PDA

View Full Version : Supply of OEM 2405 diaphragms rare?

robertbartsch
11-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I have an old pair of 2405 slots that I just bought and that have been used in pro SR.

Are there plenty of JBL OEM diaphragms for these drivers or are they now getting more scarce?

I assume JBL will no longer make these as a result of their decision to no longer cater to the vintage community; right?

My drivers have OEM frams and they work, but I assume they have been hammered a ton.

grumpy
11-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Attitude isn't helping your case, or anyone else's here.
If you're worried, buy some.

I have an old pair of 2405 slots that I just bought and that have been used in pro SR.

Are there plenty of JBL OEM diaphragms for these drivers or are they now getting more scarce?

I assume JBL will no longer make these as a result of their decision to no longer cater to the vintage community; right?

My drivers have OEM frams and they work, but I assume they have been hammered a ton.

robertbartsch
11-15-2009, 01:36 PM
I suppose my real question is whether it is likely people will start to hord remaining OEM parts and drive up prices or are the existing inventories reasonably high such that parts will be around for a couple of years or more?

The factory decision is unfortunate but I assume when supplies get tight the prices will escalate sharply. I'm just trying to estimate what is likely in the near future.

Hey, thinks can change. GM re-introduced the Camaro so maybe in a few years the fatory will again crank out the old parts. I'm reasonably certain the tooling is not going anywhere soon.

BMWCCA
11-15-2009, 05:47 PM
GM re-introduced the Camaro so maybe in a few years the fatory will again crank out the old parts.Good thought. Now try fitting any part from a 2010 Camaro to a vintage model and get back to us. :applaud:

Many others do provide vintage OE-spec parts for collectible cars. But then there's a demand and a profit to be taken for filling that demand. And the good stuff ain't cheap.

JeffW
11-15-2009, 10:03 PM
I bought a pair of D16R2405 from OCS a couple of months ago, and then bought a NIB pair of 2405H drivers off an estate sale linked from here for $20 more each than the diaphragms cost.

If you are willing to drop coin, the parts are still there.

Oldmics
11-16-2009, 08:19 AM
I assume JBL will no longer make these as a result of their decision to no longer cater to the vintage community; right

Robert

Did I miss something here? :banghead:

What information can you share with us that for the basis of this statement.

Thanks,Oldmics

robertbartsch
11-16-2009, 09:46 AM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23281&highlight=replacement+parts+OEM

There are several threads here discussing Harmon's decision on this. I'm not sure if this new policy applies to both vintage re-cone kits and diaphragms but I assume it does.

...not trying to stir the pot, but just looking for advice on how to keep my favorite tweets running clean.

4313B
11-16-2009, 11:51 AM
...not trying to stir the pot, but just looking for advice on how to keep my favorite tweets running clean.Buy a couple replacement diaphragms? :blink:

yggdrasil
11-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Buy a couple replacement diaphragms? :blink:
+1

MikeBrewster77
11-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Good thought. Now try fitting any part from a 2010 Camaro to a vintage model and get back to us. :applaud:

Hmmmmm ... I once was ASE certified, but I never did try to just bolt on a stock later gen part to an older vehicle. I did have a few "conversations" with guys who thought that any water pump that was ever attached to a 350 would fit any other 350 (even if there was that pesky 30 year age difference) but I would just get out the 6 or so differently configured parts and let them choose the one they wanted ... man, those guys who happened to pick the marine version were pissed when they brought them back in to return them ;) !!! Of course, nothing quite tops the guy who wanted a tune-up kit for his Cummins diesel and got shitty with me when I tried to explain that - while yes I could sell him some spark plugs if he really wanted them - I sure as hell didn't know where he was going to put them in his motor...

Good to know that I can still just go out and buy any Mustang part for my nearly 20 year old model!!! :applaud:

robertbartsch
11-17-2009, 06:07 AM
I bought a pair of slot OEM frames about 8 or 10 months ago. Today, I checked a few prices of the same "make and model" from different vendors and, based on my calculations, they are up in price approximately 15%

I assume this price escalation will continue for the foreseable future.

