PDA

View Full Version : 4688 TCB in a Car

HemiMoparGuy198
11-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Hey All,

Don't know if you tinker with car audio at all...but I am disappointed lately. Picked out all the components I wanted to build a system for a car I am building up. Go back to JBL site a year later (present) and the subs I wanted are no longer there, and the amps that they had Crown either make, or at least help with engineering, are not there. Just don't understand why they'd quit making the top of the line models they had. So anyway, got a retarded idea of a TCB in the car. Won't fit in the hatchback, so it'd replace the back seat...which is fine, I'm making a toy...basically it'll fit kinda closely in with the original Fast and Furious movie. Something that will be fun to drive, and fin to listen to the music. Anyway, I was thinking of running power inverters and going with Crown amps like I'd want in my house as well...since the amps JBL has now don't rank even close to the ones they partnered with Crown on. I know it may seem silly...but remeber, if TCB is in back seat, I sitll have the whole hatchback area to fill up, and who has an audio rack in a car?? So I think it'd be pretty original as well...A van, or SUV may have similar amps and a TCB out there, but I'm talking a hatchback sports car...Anyway, looking for opninons of all kinds, but mainly on "will the TCB 4688 sound good in my car?"

tarior
11-29-2009, 09:59 AM
...Anyway, looking for opninons of all kinds, but mainly on "will the TCB 4688 sound good in my car?"

I dunno. Stuff it in there and tell us how it sounds. I suspect that if want something like that in your car, hearing damage, not sound quality, is your ultimate goal.

HemiMoparGuy198
11-29-2009, 10:12 AM
I suspect that if want something like that in your car, hearing damage, not sound quality, is your ultimate goal.

LOL, I get the point...not like I'd have it cranked while IN the car. But it'd be cool to have like at parties and stuff...and basically just for show. Also, I wouldn't need it very loud at all to feel a little shake and thump from the bass with the monster in there...so my volume would actually be lower, thus less chance of hearing damage.

JBL 4645
11-29-2009, 10:13 AM
I’d get an arc welder first and reinforce the car! :D and pair of ear defenders as it would bust and damage your ears!

I dunno. Stuff it in there and tell us how it sounds. I suspect that if want something like that in your car, hearing damage, not sound quality, is your ultimate goal.

Yeah high efficiency PA sub in close proximity = damaged ears! The rest of the body might take it, but your ears you need them for directional sounds and they won’t be any use to you, if they are perforated by excessive close range HIGH SPL db!

Remember the vehicle will generate lows from the engine and vibrations from the road surface that is just as equally good. Yet they aren’t busting your ears at 120dbc 130dbc! Average car +80dbc to 90dbc depending on speed.

Also seal the car airtight and then play some pressurized music while standing outside and wait till the glass shatters.:D

Also what about the suspension! The back end is going to hang down a bit that TCB in the back. lol

I’d stick spectrumlab on your pc or (laptop) and take a reading of the cars sound frequency first! Then stick the TCB in the car and run it with the engine turned off. I’d like to see the graphs of the waterfalls.

Also don’t forget to EQ the sub for any excessive peaks that will be mostly boom in your ear and very unpleasant as well.

And most of all! Pictures! I ain’t going to believe it till I see it!
:useless:

Why not stick box-trailer on the back and get the TCB to run at 120dbc at 1metre while driving around the neighboured at 12am! The lows will be bouncing off all the houses and in-between them, while pissed off neighbours look out their windows, wondering where it’s coming from?:D

HemiMoparGuy198
11-29-2009, 02:35 PM
I’d get an arc welder first and reinforce the car! :D and pair of ear defenders as it would bust and damage your ears!

Yeah high efficiency PA sub in close proximity = damaged ears! The rest of the body might take it, but your ears you need them for directional sounds and they won’t be any use to you, if they are perforated by excessive close range HIGH SPL db!

Remember the vehicle will generate lows from the engine and vibrations from the road surface that is just as equally good. Yet they aren’t busting your ears at 120dbc 130dbc! Average car +80dbc to 90dbc depending on speed.

Also seal the car airtight and then play some pressurized music while standing outside and wait till the glass shatters.:D

Also what about the suspension! The back end is going to hang down a bit that TCB in the back. lol

I’d stick spectrumlab on your pc or (laptop) and take a reading of the cars sound frequency first! Then stick the TCB in the car and run it with the engine turned off. I’d like to see the graphs of the waterfalls.

Also don’t forget to EQ the sub for any excessive peaks that will be mostly boom in your ear and very unpleasant as well.

And most of all! Pictures! I ain’t going to believe it till I see it!
:useless:

Why not stick box-trailer on the back and get the TCB to run at 120dbc at 1metre while driving around the neighboured at 12am! The lows will be bouncing off all the houses and in-between them, while pissed off neighbours look out their windows, wondering where it’s coming from?:D

The suspension won't sag with the TCB, as it doesn't sag very much at all when I am in the back, and I have a good 50 lbs on the TCB...that and gotta love the beauty of factory original adjustable struts.

And of course, if I actually do go through with this, I'd provide pics...but as of now, just getting ideas as to how to cope with the fact that JBL is thinning out its car audio line

Also, If I did do this, the volume obviously would be very low as to prevent hearing problems.

