PDA

View Full Version : Initial guidance for long term DIY

aardvarcus
11-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I am planning a long term DIY project. By long term I mean I am going to plan for a while before I start to buy anything(over a year minimum), but at the same time I am going to look out for deals that come up and start collecting parts.

Even before I do that though, I need to gain some more knowledge. My plan for the speakers- Make three speakers (L, C, R) for the fronts of my home theatre. I'm the kind of person that if I make a set of speakers I will never make another set ever, so these need to last me a long time. My basic plan is to take the best design ideas from some of the classic JBLs and combine them into one speaker set.

I realize there is a fair chance that taking great seperate design ideas and combining them doesn't mean that the end result will be great. That is why I need to gain some knowledge about the theory behind why JBL did what they did, like the curved front on the paragon, when to use what horns, ect. So finally I ask my question: What recources would be good for me to study? I am a Senior electrical engineering student, and I am good at cabinetry, tools, ect. I just need to know the most informative sites, books, ect. to help me complete this project. Thanks in advance.

duaneage
11-12-2009, 07:26 PM
It helps to have a real plan on what you are trying to achieve.

For HT several small speakers with a subwoofer using the same drivers yields a systems that is simple to make, tune and calibrate.

For enhanced 2 channel stereo the sky is the limit and the size of your room and budget dictates what you build.

Your post leaves much to be desired, like what music you like and how you play it, previous systems, etc.

Might be best to elaborate more on what you like and dislike in systems and any JBL offerings you happen to admire. I like the studio monitors and favor systems with 12 inch woofers. I don't care for the ancient systems and don't do live shows and such.

aardvarcus
11-13-2009, 01:35 PM
It helps to have a real plan on what you are trying to achieve.

For HT several small speakers with a subwoofer using the same drivers yields a systems that is simple to make, tune and calibrate.

For enhanced 2 channel stereo the sky is the limit and the size of your room and budget dictates what you build.

Your post leaves much to be desired, like what music you like and how you play it, previous systems, etc.

Might be best to elaborate more on what you like and dislike in systems and any JBL offerings you happen to admire. I like the studio monitors and favor systems with 12 inch woofers. I don't care for the ancient systems and don't do live shows and such.

This system will be more for 2 channel stereo than for HT, though it will probably end up being used for the fronts in my HT as well. I like hard rock music fairly loud, but not extremely loud, but I listen to other music as well. My favorite speakers are my 4311b's with my L-100's(not A's) in a close second. My dad has two pair of Altec Valencias (basically VOTT's), but I don't like their sound quite as much. What I don't like about my current JBL speakers is they don't "fill the room with sound" if that makes any sense. I turn on all four when listening to music , but even then there are big differences in sound when standing directly in their path vs standing several feet to the side. I would rather have speakers that "dispersed" music into the room. I have never really had the opportunity to listen to a whole lot of other speakers of any quality, as most people I know own boom boxes or something like that. I am impressed with the designs of the fancier JBL speakers, like the bi-radial horns or slot tweeters, that look like they would spread the music out better, but unfortunately have never heard them.

Also, if I am going to build something, it needs to be a work of art. Of course, sounding good is more important, but I don't want to stamp my name on something unless it is my best effort.

I literally have thousands of questions, but I was really hoping someone could recommend me a book or online article so I can build up my knowledge base so I can ask fewer, better educated questions.

badman
11-13-2009, 01:42 PM
This system will be more for 2 channel stereo than for HT, though it will probably end up being used for the fronts in my HT as well. I like hard rock music fairly loud, but not extremely loud, but I listen to other music as well. My favorite speakers are my 4311b's with my L-100's(not A's) in a close second. My dad has two pair of Altec Valencias (basically VOTT's), but I don't like their sound quite as much. What I don't like about my current JBL speakers is they don't "fill the room with sound" if that makes any sense. I turn on all four when listening to music , but even then there are big differences in sound when standing directly in their path vs standing several feet to the side. I would rather have speakers that "dispersed" music into the room. I have never really had the opportunity to listen to a whole lot of other speakers of any quality, as most people I know own boom boxes or something like that. I am impressed with the designs of the fancier JBL speakers, like the bi-radial horns or slot tweeters, that look like they would spread the music out better, but unfortunately have never heard them.

Also, if I am going to build something, it needs to be a work of art. Of course, sounding good is more important, but I don't want to stamp my name on something unless it is my best effort.

I literally have thousands of questions, but I was really hoping someone could recommend me a book or online article so I can build up my knowledge base so I can ask fewer, better educated questions.

Ask and ye shall receive

www.musicanddesign.com
www.linkwitzlab.com

www.madisound.com sells the loudspeaker design cookbook which is an excellent beginner's resource. Geddes (www.gedlee.com) has some texts with pretty good info too, and floyd toole's work is always good reading.

duaneage
11-13-2009, 02:33 PM

Consider the 4435 and the 4430 systems. THey have biradial horns and high efficiency. Not the cheapest but not as rare or pricey as some other models,

Robh3606
11-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Hello

Take your time, read as much as you can and most importantly try and find some of the systems you are interested in and have a listen. If you really are looking to build up only one set you really owe it to yourself to do some auditioning. You may find what "sounds" good conceptually is not to your liking.

