PDA

View Full Version : L212 sub-woofer wiring?

Jack
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi all, I'm brand new to this form and need some help with connecting my 1978 powered sub-woofer. I'm trying to incorporate this wonderful, but old, speaker system into my 7.1 home entertainment system. My Onkyo receiver has a RCA style jack for the sub-woofer out, but the input on the speaker is made to receive audio information from two stereo channels. Is it necessary to run jumpers on the speaker inputs to get all the signal input? Thanks in advance.

Jack

rdgrimes
12-11-2009, 02:19 PM
More information please. Are you using the whole 3-piece L212 system? It's designed for the 2 satellite speakers to run off the Ulltrabass, or for all 3 to run in parallel. The Ultrabass should be connected to BOTH the L and R speaker lines in parallel to your main L and R speakers. It will not function as a line-level sub. Although it has been modified to do this in the past.

Consult the L212 owner's manual for more details on connections.

It's really designed to function as part of the whole 3- piece system. If you only have the Ultrabass unit and it's in good condition, consider selling it to someone who only has the 2 satellite units, it's prolly worth some good coin.

Jack
12-11-2009, 03:17 PM
rdgrimes,

Thanks for your response and yes I will be using all three speakers along with several more to complete my 7.1 surround system. I still have all paper work that came with the speakers, including the different wiring methods that could be employed when setting up the three speaker system.
My thought was to use the sub-woofer, being feed from the sub-woofer jack, now supplied with new systems. My new receiver states that all sub-woofer information is sent through the one dedicated jack. I was hoping to simplify the instillation, a wee bit, by using just one pair of wires from the dedicated out jack on my receiver.
Is it your opinion that I would loose some quality of sound were I to take the easy route? Thanks again,

Jack

rdgrimes
12-11-2009, 04:38 PM
The Ultrabass is designed only for speaker-level input, so it's not possible to employ the bass management features of your AVR. Assuming you have no other subwoofer, set the AVR to output the LFE channel to the front speakers.

Although, since the Ultrabass isn't really designed for LFE duty, you might also consider using an additional subwoofer for LFE duty and let the Ultrabass just handle the bass from the L-R channels.

hjames
12-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi all, I'm brand new to this form and need some help with connecting my 1978 powered sub-woofer. I'm trying to incorporate this wonderful, but old, speaker system into my 7.1 home entertainment system. My Onkyo receiver has a RCA style jack for the sub-woofer out, but the input on the speaker is made to receive audio information from two stereo channels. Is it necessary to run jumpers on the speaker inputs to get all the signal input? Thanks in advance.

Jack
that small bass module really predates all the home theatre style subs - you might do better with a dedicated powered sub in your system than to try and put full sub duties on the small L212 bass module ...

Robh3606
12-11-2009, 10:13 PM
That bass module is dated but you would be hard pressed to find a modern HT sub that will sound as good with music. You could use the L/R modules as satelites set the bass management up for Small mains and then use a more modern HT sub for movies and music. You also could just get an HT sub for the LFE and set the mains for large and use the Ultrabass as designed. You could also set the bass managment to run with no sub as well but you have to watch your levels. Just be aware that the Ultrabass Module was only designed for Music not action movies.

Rob:)