PDA

View Full Version : Brand recognition

MikeBrewster77
11-08-2009, 01:05 AM
I know this has been lamented/discussed ad nauseum here, but...

Tonite was a revealing (albeit completely unplanned) experiment for me. I wore one of my JBL logo shirts to a local bar this evening. No less than 5 people asked me what JBL stood for/was. One asked me if I was a wrestling fan. Luckily, no one asked about enemas... :barf: A friend that works at Best Buy remarked that she knew of JBL because she "sells their iPod docking stations."

Only one person actually knew of JBL in terms of loudspeakers, and asked me if I worked there because he wanted to see if I could get him a discount - certainly a dream job, but sadly, no :(.

Less that 20% brand recognition? Granted, a completely anecdotal "study" within a select demographic, but hardly promising nonetheless.

As someone who owns "newer" JBL's this is extremely frustrating because they are still (perhaps even more so) a truly competitive force to be reckoned with. I just wish more people knew... :banghead:

P.S., to add injury to insult, the bar in question has a truly shitty array of EV speakers that - in comparison to what I'm used to - is torture to listen to. :crying:

Maron Horonzakz
11-08-2009, 07:46 AM
You can blame JBL marketing for that,,, I have,nt seen a JBL AD for the last 15 years

JBLAddict
11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
so unfortunate and so frustrating. anytime I enter an audio discussion outside this or the avs JBL forum, have to proceed with caution as again, unfortunately, mentioning JBL ruins one's "credibility" as one who appreciates fine audio, in which case you have to launch into this lengthy justification of what the brand once represented in the US, what happened to them in the past 20yrs, and that there is still an amazing line of product basically unavailable save for Japan, Europe. You have to make the association with Harmon Intl, Mark Levinson, Revel, to gain back any credibility, and I cannot tell you how many times people look at you shocked once you recount the history of the company, and the fact that they do indeed make a 66K pair of home loudspeakers!!! recall TiD's carrying his PT800s into Magnolia and "Chip" and the gang's wonderment of the speaker with the "metal cones"

all of this is why is was SO REFRESHING being in Japan where JBL is revered. I was able to find the Everest and K2 for listening in Akihabara....by asking a POLICE OFFICER ON THE STREET, think for a second that a random policeman was able to tell a foreigner on the street which store, among literally 10K in that electronics megadistrict, where to fine the TOL JBL!!!! Consider the other American I was with on that trip, couldn't understand why I wanted to waste a free day in Japan hunting down a JBL speaker....until of course he heard the Everest and 4338 himself and was completely blown away....

Here you walk into a bar with a JBL logo'd shirt and nada.......grrrrrrhhhh

louped garouv
11-08-2009, 01:06 PM
i, on the other hand, was out recently....

met someone i know fairly well from the local forums...

and we were discussing how we were both bummed that we missed the JBL demo trailer at RMAF.....

while listening to a "smaller" Funktion One system...

(which was nice BTW, very reminiscent of older (70/80s maybe) generation PA
box designs -- but substantially overbuilt, which seemed to be a good thing)

Maron Horonzakz
11-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Yes get into brand recognition,,and ask who is JBL and who is BOSE,,And see what you get back as an answere,,,,Somebody needs to kick JBL marketing in the ass and wake them up.

4313B
11-08-2009, 03:55 PM
I suspect that JBL will start advertising when they come up with a system made in another country and priced to sell at Walmart.

SEAWOLF97
11-08-2009, 04:10 PM
When many people ask me .."What brand speakers do you like ??"

and I answer "JBL"

most say "Oh, I remember those from the 70's ..they had cool grills ..didnt know they were still around"

OR

"I thought JBL's were re-badged CerwinVega's"

OR

"Yeah, baby ...I've got a JBL center (or surrounds) in my HT "

and then ..well......I really dont care anymore....:blink:

"Go Buy your damned Bose and reap the benefits of being a gullible ASM
(ad slurping moron)." :barf:

At least the old JBL ads were fairly honest...

Doc Mark
11-08-2009, 04:35 PM
When many people ask me .."What brand speakers do you like ??"

and I answer "JBL"

most say "Oh, I remember those from the 70's ..they had cool grills ..didnt know they were still around"

OR

"I thought JBL's were re-badged CerwinVega's"

OR

"Yeah, baby ...I've got a JBL center (or surrounds) in my HT "

and then ..well......I really dont care anymore....:blink:

"Go Buy your damned Bose and reap the benefits of being a gullible ASM
(ad slurping moron)." :barf:

At least the old JBL ads were fairly honest...

