PDA

View Full Version : Another L300 Theater

travis5049
11-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Hope I added these photos right...........These are l300's that are now doing duty as my front channels on my home theater. That's a 65" Mitsubishi HD in the middle. The surround back left and right are old Bose alpha a2's I think they made these before there were 501's. A friend was throwing them out ( he didn't know you could recone them), Behind the Screen is a 501 that I use for a center channel that I picked up at a pawn shop. I have it positioned at the bottom of the TV stand an just turn the center channel up a bit. The whole shooting match is driven by a pioneer 7.1 surround that maxes out at about 90watts a channel. Its 10 years old and last year started giving me issues when I really crank on it....powers itself down. Nice base all around, I am going to add a JBL powered sub this year though. Reconditioning the l300's is my next project new veneer and bases, I've already ordered the grills.

Doc Mark
11-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Hey, Travis,

Thanks for sharing your setup with us. What do you have in those L300's for woofers? Those appear to be sound reinforcement woofers, instead of the ones that belong in there. I'd like to hear more about your JBL's, if you'd care to share that info. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Dco (who's off to church!)

travis5049
11-01-2009, 08:33 PM
The guy who re coned these in Houston some years ago didn't have the proper re coning kit and used what you see. I used these for years doing mobile DJ work not knowing what I had so they got a bit beat up. We moved to New Braunfels about 10 years ago from the Houston area and I acquired the Bose speakers that I use for the surrounds. Took the Bose woofers to Austin reconing and knowing that I had the wrong kit on my JBL's inquired if he had any experience reconing the L300's. His eyes opened wide and he asked if I would sell them. I said no, we chatted for hours and at the time there was a pair on ebay with a bid of around 4800.00 that he said I should check out. Thats when I started studying.......... I work as a network security consultant now but still DJ partys for fun,( rent my speakers), had the Peavey rebuilt and now have a Behringer BCD3000 mixing board to replace the old analog turntable mixer.

We filled an amphitheater with 600 people and rattled the windows with a 110 watt amp,DJ'ing a NASA party right after a succesful Shuttle landing one year back in the 90's........thats when I thought that these might be special. Later I bought a peavey cs800 amp and watched these speakers try to walk off the harwood floor stage while clipping the Amp at another NASA party.

All the partys took there toll on the MDF bases and my grandfather who had a wood working shop helped me glue on pine bases. He's gone now but thats a great memory of us spending time together.

I have my grandmother and grandfathers Maple hutch and matching leaf dining table that I'm going to start work on right after I finish reconditioning the L300's.

The tech in Austin said that I should update the circuit boards with some new capacitors? The conversation was several months ago and I may be misquoting him. But in any case he said that he'd be glad to recone these with the proper kit and update the circuits. What model drivers should be in these? He said that we could recone these and upgrade the boards and had better mounting pins for the grills for around 500.00 US, a speaker.

BMWCCA
11-01-2009, 08:47 PM
What model drivers should be in these?Before you go any further, I'd suggest pulling the woofers and seeing what the baskets are, or were before they were re-coned. There should be a label on the magnet structure. That's where I'd start, then you'll have a better idea of what your options are. :dont-know

Doc Mark
11-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Travis,

I agree with BMWCC, completely. You need to know where you're starting from, before you can do anything, at all. Then, once you have a good idea what, exactly, you have, you can proceed in the right direction, and do the right things, without wasting time and money, neither of which we all have in surplus, these days! Let us know what your woofer baskets are, and also what horn drivers are behind the horns, and we can go from where, with some proper advice for you. You have a huge job ahead of you, refurbishing those old L300's, as they've seen some hard roads and been put away wet, a time or ten. But, never fear, the basics are there, and with lots of work and sweat equity, plus some wisely spent coin, they can function and look like new! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (Who loves his own L300's!)

robertbartsch
11-02-2009, 05:36 AM
I suspect the time for reconing the woofers with factory kits is running very low since JBL has decided not to continue making lagacy recone/diaphragm kits.

