PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4673 (4647 with 2380 horns)

HemiMoparGuy198
11-21-2009, 02:50 PM
After like 3 years, I finally had the time, energy, ambition, and money to get my JBL 4673 clones that I acquired working mostly properly. They sound friggin AWESOME, and you'll be amazed at what I have powering them; It is just a Sony bookshelf stereo system that has a mere 100 watts/channel. I can't WAIT to see what these babies will sound like with a real amp...actually, I can wait, I can wait till I have the money. Anyway, I'm wanting some new advice now...I was wondering what anyone recommends for a decent amp for these in an HT setup. Eventually, I want to run a Harman/Kardon AVR-254 preamp outputs into some Crown amps, kinda thinking the CE-1000 or 2000 (or both, in a bi amp setup 1000 for the 2380/2445 horns and 2000 for the 2226 drivers) But as for now, would the H/K be a decent power source for now...decent as in kinda significantly better than the Sony I am using now? Or does anyone have any other ideas that would be inexpensive for now, that would make it sound better, and would fit into my eventual upgrade plans

HemiMoparGuy198
11-22-2009, 10:06 AM
I found a pretty good deal on ebay for some crown XLS series amps that I think would be a good match to my setup as well as my eventual plans to upgrade to a bi or tri amp setup. I'm thinking the XLS 202 will power the 2380/2445 horns; the 402 power the 2226 drivers, and the 602 for the TCB I plan to build a clone of.

Those plans are down the road, but I'd like to buy stuff now that will fit in with the plans, so I don't lose money on the equipment per se, and so I don't have to spend as much for the upgrades later, since I'd already have half the equipment needed. Anyway, will these amps (or any other similar amps) be good in a HT setup without a preamp output...What I mean is, I don't have the money to go all out right now, but I want a better amp than the Sony bookshelf that I have right now...and I'm questioning if it'd be wise to go with one of the amps mentioned (or similar) or if I should go with an HT receiver such as a Harman Kardon or similar...until I have the money for the much nicer amps and can use the preamp from the H/K