right away, didn't you.

For us, I think we dropped $9 or so for 2 tickets and once I saw it I knew I wasn't wasn't to buy it on disc -
it wasn't gonna join Lawrence and Excaliber and the classics I have in my disc collection.
It just wasn't anything I'd watch over and over again ...

What you don’t think I have “Lawrence of Arabia” on SE DVD. Saw it in wondrous 70mm Dolby SR at the Odeon Marble Arch, London early (1989) wow…:bouncy:

“Avatar” I was just curious and slightly disappointed so Avatar 2 (I’m shaking my head and saying "no" out loud).

Sooty doesn’t rate Avatar with 5 paws no more. Your leader, the Sooty has spoken.:p

05-23-2010, 08:31 AM
I care little for your opinion about what movie is better, the "bums on seats" quotient will win every time.

Why even bother. You simply dismiss my posts instead of directly responding to them.

At this point, it's like having a discussion with a rock. Only this time, a rock could provide better facts to back his/her claims.

I'm done. Avatar had positive aspects. That's all I'm trying to get across. If you can't see that, whatever.

JBL 4645
05-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Why even bother. You simply dismiss my posts instead of directly responding to them.

At this point, it's like having a discussion with a rock. Only this time, a rock could provide better facts to back his/her claims.

I'm done. Avatar had positive aspects. That's all I'm trying to get across. If you can't see that, whatever.
:rotfl:

Talking to a rock LOL
Kinder like talking to “the wall” LOL “Shirley Valentine”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqUI_rL2XSo

Jon, I think you pissed him off :p

I think, Al is going to come after you with ligtsaber!

Hey calm down guys in the mutual words of Alfred Hitchcock “its only a movie”

Allanvh5150
05-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Quite unbelievable. You can google star wars and gett all the info you wish. I dont need to give you links to the info for the simple fact that is common knowledge. The only positve aspect of Avatar was................there wasnt one. It contained nothing that makes a movie great and as such it will never attain greatness.

p.s. I would rather be a rock than live under one.

Allan.:blink:

05-23-2010, 12:28 PM
The only positve aspect of Avatar was................there wasnt one. It contained nothing that makes a movie great and as such it will never attain greatness.

LOL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Avatar). Alright, buddy. :D

JBL 4645
05-31-2010, 12:49 AM
I saw this on the In-70mm site and I’m sure it’s a piss take out of Avatar in 70mm.:p

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/remember/images/avatar_70mm.jpg

Full link remember real 70mm!
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/remember/index.htm

JBL 4645
06-11-2010, 08:04 PM
This version of Avatar is even better than the film itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlg6FwnxoM8