Akira
11-17-2009, 09:22 AM
There are plenty of after market parts out for the 24xx series UHF drivers.
While I don't know how they sound in real life conditions (that's the only thing that matters to me) I have had great results using AM replacement diaphragms on 2241 drivers. I used to by these at $30. a crack as opposed to the outrageous JBL price of $200. CND. And that was 15-20 years ago!
We get ripped off in Canada. When it comes down to making a living at it-- why not.

p.s. the quality of this particular cone kit was excellent and I could hear no sonic difference, but I would imagine higher frequency units may be more susceptible to audible differences.

robertbartsch
11-17-2009, 12:05 PM
My experience with aftermarket frams is poor. One Altec 902 and one JBL 2425 I purchased on Fleabay both had aftermarket units.

Both sounded horrible! I replaced each with an OEM unit (GPA for Altec) and they now sound great.

Consequently, I will buy only OEM unless not available.

11-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Hmmmmm ... I once was ASE certified, but I never did try to just bolt on a stock later gen part to an older vehicle. I did have a few "conversations" with guys who thought that any water pump that was ever attached to a 350 would fit any other 350 (even if there was that pesky 30 year age difference) but I would just get out the 6 or so differently configured parts and let them choose the one they wanted ... man, those guys who happened to pick the marine version were pissed when they brought them back in to return them ;) !!! Of course, nothing quite tops the guy who wanted a tune-up kit for his Cummins diesel and got shitty with me when I tried to explain that - while yes I could sell him some spark plugs if he really wanted them - I sure as hell didn't know where he was going to put them in his motor...

Good to know that I can still just go out and buy any Mustang part for my nearly 20 year old model!!! :applaud:

There IS one part that will fit, in fact it fits ANY auto, no matter the age, well, since 1905 or so.

On the aftermarket 'phragms, I agree, best to be avoided. There is one Aluminium copy of the 2405 'phragm that soundx OK, NOT as good as the original, but better than the rest of the copies.

MikeBrewster77
11-17-2009, 07:28 PM
There IS one part that will fit, in fact it fits ANY auto, no matter the age, well, since 1905 or so.

And even quite a few bicycles! ;)

BMWCCA
11-17-2009, 08:18 PM
There IS one part that will fit, in fact it fits ANY auto, no matter the age, well, since 1905 or so.:hmm: Can't be a spark plug because there are now many sizes, reaches, etc. Tires? Though I can't even find decent 165/70x13s anymore, much less the 10" or 8" I need for my micro-cars. Certainly not bulbs. Schrader valve? But not exactly on the run-flats these days, I don't think, and certainly the valve stem itself is different today. Okay, with the hint I'll go with Schrader valve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve).

hjames
11-18-2009, 03:57 AM

Lets see - that would be the nut behind the wheel!

toddalin
11-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Schraeder valves used to keep air in the tires. But even some of these may now have been changed with the new tire pressure sensors that are built into the valve stems. Also used on motorcycles, ATVs, bicycles, etc. But, how is this on topic and how does it help the original poster?

grumpy
11-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Statement:

Question:

They appear to still be readily available for sale.

Opinion/Hearsay:

Statement, which answers original question if logically followed to conclusion:

Then more speculation in the form of a question:

I suppose my real question is whether it is likely people will start to hord remaining OEM parts and drive up prices or are the existing inventories reasonably high such that parts will be around for a couple of years or more?

Which I interpret as "can I afford to postpone purchase of new/OEM 2405
diaphragms?" ... who can possibly answer that other than the OP?

JeffW
11-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Which I interpret as "can I afford to postpone purchase of new/OEM 2405
diaphragms?" ... who can possibly answer that other than the OP?

That, and he estimates the price to increase 15% per year. If you believe that parts may become scarce, are going to increase steadily in cost, and the parts you currently have may be past their useful lifespan, then the answer would be fairly obvious.

ivica
08-19-2011, 06:17 AM

I have bad experience with AF diaphragms for 2405/077, either in efficiency and HF range, so my suggestion is to use original D16R2405, even original one is about 3-4 times more expensive.