PDA

View Full Version : No highs, no lows, must be....

jblnut
06-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Imagine my disappoinment...

I finally get my wife to agree to a babysitter so we can go out and actually hear some live music. It's been years since I've been in a small club, but as luck would have it a brand new Blues club just opened up in Worcester Mass. And a stellar new act is in town - the Nicole Nelson Band. If you have a chance to see this young lady - DO IT !!!! (www.nicolenelsonband.com).

Anyway, we get a good seat near the front and the show starts almost immediately. To my horror I suddenly realize that the sound is all wrong. There's no real high end and the low end ain't there either. To make matters worse her excellent (!!!) vocals are somewhat blurred and hard to make out clearly. The reason ? I look up and see what appears to be a shiny new Bose pro sound system in the house. Must be about a hundred little speaker cones up there all trying to get it togeher. There's the familiar 9-driver (901-esque) arrays plus something I've not seen before. Directly above the stage about 15 feet in the air are 4 rectangular cabs (2 forward and 2 facing rear) with about 8 slightly larger (6" maybe?) drivers each. Some sort of strange attempt at bass I guess. Sure as hell didn't work.

I was so sad to think that I've heard MUCH better sound from a pair of EON 2-ways at weddings.

Cross that club off my list....

jblnut

Guido
06-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Here in Germany we call it not Bose but Böse (Boese) which means

EVIL

:rotfl:

Alex Lancaster
06-29-2004, 12:19 PM
They are not even evil, what is German for shitty?

Chas
06-29-2004, 12:48 PM
I think it's "Shise" HP?

Guido
06-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
They are not even evil, what is German for shitty?

SCHEISSE

Hofmannhp
06-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Guido
SCHEISSE

Hey guys,

what's up.....your translation is correct but..... I don't take in the hand.....you took it in the mouth. :slink:

HP

Chas
06-29-2004, 04:46 PM
oops, Danke!

Hofmannhp
06-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Chas
oops, Danke!

:D :D no problem Chas, ..just a joke. I use this word frequently when walkin through some audio shops without JBLs

HP

kenratboy
07-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Well, for a pro venue, they don't have 20 pound tweeters sizzling away because a 4.5" paper cone would do the same thing :rolleyes:

jblnut
07-01-2004, 10:47 AM
a 4.5" paper cone alone won't do it, but somehow when you get 9 of them together some magical door to another world is opened and suddenly you get sizzling highs and deep, thunderous bass.

Or not....

:cool:

jblnut

PS - I wonder how many other clubs around me have installed these POS sound systems. It sucks to be 15 miles from their HQ and 2700 from Northridge!

kenratboy
07-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Well, I discovered why they use 9 drivers, its so they can get a proper load on the amp (3 sets of 3)

Honestly, I really like the 901's - in theory.

Maybe I could buy some empty 901's and load them with 18 Rockford Fosgate 4.5" car speakers. You would then have responce up to 20KHz., and decent bass.

Hmmmm...

spkrman57
02-27-2005, 12:59 PM
restaurant owners think they can buy a few cute little speakers, hang them on the wall and they think they have "beautiful muzak"!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!

Titanium Dome
02-27-2005, 02:41 PM
restaurant owners think they can buy a few cute little speakers, hang them on the wall and they think they have "beautiful muzak"!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!

It's a paradox: you can't use "music" with Bose, and you can't use "beautiful" with muzak, but you can use Bose and Muzak together and people think it's beautiful. :barf:

majick47
02-27-2005, 08:25 PM
JBLNUT sorry to hear abour your experience in Worcester. My brother likes to get out with the wife and listen to live music. I'll advise him to call ahead and inquire as to the house sound system to see if it is going to be worth the ride. Last week he dropped over to listen to Boz Scaggs Live dvd and knows what music really sounds like on large full range JBL speakers.

jblnut
02-28-2005, 07:10 AM
JBLNUT sorry to hear abour your experience in Worcester. My brother likes to get out with the wife and listen to live music. I'll advise him to call ahead and inquire as to the house sound system to see if it is going to be worth the ride. Last week he dropped over to listen to Boz Scaggs Live dvd and knows what music really sounds like on large full range JBL speakers.

Just for grins, ask him to take in a show at that club (Union Blues) - I'd like a second opinion. Maybe they've gotten in dialed in a little better now...

jblnut

majick47
02-28-2005, 10:16 AM
JBLNUT I'll tell my brother about checking out Union Blues. He mentioned a club in Quincy MA that had a terrific blues band every weekend, top notch house sound system with a sweet Hammond organ to boot. It's tough for me to get out since I work evenings so I put togeather my own full sized JBL/Yamaha system. Still not as good as live/being there but will beat Bose "live" any day of the week. Side note: 10-12 years ago I had an Infinity with a Bose sound system, thought it sounded good until I bought a Lexus LS400 with the Nakamichi sound system, the Lexus/Nak puts the Infinity/Bose to shame.

djmt99
03-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Just for grins, ask him to take in a show at that club (Union Blues) - I'd like a second opinion. Maybe they've gotten in dialed in a little better now...

Hi guys. I'm a newbie here and just came across this post, which I know is somewhat from the archives! :)

I just thought I'd share with everyone that you probably won't be hearing (or not hearing) any music from Union Blues for a while. It seems that the club owner neglected to pay the City any rent and has decided to fold-up, not being able to financially keep up. :blink:

JBLnsince1959
03-01-2006, 06:48 PM
This attitude about Bose has got to stop!!!;)

jblnut
03-01-2006, 06:53 PM
It'll stop when they quit making "speakers"...

:D

jblnut

This attitude about Bose has got to stop!!!;)

majick47
03-01-2006, 09:47 PM
What can we attriute to the demise of the Union Blues? Lack of patronage, subrate performers, high rent or poor advertising/managment. My bet would be their Bose sound system.