PDA

View Full Version : One LE-10 has distorted bass...

Ralph856
11-28-2009, 08:06 AM
...but only very occasionally on material with heavy bass (house/dub), while the other LE10 doesn't. Sounds very overloaded.

I hope it ain't serious?:o:. Speakers are L96's.

Ralph856
11-28-2009, 11:36 AM
sweep test file received. Thanks Macaroonie!

Fred Sanford
11-28-2009, 07:13 PM
It's a long shot, but check for physical issues, too- look inside for something wedged in the frame, or pressing on the cone.

je

ROSSO
11-29-2009, 04:16 PM
...but only very occasionally on material with heavy bass (house/dub), while the other LE10 doesn't. Sounds very overloaded.

I hope it ain't serious?:o:. Speakers are L96's.I have found woofers in the past that began to buzz on heavy use when the voice coil was beginning to separate from the cone. If caught early enough, that can be fixed. You can use adhesive remover applied with an artist's brush to soften the the glue around the dust cap, then gently lift it off. If the voice coil former and cone joint is badly separated you may need to shim the voice coil to center it. Usually the top of the voice coil former protrudes a fraction of an inch above the cone joint. Run a small bead of glue around cone-former joint, let it dry throughly, then test it. If it works to your satisfaction, glue the dust cap back on.

Ralph856
11-30-2009, 08:14 PM
I have found woofers in the past that began to buzz on heavy use when the voice coil was beginning to separate from the cone. If caught early enough, that can be fixed.

Actually, I first noticed it not too long after I bought the speakers at the beginning of summer '09...but hoped it would go away. So may have missed the opportunity of 'catching it early'.

The woofers themselves were refoamed by a well-regarded speaker repairer just before I bought the speakers.

Will do a sweep test probably later this week. Cheers.

Rolf
12-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Always re-cone ... not re-foam. JBL does not sell re-foam kit.

Actually, I first noticed it not too long after I bought the speakers at the beginning of summer '09...but hoped it would go away. So may have missed the opportunity of 'catching it early'.

The woofers themselves were refoamed by a well-regarded speaker repairer just before I bought the speakers.

Will do a sweep test probably later this week. Cheers.

Ralph856
12-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Always re-cone ... not re-foam. JBL does not sell re-foam kit.

They were already freshly refoamed when I bought them dude. In any case, are LE10 kits still available?

Rolf
12-03-2009, 03:21 AM
Hi. You must ask those more into "the what is / what is not available".

They were already freshly refoamed when I bought them dude. In any case, are LE10 kits still available?