PDA

View Full Version : Glue vs Adhesive?

ranchak
12-12-2009, 11:40 AM
What do you guys prefer or feels works best? Carpenter glue, rawhide glude or Polyurethane construction adhesive (PLŪ Premium Polyurethane Construction Adhesive)?

Carpenter glue for panel joints, construction adhesive for batons?

Mr. Widget
12-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I use Titebond Wood Glue for all interior wood to wood gluing... I've used their Titebond II and Titebond III with excellent results in exterior applications

Widget

SMKSoundPro
12-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I use Titebond Wood Glue for all interior wood to wood gluing... I've used their Titebond II and Titebond III with excellent results in exterior applications Widget
Ditto!

Cosmo
12-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Polyurethane is some strong adhesive not needed on cabinets Titebond is good enough just use liberally on the joints both sides once cured you will pull the wood apart before the joint.

grumpy
12-14-2009, 01:36 PM
I've used construction adhesive with screws to bond plywood to MDF
panels. >130dB/1m outdoors, in the 40-1KHz range and no rattles yet :)

Likely overkill, and quite a few tubes of adhesive were used, but I didn't
want the thing to come back from the end user.

badman
12-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Polyurethane is some strong adhesive not needed on cabinets Titebond is good enough just use liberally on the joints both sides once cured you will pull the wood apart before the joint.

Woodworker or Modern Woodworking or some such magazine did a strength test. Titebond was stronger than the urethane glues. Both were more than sufficient for cab building strength.

les winter
12-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Just a small note: yellow glue sets fast. White glue is just as good strength wise, and sets slower. On the other hand, it doesn't sand off as easily as yellow glue. Liquid hide glue, if fresh, offers the longest set time, is thick as honey, stronger than you need, and can be reversed [unstuck] with some hot water. Also, a liberal application and a few seconds of moving the parts against each other will result in a "rub joint". Very helpfull for battens.

Cosmo
12-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Woodworker or Modern Woodworking or some such magazine did a strength test. Titebond was stronger than the urethane glues. Both were more than sufficient for cab building strength.

I didn't know that I knew I was using the right glue then, Thanks for the info :D