PDA

View Full Version : JBL L96 values

tberkhouse
12-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I have decided to sell a really nice pair of JBL L96 speakers (wood and front covers are in very nice condition), but I have no idea what they are worth or the best places to try to sell them. Any ideas are appreciated.

BMWCCA
12-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I have decided to sell a really nice pair of JBL L96 speakers (wood and front covers are in very nice condition), but I have no idea what they are worth or the best places to try to sell them. Any ideas are appreciated.

How 'bout the woofer surrounds? Any corrosion on the tweeter housing? Great speakers and your best bet may be someone on this site. Geography is against you since shipping will add close to 50% to the acquisition price for most of the country. But please resist parting them out, even if asked!

I have a pair and would buy another for the right price in a heartbeat, but not this month! ;)

I'm sure someone here will be asking for pictures so post them with and without the grilles in place, please. Welcome to the site and good luck to you. My best advice would be to keep them or sell them to a close friend so you can maybe get them back someday. :D

PS: maybe this thread belongs in Marketplace if you want to sell them here.

tberkhouse
12-11-2009, 11:01 AM
As far as I know by listening to them a few times each week and looking at the surrounds and housing, everything appears to be in perfect shape. I took some photos last night so I have them readily available if someone wants to look. If we decide to sell, I will post on this site and the Montana Craigslist. I still have no idea what they are realistically worth. I have seen a few pairs advertised online for between $200-395, but don't know what they actually sold for.

4313B
12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately they are probably worth more parted out than kept whole.

Recones on the LE10H's alone are $476 for the pair...

Recones on the LE5's are $204 for the pair...

The 044's are no longer serviceable so a working pair are probably valuable to someone.

rdgrimes
12-11-2009, 11:38 AM
I have seen a few pairs advertised online for between $200-395, but don't know what they actually sold for.
That's a realistic ballpark. You do need to deal with packing and shipping too. Minimum of 4" of rigid styrofoam on all sides and sturdy boxes. Can be shipped with the grills on but protect them from rubbing against the packing foam. Best to wrap the whole speaker in cardboard before packing.

BMWCCA
12-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Unfortunately they are probably worth more parted out than kept whole.

Recones on the LE10H's alone are $476 for the pair...

Recones on the LE5's are $204 for the pair...

The 044's are no longer serviceable so a working pair are probably valuable to someone.
Parting is tempting. Don't do it! :scold:
Nice pairs of 044s have recently sold on The Bay for $70, $66, and $85. A pair with some corrosion on the housing brought $41. There have been at least two auctions at BIN prices over $150 that didn't get a bid. Then there is currently a NOS pair in boxes that will likely shoot the moon.

LE10H-1 pairs in need of surrounds or with badly done surrounds have recently hung around $125 and that included a beautiful pair with the surround material cleaned off and ready for re-surround.

I don't ever see much of a demand for the LE5-12s in a price range that would make me think about parting out a pair of L96s, though $75-150 seems to be a reasonable range. Grilles, badges and cabinets are a crap shoot but can bring some good change, too. Figure at least $25 for badges alone.

So it's looking like parting out would bring $300 if not more, with the concomitant hassles of dealing with three or four buyers, shipping, packing, dead-beats, fraud, paypal, etc.

I hate to say this because I may need to sell them someday, but it's pretty well known from anyone who followed the thread that I bought my L96s from a list member here, in excellent condition, with factory re-coned LE10H-1s. He was asking $300 here and more, up-and-down, on Craig's List in a huge metro area known for JBL activity. Of course I'd never sell them for what I paid for them, but they were posted here and on the DC Craig's List for nearly six-months with not enough interest to close the deal. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23039

Quite a bit of price/value discussion in this recent thread, too: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24219

Grab a comfortable seat. ;)

4313B
12-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Parting is tempting. Don't do it! :scold:My point was that there is no value in these old systems. They are more expensive to maintain than they are worth on the market. Parting them out doesn't work either, as you've outlined, because no one will pay what they're worth. Nice pairs of 044's for $70? Those are core prices... that's less then the replacement diaphragms cost.

