PDA

View Full Version : Oppo, country of origin?

midlife
11-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Where's Oppo made? thanks

BMWCCA
11-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Where's Oppo made? thanksChina, like everything else.

Go for the BDP-83SE for the best audio performance. ;)

hjames
11-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Where's Oppo made? thanks

http://www.oppodigital.com/

but Country of Origin isn't listed anywhere I could find ...

midlife
11-14-2009, 11:38 AM
If you get the blue ray OPPO will it play only blue ray?

BMWCCA
11-14-2009, 11:58 AM
If you get the blue ray OPPO will it play only blue ray?What are you looking at?? As far as I can tell, they only make two models currently, the BDP-83 which will play darn-near anything, and the BDP-83 Special Edition which plays the same sources but is optimized for audio output to a stereo system and uses special DACs.

Designed for both home theater viewers and music listeners, it plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD) and standard CD with excellent video and audio performance in addition to Blu-ray Discs.

MikeBrewster77
11-14-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't think there's a single Blu-Ray player made that's not backwards compatible with DVD.

If you go to Oppo's site (Heather provided the link in an earlier post) and read the specifications on the various players, the first point of information listed is compatible disc types.

brutal
11-14-2009, 12:11 PM
It plays everything except HD-DVD

rdgrimes
11-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Oppo Digital is based in Mountain View CA, where all engineering, design, testing and sales take place. It is owned by BBK China, a massive electronics manufacturing conglomerate, who builds the players to Oppo specs. BBK also builds players for other sellers and a large selection of consumer electronics.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83SE/blu-ray-BDP-83SE-Comparison.aspx

The BDP-SE is built for customers who rely on pure analog processing and amplification.

Oppo has no dedicated sales or marketing staff or budgets, and relies solely on word of mouth and limited online/industry advertising. They are wizards at finding the maximum performance in mid-priced hardware. Their primary goals are performance and customer satisfaction. All products come with a 30-day no-questions-asked money back guarantee of satisfaction.

Tom Brennan
11-14-2009, 03:21 PM
You on the payroll Grimes?

hjames
11-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Right - I have the 981 unit, std DVDs plus DVD-A and SACD - I got it on closeout from WOOT and I've been REAL pleased with it.

Didn't TiDome buy one of the Blueray units right after he built his theatre?

Oppo Digital is based in Mountain View CA, where all engineering, design, testing and sales take place. It is owned by BBK China, a massive electronics manufacturing conglomerate, who builds the players to Oppo specs. BBK also builds players for other sellers and a large selection of consumer electronics.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83SE/blu-ray-BDP-83SE-Comparison.aspx

The BDP-SE is built for customers who rely on pure analog processing and amplification.

Oppo has no dedicated sales or marketing staff or budgets, and relies solely on word of mouth and limited online/industry advertising. They are wizards at finding the maximum performance in mid-priced hardware. Their primary goals are performance and customer satisfaction. All products come with a 30-day no-questions-asked money back guarantee of satisfaction.

cohearent
11-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Oppo is an American company but I'm sure most if not all product is made off- shore in the "usual places". I own two of their DVD /"everything" (971 and 981) players and am quite happy with them.

Mr. Widget
11-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Oppo is an American company but I'm sure most if not all product is made off- shore...

Oppo Digital is based in Mountain View CA, where all engineering, design, testing and sales take place. It is owned by BBK China, a massive electronics manufacturing conglomerate, who builds the players to Oppo specs. BBK also builds players for other sellers and a large selection of consumer electronics.I am not so sure BBK builds to Oppo's specs... I think the Oppo offices in Mountain View are simply the sales and engineering offices for their Chinese parent company.

Regardless of who owns who, where they are made etc. The Oppo products have always been an excellent value. The current products priced at $500 and $900 ea. are quite a bit more expensive than the entry and mid level products from Sony, Pioneer and the rest, but these new Oppo players are targeting the high end of the market instead of the entry to mid level where they used to compete.

Widget

Tom Brennan
11-16-2009, 05:40 PM
The Oppos don't stream Netflix and such. I'll be getting a blu-ray machine this Christmas and I'll be buying it more for the ability to stream than the ability to play blu-ray discs. Indeed there are only a handful of pictures I'm interested in out on blu-ray anyway----The Searchers, How the West was Won and the Wizard of Oz are about it. I'm really not interested in watching the latest Brad Pitt picture or latest version of Saw in high def.

Now as more large format pictures from the 50s and 60s come in blu-ray out I'll probably buy them but there weren't that many of those pictures anyway.

jerry_rig
11-16-2009, 07:30 PM
The Oppos don't stream Netflix and such.

AFAIK, only the LG Samsung BD players do this. I picked up the LG BD 390 just for its streaming. So far, I'm happy with the quality of the streaming Netflix content and BD playback. The standard DVD image is not particularly great (though still better than low def streaming). Consequently, I plan to spring for an Oppo for serious listening and BD viewing. That would make the most out of my recent Pioneer Elite Kuro purchase!

Tom Brennan
11-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Sony just came out with a streamer, BDP-N460, sells for $219 at Amazon. I've had good luck with Sony DVD players including my model 995 upscaling 400 disc jukebox, the best toy a movie nut can have.

Mr. Widget
11-17-2009, 09:46 AM
That would make the most out of my recent Pioneer Elite Kuro purchase!Excellent TV... :bouncy:

I use my Tivo HD to stream Netflix... though I still prefer the silver discs for quality and selection.

Widget