PDA

View Full Version : Transducers for hybrid electric cars

robertbartsch
12-01-2009, 07:48 AM
I saw something recently about GM's new electric car - the Volt. Apparently, the car is so quiet on the road that they need to develop a sound warning system so, as a safety concern, pedestrians and pets can hear the cars comming.

Is this something Harman is developing?

Eaulive
12-01-2009, 07:59 AM
I saw something recently about GM's new electric car - the Volt. Apparently, the car is so quiet on the road that they need to develop a sound warning system so, as a safety concern, pedestrians and pets can hear the cars comming.

Is this something Harman is developing?

Back in the days we use to stick hockey cards in the wheel spikes, held with a clothepin :applaud:
Then again, 15' of rope and a couple of empty cans of beef-a-roni should do the trick.

BMWCCA
12-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Is this something Harman is developing?It's a problem with any electric or hybrid that's getting some coverage in the press. Rather than Harman, they should be looking to license the technology from Harley. For decades we've been hearing about how loud pipes save lives. Might as well put that popping and farting to good use.

Disclosure: as a motorcyclist for almost forty years, my pet peeve is law enforcement not enforcing laws governing loud motorcycle exhausts. As a BMW rider I suffer the disdain the public has for all motorcycles because of the "loud pipe" lobby. In Virginia you will be ticketed for operating a radar detector but I never see anyone stopped for operating a Harley with straight pipes, a Corvette without a front license plate, or a pickup jacked-up beyond height limits.

4313B
12-01-2009, 08:14 AM
I saw something recently about GM's new electric car - the Volt. Apparently, the car is so quiet on the road that they need to develop a sound warning system so, as a safety concern, pedestrians and pets can hear the cars comming.Ninja autos culling the overpopulated herd for the win...

badman
12-01-2009, 09:16 AM
It's a problem with any electric or hybrid that's getting some coverage in the press. Rather than Harman, they should be looking to license the technology from Harley. For decades we've been hearing about how loud pipes save lives. Might as well put that popping and farting to good use.

Disclosure: as a motorcyclist for almost forty years, my pet peeve is law enforcement not enforcing laws governing loud motorcycle exhausts. As a BMW rider I suffer the disdain the public has for all motorcycles because of the "loud pipe" lobby. In Virginia you will be ticketed for operating a radar detector but I never see anyone stopped for operating a Harley with straight pipes, a Corvette without a front license plate, or a pickup jacked-up beyond height limits.

Without a combustion engine, you'll need to eat a LOT of chili.

BMWCCA
12-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Without a combustion engine, you'll need to eat a LOT of chili.
Well, at least you won't have to pay for the rights since Harley dropped the patent application for their sound in 2000.

Funny take on it here in an audio link to an NPR story: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1075832

louped garouv
12-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Ninja autos culling the overpopulated herd for the win...

that's awesome! you are too in touch with today's youth 4313B

:applaud:

Robh3606
12-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Ninja autos culling the overpopulated herd for the win...

Hmm:hmm:

Death Race 2000?? Oh look a bunch of doctors and nurses!

Rob:)

jcrobso
12-01-2009, 11:25 AM
They could use the robot voice from Lost in Space. Danger, danger Volt approaching or not!:blink:

robertbartsch
12-01-2009, 11:46 AM
I would have to recommend an updated version of a 2405 screaming 800Hz test tones at high SPLs from the front and rear of each Volt vehicle.

These things were installed at traffic corners to assist the blind in White Plains NY which is about 2 miles from my house. The systems worked so well that you could hear the warning tones clearly from a 1/2 mile distance. In fact they worked so well, that the town was flooded with complants from folks who were not able to sleep at night.

Therefore, the system was modified with some cheapie non-JBL units and the the restless nights were no more.

Allanvh5150
12-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Or maybe drop the hybrid altogether. There are plenty of normal IC cars on the road that return better fuel figures. Maybe in 10 years when battery technology has moved up from what we have today.

louped garouv
12-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Or maybe drop the hybrid altogether. There are plenty of normal IC cars on the road that return better fuel figures. Maybe in 10 years when battery technology has moved up from what we have today.

yep, not to even mention the coal that gets burned to create the electricity that is put into the grid, that is used to power the cars' batteries...

i knwo some hippies up here that have converted old benz diesel's into
bio fuel vehicles; they get the used oil they need for fuel from a few local restaurants.