Hey, SeaWolf,

Your post made me laugh out loud!! "ASM", indeed!! But, the sad thing is that, today, most all things are marketed to those same folks, and they seem to fall for it, every time..... go figure! I'm honored to hang out (in cyberspace) with a bunch of JBL Lovers, who cherish what JBL used to be, what they are today, and what they can be tomorrow!! HUZZAH!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. Some of you may remember last Christmas, when Sweet Bride's Mom came up for Christmas, as she always does. She thought our L300's were lovely. HUGE, but lovely. Then, when I tried to play them for her, she ran from the room, screaming something like, "Too Loud"!! Of course, they weren't, and we could easily talk whilst the music was playing. Later, when she wanted to watch some movies, we played them through the JBL's and she was amazed and definitely impressed with their level of detail, and their ability to make it sound as if "you were really there"!! YEA!!

She had told me that her Sister, Sweet Bride's Aunt, had just gotten a wonderful Bose system and was very happy with it! I told her the story of Bose, and of their shortcomings, during which time, she gave me the "disbelieving squint" look. After having heard our L300's with some of her favorite war films, she said to me, "Please don't tell my Sister about your speakers. I don't want her to feel bad about hers". That pretty much says it all, doesn't it, Folks?!! :applaud::applaud::bouncy::bouncy:

Mom is already looking forward to watching more movies this Christmas, and being able to enjoy our L300's, once again! Oh, and when I played her favorite Andrea Bocelli CD's for her last year, she asked me to turn up the sound!! Score another JBL fan, even if she will probably never own a pair for herself! ;):D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

wu6fiend
11-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I wholeheartedly agree: whomever is in charge at JBL marketing should be tossed out on his ---. There was a time (not so long ago), that JBL was THE speaker of choice. Now its a maker of iPod headphones and docking stations. Very sad indeed. That virtually all of their high quality consumer product is only available in Europe and Japan is a crying shame. I remember buying my first pair of JBL's in 1988 (the L60T at $800 a pair was the maximum I could afford as a university student), and auditioning them in a sound room at a huge stereo store. Surrounded by JBL's, with a huge lighted JBL logo on the wall -- nirvana! Now you are lucky to find their wares in the corner of Best Buy, marked down for clearance.

I couldn't find a local retailer, so I had to buy the entire Studio L Series via eBay. Very glad I did, but would venture a guess that comparatively few consumers would go to the time and trouble, particularly when Klipsch, Polk etc. are so readily available. Wake up, JBL!!!

AmericanPie
11-08-2009, 09:08 PM
When I was coming of age living in the midwest circa late 1960s-early '70s I would say virtually ALL my friends who were into audio knew what JBL was and respected the name. Most of them lusted after a pair of L100s or L200s, or at least a pair of Decades for their dorm rooms.

I just can't believe there's no longer a market for high quality JBLs on this continent. Maybe it's very limited for ones that cost $60K+, but certainly not for speakers around $2-5K which would be about equivalent to most vintage JBLs prices in today's dollars. :biting:

11-08-2009, 10:56 PM
I suspect that JBL will start advertising when they come up with a system made in another country and priced to sell at Walmart.

Haven't they done that once or twice already? OK, BB or Fry's then?

BMWCCA
11-09-2009, 09:19 AM

Which will ensure JBL the same name-recognition enjoyed by famous brands such as Durabrand, Dr Thunder, Faded Glory, and Special Kitty.

I know you all don't want just name recognition. You want the brand identity to bespeak the brand image you hold for JBL. It's a high goal. Porsche is often considered to be one of the most-recognized brands in the world associated with quality products. I'm thinking ownership by VW may even strengthen that position and further define Porsche to reflect the original values before the Cayenne and Panamera. The world's top brands are more often ranked by stock value, with Coke always #1. I don't want JBL to have the recognition of Coke, but it would be nice if it had the connotation of quality that Porsche enjoys.

In a recent survey of brand-name recognition among the top 10% income earners in America, in home entertainment equipment, Sony was dominant and no other name came close enough to even get a mention. "This information is based on a national survey of 346 men and women in the wealthiest 10% of American households. The survey participants have an average income of $369,000 and an average net worth of $2.7 million."

That's sad. Maybe there's a way to control for "old money" versus the nouveau-riche. ;)

Titanium Dome
11-09-2009, 10:11 AM
That survey just reinforces that money and class are not the same thing. The best they can list is Sony? :biting:

4313B
11-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I don't want JBL to have the recognition of Coke, but it would be nice if it had the connotation of quality that Porsche enjoys.It did back in the day. Times change. I've said it before - no one really cares. It's no big deal. If it really mattered then JBL would advertise. Obviously they're content with doing what they're doing.

I just can't believe there's no longer a market for high quality JBLs on this continent. Maybe it's very limited for ones that cost $60K+, but certainly not for speakers around $2-5K which would be about equivalent to most vintage JBLs prices in today's dollars. :biting:If I'm not mistaken there is talk about redefining the poverty level and if so it would increase the number of people considered living in poverty. In any case, I'm not too sure the requisite disposable income is there anymore. And if it is, then I would guess that it is targeted at other types of products.

Titanium Dome
11-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Whatever sins Harman International has committed vis a vis JBL are not as bad as the sins against Citation or Audax to name two plundered and abandoned brands. Yet I cannot help but comment on the amazing synergy brought to JBL by its Harman association. Despite poor marketplace presence and abysmal marketing, the brand is broader and deeper than ever.

