PDA

View Full Version : EON buying advise

Hamilton
11-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting an EON system for our band, a low volume three piece group. I need advice on which way to go shopping :

1. (2) EON 515s
or
2. (2) EON 510s with the 518 sub
or
3. (2) EON 515s with the 518 sub

I think #3 would be over-kill, but if the fedelity is that much better, then that would be ok. Choice #2 seems to be the most practical.

What'cha think?

Thanks.

BMWCCA
11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Have you considered the equivalent Mackie systems? A friend I work with on S/R jobs has two smaller systems using Mackie powered monitors and subs—one pole-mounted like the EON, and another with twin 18" in the subs and towers on top—and he much prefers the Mackies' sound to the JBLs he's worked with. Just a thought and they may even be cheaper.

:dont-know

Hamilton
11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Hey Phil,

Yep, I saw the Mackies. But maybe I need to get off of "name brand buying", I was going to buy JBL without even listening to anything else...too much trust, maybe.

However, this store does carry both brands so an A/B would be easy. In fact, Mackie was the first thing they suggested.

The loyalist,
Hambone

BMWCCA
11-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I was going to buy JBL without even listening to anything else...too much trust, maybe. I'm sure the JBLs are fine and I've never even heard a good system with them. It doesn't bother me to be wearing my "JBL Professional" T-shirt almost every time I'm setting up the Mackie systems. Or, perhaps worse yet, whenever we stage the big system which is Klipsch Professional gear of a configuration I've never seen anywhere else and has long-since become discontinued. It works though. I give most of the credit to the five Crown Macro-Techs. ;)

jcrobso
11-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Hey Phil,

Yep, I saw the Mackies. But maybe I need to get off of "name brand buying", I was going to buy JBL without even listening to anything else...too much trust, maybe.

However, this store does carry both brands so an A/B would be easy. In fact, Mackie was the first thing they suggested.

The loyalist,
Hambone

I hope lighting does not strike me:shock:, but the Mackie's are good speakers.
I have also used the JBL EONs, but I have never had a chance to A_B the two. Let us know what you think!