Rob:)

jcrobso
11-13-2009, 02:48 PM
How big is your room? Room size and shape can play a big part.
The monitor speakers that you have are designed to have a sweet spot, HT is set up with a sweet spot or main listening area.
You could just get one more 4311 to use as a center and add a powered sub woofer.
There are a lot of options, do you want BIG speakers or ones more on the order of the 4311?
Take sometime and browse the DIY forum, over the years there has been many interesting projects posted here.
If you have more questions please ask them!!;)

aardvarcus
11-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Ask and ye shall receive

www.musicanddesign.com (http://www.musicanddesign.com)
www.linkwitzlab.com (http://www.linkwitzlab.com)

www.madisound.com (http://www.madisound.com) sells the loudspeaker design cookbook which is an excellent beginner's resource. Geddes (www.gedlee.com (http://www.gedlee.com)) has some texts with pretty good info too, and floyd toole's work is always good reading.

Thanks, I have already started diving into all this info. Does it matter what edition of the loudspeaker design cookbook I get? The reason I ask is that I can get an older edition of amazon used much cheaper ($20 for the 6th, $15 for the fifth.)

aardvarcus
11-13-2009, 05:52 PM
How big is your room? Room size and shape can play a big part.
The monitor speakers that you have are designed to have a sweet spot, HT is set up with a sweet spot or main listening area.
You could just get one more 4311 to use as a center and add a powered sub woofer.
There are a lot of options, do you want BIG speakers or ones more on the order of the 4311?
Take sometime and browse the DIY forum, over the years there has been many interesting projects posted here.
If you have more questions please ask them!!;)

My current room is not that great, but when I build my house (next year or two), I will have a better approx 19 * 13 *8 room (specific dimensions based off of ideal audio dimensions). I have also been building acoustical treatment like absorbers and diffusers to help as a stopgap solution. I was going to just get another couple of 4311s, but I have always wanted to build my own. I want "big" speakers, larger than 4311s, but not gigantic. Ideally, I would like the speaker built in several separate boxes like a woofer box, midrange box, and tweeter box so they can fit in my car, but I am not sure if that is practical yet.

Mr. Widget
11-14-2009, 05:50 AM
That is why I need to gain some knowledge about the theory behind why JBL did what they did, like the curved front on the paragon, when to use what horns, ect. So finally I ask my question: What recources would be good for me to study? I am a Senior electrical engineering student, and I am good at cabinetry, tools, ect. I just need to know the most informative sites, books, ect. to help me complete this project. Thanks in advance.Back up. If you want to set your goals as high as it seems you do, take a year or more to study the fundamentals, then you will be able to put the more practical information available on this site and others into perspective and be better at sifting through it all.

Start here:

Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms by Floyd Toole

Master Handbook of Acoustics by F. Alton Everest.

How to Build Speaker Enclosures by Alex Badmaieff and Don Davis

Some useful and practical info for use with specific JBL woofers and excellent general info on page two and three:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/manuals/enclgde.pdf

Many of us have built our ultimate statement speakers a number of times over the years as we have learned more and also been in positions to buy better parts. I'd suggest you look at this more as a journey than a destination... but even if you simply follow the directions of a particular thread here or one on another site, if you learn the fundamentals first, you'll be miles ahead.

Widget

macaroonie
11-14-2009, 08:54 AM
As far as I am concerned you are in the best possible resource available ie this forum. There is a goldmine of info posted here , probably better than any cookbook as it is pretty much all JBL specific.
What you need to do most of all is to learn to use the search function effectively and read read read. Gradually you will get a handle on how the JBL systems work and the intentions of the designers , and from that you will know better what questions to ask.
Have fun and good luck.

May I recommend that you read this ....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17238&highlight=backyard+box+building+build ....... you may well get some inspiration.

DavidF
11-14-2009, 03:00 PM
"... I'm the kind of person that if I make a set of speakers I will never make another set ever, so these need to last me a long time. ..".

You know, you may be unique in that regard amongst this body of DIY'ers.

jcrobso
11-17-2009, 10:52 AM
You know, you may be unique in that regard amongst this body of DIY'ers.

BUT, I'm stating to get that itch again.:bouncy:

aardvarcus
11-24-2009, 03:11 PM
After thinking it over, I am just going to use 43xx or L-100's to finish out my HT, nothing like having them all match accoustically. However, I still want to build two DIY mains for my greatroom. Only problem, they are not allowed on the floor in our new house (wife orders) and are delegated to the space I have reserved for them. My ceiling is cathedral, but I have capped the ceilings over my bathroom and utility room to 10' like the exterior walls, so I am left with a few nice 4' by 9' spaces to put speakers, provided they aren't to tall to get in the way of the ceiling, and not to heavy to lift up there. I am considering building each part in a seperarate box for ease of moving up and down (hopefully not too many times.) How can I fill the room with sound from these less than ideal positions? With no accoustical treatment and loads of reflective bright surfaces, I know my room will be very bright. I have put some CAD plans attached so you can tell what I am talking about.