PDA

View Full Version : LE8 with 10" woof

John VDC
12-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Would using an LE8 to get the range extension over a dedicated 10" woofer (with no appreciable mid/hi end at all) be a waste of the JBL? the idea here is a small smooth full-range cabinet for acoustic and electric bass amplification in small rooms? I have each and am looking to get them off the shelf and into a useful project cabinet. My biggest concern would be how to design the crossover to keep from damaging the LE8 and still make the best full use of it's range.

JV

badman
12-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Electric bass? nooooooooo. That'd be a good way to ruin a classic driver. If you want to try this concept, check out the pioneer B20, it's like an le8 but without the high-end quality or pricetag, so you could abuse it without too much worry. Do about a 15L sealed box with a crossover at 150 and you should have quite a bit of protection, then use a cheap 15" underneath it. A 10" is insufficient for electric bass even in small venues. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-045

The crossover will likely want to be 2nd order on the 8" and 4th on the woofer.

jcrobso
12-10-2009, 11:53 AM
The LE8, cone would be blow out in short order. I understand what you are trying to do. I suggest you get a 12" bass speaker. I had a E120 reconed into a bass speaker, a 12" version of a E140. Works very good, will handle 300W, very good lows and highs.
If you want a 10" bass speaker look at this one.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-515
Save the LE8 for different project, like a center channel speaker!

John VDC
12-10-2009, 08:33 PM
"The LE8, cone would be blow out in short order. I understand what you are trying to do. I suggest (bass cabinet ideas SNIPPED) "

Not the point as I'm not a bass player! friend is but he's already got al manner of things... Im just trying to figure out real, useful projects for the myriad things that are taking up space... or get rid of them... all as immediately as possible.

"Save the LE8 for different project, like a center channel speaker!"

THIS makes more sense! I -do- indeed know what I have here in the L8 and do NOT want to destroy it pointlessly. Maybe a low-profile deep box ... sealed or ported would be the thing?
The 'home thee-ay-ter' is currently a trio of Minimus-7's up front, a pair of Spherex/Omnipolars as surrounds on an ONKYO reciever, and an EV 15W in a floor-firing sealed box (on a CROWN D-60).
It would be interesting, if not 'well-matched' to rebuild a pair of JBL-730 12" 2-ways into full-size L and R mains with the boxed L8 as a center... or would that mess up teh bass-management choices?

JV