BMWCCA
12-11-2009, 02:39 PM
My point was that there is no value in these old systems. They are more expensive to maintain than they are worth on the market. Parting them out doesn't work either, as you've outlined, because no one will pay what they're worth. Nice pairs of 044's for $70? Those are core prices... that's less then the replacement diaphragms cost.Got it!
And I agree.
Though you once said more L112s and L150As should be parted out to preserve more L96s! :( :spchless:

I paid $32 for a working pair of 044s a while back. At that price who cares what condition the screen or aluminum is in. If we live long enough, we'll look back on these as lost opportunities. I had no interest in the L96 until you nut-jobs started talking them up. I figured someone had a cache of NOS pairs. But I like 'em. Not the best JBL for everything but nothing ever sounds bad on them. Easy to listen to for long periods, given a decent recording.

tberkhouse
12-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the various replies and advice regarding my original question about values. Since it appears the classified section is closed on this site, I just listed my very nice pair of JBL L96 speakers for sale on the Missoula (Montana) Craigslist site. If you can't find it or have questions, call me at 406-381-3672 or email [email protected] ([email protected]).

rdgrimes
12-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the various replies and advice regarding my original question about values. Since it appears the classified section is closed on this site, I just listed my very nice pair of JBL L96 speakers for sale on the Missoula (Montana) Craigslist site. If you can't find it or have questions, call me at 406-381-3672 or email [email protected] ([email protected]).
You can link the C-List ad, photos are always appreciated.

tberkhouse
01-06-2010, 11:59 AM
What does it mean to link the C-list ad?

4313B
01-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Though you once said more L112s and L150As should be parted out to preserve more L96s! :( :spchless:I personally prefer the tens to the twelves. :D

BMWCCA
01-06-2010, 12:13 PM
What does it mean to link the C-list ad?

It means you're allowed to do this on this forum:

http://missoula.craigslist.org/msg/1527825550.html

BMWCCA
01-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I personally prefer the tens to the twelves. :D
I can't say I disagree, though to me it's akin to the discussion of L5 versus L7. The 4412/L112 seem to realize dramatic changes from placement; barrier reinforcement, distance from the floor, etc. The L96 seems to doggedly resist sounding bad no matter where it's put, or what you play through it. It's far more forgiving, like the L5. Maybe it's because the 10" is already in a large cabinet, nearly the size of the 12" boxes, and the 12-inch really wants a larger box to sound less...boxy? Of course that didn't seem to help the L65 but then that wasn't the same woofer.

The L96 is a great "little" speaker. If the OP wasn't in Missoula they'd be long-gone by now. I'd buy another local pair in a heartbeat even though that would make something like more than a dozen JBL pair in this house, so obviously I don't need them.

Hopefully by Summer I'll have everything sorted out to play the L96, L112, and L150A side-by-side for comparison, just for fun. :)

hjames
01-06-2010, 12:47 PM
It means you're allowed to do this on this forum:

http://missoula.craigslist.org/msg/1527825550.html

Which, of course, will mean nothing in a few weeks, after the ad has expired ...

Better to grab the PIX and post them directly!

Acckkk ... too late! The 404 COW is there!

=========================
Very strange - works fine from home ...
Here ya go - Mac Screen cap

BMWCCA
01-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Which, of course, will mean nothing in a few weeks, after the ad has expired ...

Better to grab the PIX and post them directly!

Acckkk ... too late! The COW is there!

There is nothing here.

Still works for me. I'll preserve it before I dump the cache just in case. The ad is only a week old. Maybe the OP sold them??

(the only photo was not worth archving)

JBL L96 speakers - $295 (Stevensville)

Date: 2009-12-28, 1:33PM MST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads? (http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/replying_to_posts)]

Very nice vintage JBL L96 speakers, still work great, price is for the pair. Email [email protected] or call 406-381-3672 for more information.

Nope, I refreshed and it's still there! :blink:

tberkhouse
02-19-2010, 11:49 AM
I still have them, and just reduced the price to $239 for the pair.

As I sometimes don't check this forum for a week or more at a time, and I don't always seem to get the automatic notifications of posts, please email me directly at [email protected] or call 406/381-3672 if you have questions.

brutal
02-26-2010, 01:12 AM
e-mail sent, awaiting more pics if available.

tberkhouse
03-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I sold the speakers and am awaiting payment and pick up.