PDA

View Full Version : Carver Used JBL!

toddalin
12-10-2009, 01:17 PM
I was contacting Sunfire for some service work and there is an interesting picture of Bob Carver on the site. Note the equipment he is using:
http://www.sunfire.com/about.asp

Eaulive
12-10-2009, 01:26 PM
I was contacting Sunfire for some service work and there is an interesting picture of Bob Carver on the site. Note the equipment he is using:
http://www.sunfire.com/about.asp

I would be embarrassed to tell anything apart from this picture :blink:

SEAWOLF97
12-10-2009, 01:28 PM
L-77 ?

went out on a CL ad....the guy also had some Carver speakers that had needed work....he contacted Bob -up in Wa.- and went up there and the 2 of them spent the day fixing the pair....Bob wrote an inscription and signed each unit in silver marker ...CL guy was a happy camper :D

jcrobso
12-10-2009, 03:15 PM
I was at a Hi-Fi store that used to hang out at the time, a marketing rep and Bob Carver (who was in the Chicago area smoozing dealers) stopped by.
Bob and I spent a lot of time talking about audio, It was very memorable event!:)

toddalin
12-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Seems that Sunfire no longer services their older True Subs but Rita's Vintage Audio now handles them. Rita's was started by former Carver employees and is housed in the old Carver building in WA.

This actually works out better for me because the new facility, where I would have sent it, is much further (in KY). Also, Rita's will let me remove and send the amp but Sunfire now insists on complete units, for a shipping weight difference of ~60#. They have a flat rate repair fee of $195 + shipping for repairs and upgrade/update the caps and some resistors.

Bob frequents Rita's facility and will often sign audio gear while there.

SpeakerLabFan
12-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Cool old picture of Bob Carver. I'm guessing that was taken when he was a student at the University of Washington...?

Seems that Sunfire no longer services their older True Subs but Rita's Vintage Audio now handles them. Rita's was started by former Carver employees and is housed in the old Carver building in WA.

This actually works out better for me because the new facility, where I would have sent it, is much further (in KY). Also, Rita's will let me remove and send the amp but Sunfire now insists on complete units, for a shipping weight difference of ~60#. They have a flat rate repair fee of $195 + shipping for repairs and upgrade/update the caps and some resistors.

Bob frequents Rita's facility and will often sign audio gear while there.

Rita's Vintage Audio Repair website: http://www.ritasvintageaudio.net/index.html

...they're located just a few buildings away from the Sunfire facilities in Snohomish, WA so it's convenient for Bob to spend some afternoons there.

I live about 30 minutes from the repair shop, and met Bob there earlier this year. Great down to earth guy, and it was really fun talking with him about Phase Linear Andromeda and Carver Amazing speakers - I have these and like them alot. He helped carry in some gear from my truck.

I got a picture of him with a Sansui tube receiver that I had brought in.

toddalin
12-11-2009, 11:21 AM
JBL should institute the Sunfire policy. Rather than have my Signiture sub repaired, Sunfire will let me trade it in toward a new Signiture sub.

Yeah, we all know what these places give in trade in..., next to nothing, right?

Well in this case, they've offered me ~$1,200 for the old sub, which is $300 more than I paid for it used.

JoMoCo
12-11-2009, 11:18 PM
He is still dabbelling:blink: in custom tube amps that show up on ebay from time to time.

http://shop.ebay.com/audioshopper/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

tarior
12-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Bob sure seems like an interesting guy, and certainly a design genius, but every time one of those damned switchmode P/S amps shows up at my bench, I find myself cussing him. Apparently, he's quite a bit smarter than I am.
Still wouldn't mind meeting him, though.:D