PDA

View Full Version : Repairing (not reconing) an early D130

Sam Cogley
12-13-2009, 10:53 AM
I picked this up Friday night, sold as needing a recone. A small child had poked the cone, which led to two light but noticeable creases and the accordion edge being torn halfway around. I figured I had nothing to lose by taking a stab at a repair - worst case scenario, I still need to buy a recone kit. Best case scenario, I get a D130 for a very low price.

Some grey tissue paper was purchased from Target to serve as patch material. Ailene's tacky glue (my handy bottle for speaker re-surround jobs) was used to bind the tissue paper to the cone. I chose to apply a layer of tissue paper all the way around on the front of the cone for cosmetic purposes and to keep the thickness of the material close to the same all the way around and hopefully avoid any issues related to differing cone density. Tissue paper was applied to the back only where there was damage. Two short tears leading down towards the voice coil from the rip in the accordion didn't show through to the front, so they were only patched in back. The light creases (V-shaped longer repairs) also received a layer of reinforcement to keep them from causing problems both sonically and structurally.

The results are quite good! I played several Beatles songs on my iPod through a Magnavox 8802 as a test, and everything seems to be in good order. I'm amazed at the high-quality sound coming from such a large full-range speaker with no whizzer cone or other form of high-range reinforcement. It's not the prettiest thing going, but it works well and I can always buy an aftermarket (or factory E130) recone kit later.

On a side note, does anyone know the meaning of the markings on the cone next to the terminals? They're only visible under indirect light or a camera flash. There was a white stamping next to them that said 130-102 (or 120, I can't remember for sure), but it's now under the patch material.

BMWCCA
12-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Your "before" pictures (one below) on AK were hard to see but I was wondering if that wasn't a re-cone already. Though there were different cone types used over the looong D130 history.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=184239&d=1260647209

Sam Cogley
12-13-2009, 03:07 PM
It's possible, but the un-doped edge looked very much like the other early D130 examples I've seen photos of. Most recones that I've seen have the doped edges with sharper accordion creasing.

Check out this auction listing - it has the same rounded surround edges without doping and looks (at least to me) to be unmolested: http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Signature-Jim-B-Lansing-D130-16-ohms-Speaker-D-130_W0QQitemZ250547167073QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintag e_Electronics_R2?hash=item3a55c65f61 The guy I bought it from has (I think) four more that came out of some very old enclosures.

That auction is for a sub-20k serial number, mine is 38820. Considering how popular the D130 was (and still is), I would assume that it's from fairly early in the product life cycle.

Recone or not, it sounds great. I'm starting to think that I could fix bad weather. :D

Also, it looks better in person - the seams between the pieces of tissue paper are much more visible under a camera flash. I tried making a single ring of tissue paper to go all the way around, but it didn't like being bent over two humps, set at an angle, and glued into place.

BMWCCA
12-13-2009, 03:23 PM
As I said, hard to tell from the pics and now we'll never be able to see it, but it looked like the edge had some treatment on it. Too hard to see to tell. While mine look like this below and you can slightly see how the edge was formed, though there's little-if-any texture or color change visible. :dont-know

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=42412&d=1255806227

Sam Cogley
12-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I couldn't get good light on it when I took that picture, which messed up the focus a bit. Add in the fact that my camera isn't exactly the greatest thing on Earth, and you get a funky pic. The texture and color was the same from the dust cap to the gasket. I'll try to get a pic of the un-covered portions of the accordion on the back.

Sam Cogley
12-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Here are a couple more pics showing the uncovered back portions of the edge.

BMWCCA
12-13-2009, 04:20 PM
I couldn't get good light on it when I took that picture, which messed up the focus a bit. Yeah, probably just a shadow line.

Sam Cogley
12-13-2009, 06:03 PM
The markings also were a spot-on match for original cones. I'm pretty sure it was the factory part, or an early factory recone.