PDA

View Full Version : Veneering and Flipping Speakers

dkalsi
11-13-2009, 08:50 AM
All,

I am currently constructing a JBL 4345 clone. Last night, I started the veneering process (utilizing the iron-on + heatlock glue method). I wasn't sure how much larger I should cut the veneer relative to the sub-surface - so I ended up letting the veneer hang 1/2" on all sides. Now, I need to trim this veneer.

I have the following questions:
1) Is one suppose to filp the speaker and then initially tirm with a sharp utility knife? And then router the remaining veneer with a flush bit?
2) Or one is suppose to clamp a board on top (and use it as a backing to initially cut the veneer with a utility knife). This will avoid the need to flip the speaker.

I guess I am just trying to get an idea of how I should proceed with trimming the veneer. There is just no way I can flip these speakers over myself (without damaging the attached veneer that is). How do you guys do it?

saeman
11-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Best way I have found is using a high speed laminate trimmer, like those offered for trimming formica. A high speed router will do the same but they are much heavier and you'll need to move slow and pay close attention.

Clamp a straight edge in line with the desired finished edge and lightly scribe the veneer using a SMALL utility knife. Do not cut thru the veneer. You're trying to scribe the wood portion of the veneer to prevent chipping when you trim with the flush cut bit going cross-grain.

After trimming use a sanding block and finish sand the trimmed edge. Sand only down and away from the direction that would lift the veneer. You might otherwise lift the veneer - but if you do then you didn't use enough glue. The idea is to eliminate any chipping of the new finished edge.

Sand the trimmed edge flush and smooth with the adjacent side. After sanding use a fine flat file and dress the edge so that you can no longer catch the edge with your fingernail. As a finale, take a sanding block with 220 and lightly dress the cabinet corner at a 45 degree angle (LIGHTLY) to knock down the sharp edge. If you don't you will be at risk of snagging this edge with oil cloths during finishing.

Best way to roll a cabinet over is to use a clean piece of cardboard under it. Blankets can snag veneer but they slide well on cardboard.

Hope this helps.

Rick

jblsound
11-13-2009, 05:36 PM
You can use special trim cutters made for veneer that controls the depth of the cut. Should be able to buy where ever they sell roll veneer. I've had one for years.