HemiMoparGuy198
11-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure the 4688 will fit, even in the back seat...at 59 inches, it may be a smidgen too wide. I might have to drop down to the 4685 or 4682

HemiMoparGuy198
11-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Well, since I have to build the TCB myself as they are not readily available, and if they were, I wouldn't want to pay the shipping for it, I was thinking...Do you think it would make much (if any) difference if I made the box slightly shorter so it'd fit in the car, as long as I keep the cubic inches the same by making it a little bigger in a different dimension? Or should I look into the little brother version that will fit?

Besides the comments about hearing loss, are there any good (logical) reasons I should quit considering this...such as the difference between car audio and home audio and not to mix them. Like someone mentioned about the high quality PA speakers in close perimeters...I understand the hearing loss part, but do you think it would still sound good, or will it sound crappy since the sound has nowhere to travel?? Like maybe car speakers are designed for short range travel, and home speakers are designed for a longer range??

A few comments on the TCB have been made, what about using Crown amps to run everything (even if I don't go with a TCB), I don't see how there would be a difference in home (or pro) audio amps and car amps, other than the size...the actual circuitry, obviously the power supplies are different, etc. But I would think the home amps would have a better power supply and better cooling...only disadvantage would be the space they take up...but I am considering a friggin TCB, obviously I am not concerned with space...besides, like I said, the TCB will replace the back seat, and it would be retarded to put any smaller speakers further back than the TCB, so the whole hatchback area is free for anything, so I could have a cool audio rack and everything built in there that would make many DJ's jealous

11-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Well, since I have to build the TCB myself as they are not readily available, and if they were, I wouldn't want to pay the shipping for it, I was thinking...Do you think it would make much (if any) difference if I made the box slightly shorter so it'd fit in the car, as long as I keep the cubic inches the same by making it a little bigger in a different dimension? Or should I look into the little brother version that will fit?

Within reason, changing the dimensions works fine. Just keep the volume of the three chambers the same. Making it narrower will mean that the height OR the depth, or both will have to change to maintain the internal volume. At some point you will find that the width can not be reduced any further due to the fact that the two drivers mount together in the center chamber. Once they get "too close" you have reached the minimum width for the center chamber. Redesigning it to place the drivers in the outside two chambers would be a lot of work, not impossible, but not trivial.

You could JUST re-dimension the outer two chambers and leave the center as is if that would fit in your space better. (Make the two side chambers taller or deeper or even tapered, rounded, etc. The volume is the only thing that matters, well, that and the duct size/length.

I've been in a car that had a single CV 18 behind the back seat armrest, I can't imagine being IN the car with a pair of 18's, let alone a pair in a TCB!

Have fun!

Eaulive
11-30-2009, 01:15 PM
What ever happened to booster equalizers and four 6x9s ? :(

Times, they are changing...

HemiMoparGuy198
11-30-2009, 01:40 PM
What ever happened to booster equalizers and four 6x9s ? :(

Times, they are changing...

LOL, yeah, I remember my dad having that, and then I got the car when I was 16 (well 13, but couldn't drive it...legally)

Again, this is all because JBL is no longer producing the GTi MKII subwoofer line and the Px (Crown) amps...it is my coping method of how to get what I had picked out, but in this case, I guess better...provided I get enough opinions that it won't sound crappy having that stuffed in a car, a very small sports car at that

JBL 4645
11-30-2009, 04:59 PM
So it won’t fit that doesn’t surprise me. You need only to stand back and glance at it. Look at the size of that thing.

What was that line form Jaws? Your gonna need a bigger car?:D
I know about it’s the Control SB-5 TCB, now that will fit! ;)
How about a VW camper? Plenty of room inside them!

Since your JBL TCB owner I stumbled onto this thread on different site. I was looking for keywords of some owners shoving it in the back of car, so far I’ve found nothing. Look out for the snake! lol
http://forum.speakerplans.com/topic15533_page2.html (http://forum.speakerplans.com/topic15533_page2.html)

Zilch
11-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Besides the comments about hearing loss, are there any good (logical) reasons I should quit considering this...such as the difference between car audio and home audio and not to mix them. Like someone mentioned about the high quality PA speakers in close perimeters...I understand the hearing loss part, but do you think it would still sound good, or will it sound crappy since the sound has nowhere to travel?? Like maybe car speakers are designed for short range travel, and home speakers are designed for a longer range??No difference that cabin gain won't fix.... :p

HemiMoparGuy198
12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
No difference that cabin gain won't fix.... :p

Cool...So what do you think of this idea...am I retarded? Or do you think it'll be something very cool and original (and functional)?

HemiMoparGuy198
12-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Yup, I think I've decided the other components I'd like to use along with the TCB if I do go through with it. Build a box on top of the TCB that swivels 180 degrees, so when at parties or something I can spin it around and project the sound out the open hatchback. But in this box will contain 2 2118's or similar and 2 2370 horns with 2425 drivers or similar. Remember, the TCB will replace the back seat, and in the hatchback I will have an audio rack with amps, CD players, mixer, etc that will make many DJ's jealous cuz mine is mobile and FAST.