PDA

View Full Version : JBL L220, L220A confirmation?

wmmlynch
12-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Finally picked up a pair of L220s that were local after a few years of watchful waiting. Are these the L220A version? Serial numbers are consecutive, 196xx, with an embossed capital A in the label after the white serial number. I don't want to pull the LE14 right now to see if it's the H version. Thanks!

brutal
12-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Probably A's, but you may want to go look in the LHS serial number registry database.

http://www.prpr.no/lhs/lhsregistry.nsf/webFrame?OpenFrameSet&Frame=main&Src=%2Flhs%2Flhsregistry.nsf%2FInformation%2F%24fi rst!OpenDocument%26AutoFramed (http://www.prpr.no/lhs/lhsregistry.nsf/webFrame?OpenFrameSet&Frame=main&Src=%2Flhs%2Flhsregistry.nsf%2FInformation%2F%24fi rst%21OpenDocument%26AutoFramed)

pmakres1
12-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Finally picked up a pair of L220s that were local after a few years of watchful waiting. Are these the L220A version? Serial numbers are consecutive, 196xx, with an embossed capital A in the label after the white serial number. I don't want to pull the LE14 right now to see if it's the H version. Thanks!

Very likely you have the "A" version.

Another solid clue is to check the orientation of the coil leads, easily spotted on the front. If the coil leads are oriented approximately 45 degrees from the centerline, it's an LE14A. If the coil leads are "straight up and down", it's very likely an LE14H.

See photos of my L220A's, which have the LE14H driver.

Pete

wmmlynch
12-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks Pete! The leads on my LE14 are also vertical. The scale of these speakers is very surprising. I thought I was prepared after noting the measurements in the brochure at 48" high by 20" wide. But they are monsters! Another interesting calculation to make is to take the list price in 1979-1980 and inflate it to today. The cost is $2,500 each in today's dollars.

Bill
Owner of 4312A's since new.

Earl K
12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Another solid clue is to check the orientation of the coil leads, easily spotted on the front.
- If the coil leads are oriented approximately 45 degrees from the centerline, it's an LE14A.
- If the coil leads are "straight up and down", it's very likely an LE14H.

Ummm, I own a pair of Le14H(s) that have coil leads with a 45 degree orientation .

<> :)

pmakres1
12-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Ummm, I own a pair of Le14H(s) that have coil leads with a 45 degree orientation .

<> :)

I have to take notice to what Earl is saying...indeed upon doing some digging I find a photo that shows two different terminal orientation (and mounting) methods on the rear of what appears to be an LE14H. My LE14H's are like the photo with the straight up and down orientation (terminals mounted on their own sub-plate). I'd never seen one with the terminals oriented at 45 degrees...but this indeed appears to be an LE14H frame and magnet structure. (there is no mistaking the LE14A from the LE14H in this respect).

I suppose you could even have a re-coned LE14A with the coil leads oriented straight, if the speaker repairman really stretched the leads. This would seem unlikely...

I'd still be pretty confident you have L220A's, based on the lead orientation AND the fact that the serialized foilcals carry the "A" designation.

If you want to know beyond ALL doubt, you may need to pull the driver and examine the back.

Pete