PDA

View Full Version : Stand recommendation for Altec "BIG RED" needed

Guy L
06-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Hi,

I am looking for stands for my Altec 604 "Big red" monitors.
I would like to raise them 20-22 inches.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Guy

Tom Loizeaux
06-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Recording studios would mount these in a number of ways. Sometimes hanging them on the wall, sometimew soffit mounting them, sometimes building stands that stood on the floor. I don't think ts too important what stand design you use, just get them up to head level! I've seen a number of large studio monitors like these standing on frames made from 1X4 lumber, in a braced design, and usually painted flat black. Its really an asthetic desision.

Tom

GordonW
06-12-2003, 11:31 PM
I'd see if Sound Anchors had anything that would fit. The one thing that is for SURE, is that you want a stand that can handle the bulk and weight of the speaker. Putting it on a spindly, wobbly stand will probably result in worse sound than being on the floor. IME, Sound Anchors are built like the proverbial brick you-know-what house...

Regards,
Gordon.

Guy L
06-13-2003, 06:01 AM
Thanks Tom and Gordon,

I have ordered a custom Sound Anchors stands for them yesterday.

Regards,

Guy

Don McRitchie
06-14-2003, 10:51 AM
These monitors were pretty much designed for soffit mounting. Having them freestanding results in a 3db bass drop. Adding stands will likely result in another 3db drop. As has been discussed on our previous forum, if the intent of stands is to raise the HF driver to ear level, you may want to consider the alternative of tilting the cabinet back to aim the HF at ear level but keeping the box on the floor. This will at least prevent the latter 3db drop.

Guy L
06-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Thanks Don,

I have already ordered the custom stands from Sound anchors. At the moment they're placed on 18" tall chairs and I the bass is great as well as the imaging.
I hope to get better results with the stands and to position them close to the rear wall and hope for even better bass response.

Regards,

Guy