I just spent a feature day at AV Designs in Torrance, CA in their multimillion dollar suite of listening rooms and home theater rooms. There were two Revel rooms (which deserve a separate thread, I think), Sonus Faber room, Martin Logan Room, Boston Room, McIntosh rooms, etc. They bill themselves as the premiere AV Design company in soCal. Heck, even Kevin Voecks and Carroll Shelby were on the guest list.

I wore a JBL shirt under my vest and jacket, and when regularly queried about "What system do you have?" I'd respond JBL Synthesis® and expose my breast (not THAT breast, my shirt breast).

Bear in mind these guys and their fawning attendees want to sell complete McIntosh systems or Mac/ML systems, or Mac/Revel systems, etc. But when I said "Synthesis One Array" the usual response was, "Oh, wow, really?" or words to that effect. "I'd love to hear that."

Now it's true that it's a special system, but a good deal of its specialness comes from the synergy of its BSS Audio, Lexicon, and JBL parts, plus the DACS system and the ATI amps. Without the reach of Harman to bring all that together and make it possible for JBL to create the highly integrated system that is Synthesis®, it would just be another collection of very nice equipment rather than a real system.

So, at least in the context of my Saturday, everyone knew and respected the JBL name, at least when coupled with the Synthesis® brand. I was heartened by this and my recent trip to Todd-AO to see the JBL name still regarded so well.

At the same time, I will agree that consumer marketing is awful and that consumer product awareness is poor. Yet, all the heavy duty car tweakers are JBL savvy, and SR folks and musicians are still buying tons of JBL Pro gear.

Ducatista47
11-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Yet, all the heavy duty car tweakers are JBL savvy, and SR folks and musicians are still buying tons of JBL Pro gear.
As they should. I have been at a ton of live events the last few years, and all the louder gigs were painful to hear except one a couple of months ago. It was the only one using JBL SR speakers. The DJ at the wedding reception in Milwaukee did not know what model they were, and we could not find a model number on them either. It was only two funny shaped, modestly sized speakers on stands, but they filled a huge hotel ballroom with loud yet distortion free sound.

If I had the choice, I would turn around and walk out of any venue when I see the usual Peavy or Yamaha. It always sounds terrible. A big Electro Voice (I think) concert hall system I heard in St Louis was awful. It could not handle bass at all.

Clark

JBLAddict
11-10-2009, 12:06 AM
There were two Revel rooms (which deserve a separate thread, I think)

pls consider starting such a thread if allowed by moderation, the Gen Product Section needs some new life....

Titanium Dome
11-10-2009, 11:51 PM
pls consider starting such a thread if allowed by moderation, the Gen Product Section needs some new life....

I reactivated this thread:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12290

Ethan Masterson
11-11-2009, 04:53 PM
i, on the other hand, was out recently....

met someone i know fairly well from the local forums...

and we were discussing how we were both bummed that we missed the JBL demo trailer at RMAF.....

hey there, i think i know this guy! hehe ;)

At the same time, I will agree that consumer marketing is awful and that consumer product awareness is poor. Yet, all the heavy duty car tweakers are JBL savvy, and SR folks and musicians are still buying tons of JBL Pro gear.

the car audio and the SR sectors are doing nice strong business. other than that i honestly think the japanese market is keeping that high end sector of the business afloat.

Hm, what can one say about harman consumer group. I can't say too much about my personal experiences here. :)

I can theorize though. Maybe it's a marketing problem, but it could also be an r&d problem, or a supply chain problem. Really hard to say from the outside. What's certain is that the big nationwide chains aren't really keeping the middle to entry range of jbl product in stock nowadays.

I see so often on this forum people saying that JBL should have product all over the place. The problem is that someone has to convince dealers to buy that product and keep it in stock. Then once the dealer is convinced to keep something in stock they have to be able to pay for it. Low margins and low prices rule the roost here, see the awesome Dr. Thunder statement above for where that road leads. So Everest level product in a retail store in the US? Get real. Even performance level product is a long shot.

Middle to upper range stuff is handled in the US typically by contractors who go in and install into someone's home. In that respect, JBL Syn is quite successful in adapting to the US market and getting product into the right folk's hands.

Look at population density in the US compared to Japan. A wealthy person who lives in a spacious highrise in Tokyo would find it quite easy to take a walk to go listen to some nice and expensive speakers. Meanwhile someone in the US with that kind of money is more likely to have one or two homes in the boonies, and the wherewithal to hire a personal assistant to go out and get him the best of everything.

So is loading up retailers with a bunch of product the best idea? Especially if the product they have can't be profitable, or hit the right price points, or any of a million reasons they wouldn't want to load 'em up. From what I can tell the new ES series hits a slightly higher price point than the Northridge stuff used to hit. Mabye HCG just decided to abandon that lower price point because it made them $00 at the end of the day?