PDA

View Full Version : jbl 4411

RaggedEdge
12-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi there, I have a pair of jbl 4411 monitors that I need to refoam. I was going to buy a cheapo kit but as I did some actual searching, the process seems to have gotten harder. First i was wondering if the the whole remove dust cap to shim was worth it but it seems that since these are very nice speakers i have, i should do it right. Next thing that brought me here was a post i saw that confirmed the slightly odd, slightly bigger dimensions of these woofers that i was measuring and originally going to dismiss. I see numerous posts refering to this "Rick Cobb" and his repair kits. Haven't found a link though. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks

BMWCCA
12-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Rick Cobb: http://myworld.ebay.com/looneytune2001/

or: [email protected]

RaggedEdge
12-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Thanks very much. Just sent out an email. Its been a couple of years since i have been able to appreciate these monitors. Will be so happy to use them again!

BMWCCA
12-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks very much. Just sent out an email. Its been a couple of years since i have been able to appreciate these monitors. Will be so happy to use them again!Those are great speakers, with historic value, too. If this is your first re-foam, take your time and be careful.
And feel free to ask for help here if you need it. Rick's instructions are clear but I've developed my own methods the more I've done, and many here have done it hundreds of times more than I have. I didn't feel to bad about practicing first on my $50 L80Ts first and free Infinitys! Now I have six 12" surrounds, like yours, waiting for me. :banghead:

RaggedEdge
12-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks Very much again and i sure will. Actually there are two slight other problems i have with these speakers. On one, a grill peg sheared off and my first attempt with glue did not work. Second, the mid range speaker on one has a slight double dent. I think i might be able to drill out a hole in the peg, and grille to mechanically fasten them together. I saw a post on here about using a TP roll to suck the dent out. If you have better tried and true methods though, Id rather hear those first!
Thanks!:applaud:

BMWCCA
12-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Pegs are available from LH member RJTimmerman:

I got a set a year-or-so ago from LH-member Rudy Timmerman. He goes by RJTimmerman (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=220) here and you can PM him through this site or email him at this address: [email protected]

He makes them in both black and white. They're not cheap but they're not cheap to make or cheaply made, either. Here's a recent listing for his pegs on Epay: http://ebayitem.com/250506499170

It can't hurt to try and suck the dome out but I believe they're kind of plastic, if not metal, on your mids. Either way, use a vacuum with the hose stepped down to something either the size of the dome or smaller, depending on the area you're trying to suck out. You can use a vacuum accessory, or a tube or straw and duct tape, whatever works for you. If it's plastic or metal you can try hot-gluing a wooden peg to the dust dome, then pulling out carefully and slicing off the glue. If it's cardboard/paper lightly wetting the area with a mister and letting it sit to soften works well with the vacuum method. For metal (and maybe plastic) adhesive or even some very sticky tape might work, too. Good luck. :)

RaggedEdge
12-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Well i just finished up with the surrounds. All in all, an easy repair. I took my time and broke it down into several stages. The most tedious being removal of the rotted gunk on the cones that used to be the surrounds. I changed one detail up with the instructions and thats after I dry fit the surrounds, I removed them, then applied the glue to them. This made for a quicker and cleaner application for me. The one thing that I am unhappy with is the glue set up quickly and the surround on the first cone is a smidge past the lip on a 2 inch section, giving it a slight pull/ depression. This did not interfere with alignment and you can hardly tell. Its more like I know its there.:o:
Will report back after I can give them a listen later tonight!

Oh and no luck with the plastic dust cap on the mid. In fact I made it worse.:banghead: oh well at least they'll be working again!

RaggedEdge
12-26-2009, 04:21 AM
:applaud: they are working/ sounding good! Thanks for the help and info!