PDA

View Full Version : GPA 604 crossovers for sale

rgwalker
11-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Bill from GPA is selling 604 crossovers for $95.00 each on Ebay with shipping included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Altec-Lansing-604-8-Crossover-NEW-Great-Plains-Audio_W0QQitemZ230398592642QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVint age_Electronics_R2?hash=item35a4d38682

I just received a pair and I haven't tried them yet but they look really nice. I'll try them with 604Es and with 604-8Gs and perhaps it will get me off of my ass to build the Jeff Markwart crossovers with the parts that I've had for several months. It will be interesting to hear the differences between the various crossovers.

Bob Walker

rgwalker
11-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I hooked up the GPA 604 crossovers today to my 604Es. All I can say is wow!!! I was expecting some improvement but not for it to be spectacular. This is a must for all 604E (and other 604s?) owners. For $190.00 a pair including shipping you can't go wrong.

Bob Walker

Earl K
11-17-2009, 06:46 AM
I hooked up the GPA 604 crossovers today to my 604Es. All I can say is wow!!! I was expecting some improvement but not for it to be spectacular. This is a must for all 604E (and other 604s?) owners. For $190.00 a pair including shipping you can't go wrong.

Interesting !

I certainly wouldn't have predicted such jubilant results when using a crossover designed for 8 ohm loads ( the new GPAs ) but ultimately connected to a nominal 12-16 ohm load ( a stock 604E ) .

Must be Kismet at work .

Have you informed GPA of this happy coincidence ?

<> cheers :)

ps ; Are you sure your 604Es have original parts ( coils & diaphragms ) ?

rgwalker
11-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Interesting !

I certainly wouldn't have predicted such jubilant results when using a crossover designed for 8 ohm loads ( the new GPAs ) but ultimately connected to a nominal 12-16 ohm load ( a stock 604E ) .

Must be Kismet at work .

Have you informed GPA of this happy coincidence ?

ps ; Are you sure your 604Es have original parts ( coils & diaphragms ) ?

These are stock 604Es in Barzilay cabinets and as far as I could tell I was the first person to open them up. I'm not technical so I can't explain it in those terms and therefore the emotional response. I was expecting to turn it on today and be disappointed but I wasn't and I couldn't pull myself away for over an hour as I listened to Michael Brecker - Tales From The Hudson and Dave Weckl - Multiplicity.

In retrospect I think that the N1500s are shot and that there would have been a vast improvement by fixing them. However, the GPA crossovers greatly improve the stock 604E sound.

I've owned 604Es and 604-8Gs for 35+ years and other than some Valencias they're all that I ever used in my home stereo up until a year ago when I switched to a hybrid Altec/EV/Heil 3 way system with a highly upgraded Model 19 crossover. That system still blows me away and the 604Es with the GPA crossover have the same quality but in the voice of a 604.

I have a pair of Urei 838 crossovers from Urei 813As. I've had them hooked up to 604-8Gs without a bass speaker and IMHO it was the best midrange that I had ever heard from a 604. However, without the bottom end it isn't a fair comparison and I used a Crown DC300A and played hard rock and roll in the garage. I've got these hooked up to McIntosh MC30s in the living room with an 18' sloped ceiling. I've been playing mostly jazz and the heaviest has been Steely Dan.

I did email Bill.

Bob W

Earl K
11-17-2009, 05:39 PM
In retrospect I think that the N1500s are shot and that there would have been a vast improvement by fixing them. However, the GPA crossovers greatly improve the stock 604E sound.

Maybe ,,,

or,,,

Its serendipity at play ( ie; a mismatch in impedance values has created a frequency response curve that's highly listenable ) .

- Either way, it's good that Bill H is aware of this ( he may learn something about peoples listening preferences ) .

rgwalker
11-18-2009, 03:29 AM
Maybe ,,,

or,,,

Its serendipity at play ( ie; a mismatch in impedance values has created a frequency response curve that's highly listenable ) .

- Either way, it's good that Bill H is aware of this ( he may learn something about peoples listening preferences ) .

I think that you've hit it on the head and Bill agrees although he'll concede that it's plausible. According to him they never tried them with 16 ohm speakers and I embarassingly have to admit that I thought that 604Es were 8 ohms when I bought the crossovers. I'm going to get 16 ohm crossovers as soon as they're ready but this may been one of those accidents that shows something unforseen that's cool.

We'll see.

Bob W