While your at it, you should pull the covers from the compression drivers and slots to see if your dealing with factory frams.

jcrobso
11-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Also you need to get the lens for the horns.
Let us know what you find on the inside>

Krunchy
11-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Like your set up Doc, very nice! :applaud:

travis5049
11-02-2009, 05:45 PM
drivers say model 136a........you guys piqued my curiosity

Mr. Widget
11-02-2009, 05:59 PM
drivers say model 136a........you guys piqued my curiosityThat's a good starting point, but I agree with jcrobso, I think they are very likely K140 or E140 cones in the 136A baskets. The proper recone kits are no longer made, they have been superseded by an improved version. I would recommend you have these woofers remagnetized and reconed with 2235H cone kits. It will cost you around $500 for the pair, but you'll be glad you did.

Widget

Krunchy
11-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I would recommend you have these woofers remagnetized and reconed with 2235H cone kits. It will cost you around $500 for the pair, but you'll be glad you did.Widget

Thats probably an understatement on Mr. Widgets behalf Travis. I actually like the fact that they are well worn, achieving that kind of a "Patina" takes time :D
Five Hundred might seem like a lot but you'll get huge dividends for sure. Have fun & post some pictures if & when you get them back (you'll be thinking about this tonight in your sleep me thinks) ;)

travis5049
11-02-2009, 06:53 PM
The guy in Austin quoted me a ballpark figure of around 500-600 each..........really can't wait to hear them when I get them right again. A new onkyo surround amp is about to replace the old pioneer. Remagnatized?

travis5049
11-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I have the lenses also, but one is partially broken going to try and order the wood ones that I saw on this site in a previous forum and the grills are being put together now. Should i just cover over the existing veneer? I'll take some side shots and show you guys.............there just chipped on the edges

Krunchy
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
The guy in Austin quoted me a ballpark figure of around 500-600 each..........

You may want to shop around...

It will cost you around $500 for the pair, but you'll be glad you did.Widget

Should i just cover over the existing veneer? I'll take some side shots and show you guys.............there just chipped on the edges
You mean put new veneer over the existing???

There are many extremely knowledgable woodworkers/cabinet craftsmen here & I am sure they will be happy to give you some suggestions. Will you be doing the work yourself or sending it out, it is quite the undertaking especially with the rounded edgest but the L300s are certainly worth it.

Mr. Widget
11-02-2009, 07:46 PM
A new onkyo surround amp is about to replace the old pioneer.I am extremely familiar with those, they are an excellent choice for a HT system on a budget, but if you are after a two channel rig, I highly recommend you avoid all surround receivers.

Remagnatized?Absolutely!

Your L300s came with alnico 136As. Even though the cones have been changed, the motor structures are original.

Read this: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=37039

Widget

travis5049
11-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Was going to veneer these myself and was reading an article that said in a lot of instances with smaill chips its just easier to veneer right over the top of the existing.

Krunchy
11-03-2009, 05:34 AM
Travis, take a look at macaroonie's thread "Backyard Box build, The Build" in the DIY section, Im on my way out & dont have time to link it (that thread should probably have been made into a sticky ;);)).
The veneer section will be of particular interest to you, I refer to it quite a bit.

Later!

E D I T:
Found it, "BACKYARD BOX BUILDING - THE BUILD" along with Richluvsound's relevant thread, lots of good reading in there, enjoy.
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17238

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24773

Doc Mark
11-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Like your set up Doc, very nice! :applaud:

Morning, Krunchy,

Many thanks! I lusted after a pair of L300's from the first time that I heard them, back in the "starving musician" days, and it's with great satisfaction that Sweet Bride and I own a lovely pair of them today. Ours have 2235H's in them, and we think they are the cat's pajamas! Since I took that photo, I've removed the 4411's, and will be using them someplace else in the house, and we have a 4645 (w/2242H) ready to be added in, for movies and DVD's, when I get time to suss out a hum in our system. But, the L300's remain a much-loved set of speakers, for us, and we hope to never have to part with them! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. the electronics are, mostly, from Harman Kardon....older stuff, but not too much older! ;):D

Triumph Don
11-03-2009, 09:08 AM
when I get time to suss out a hum in our system

Doc,
Check out this from PS Audio:

http://dealers.psaudio.com/account/humbusters.asp

Doc Mark
11-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey, TD,

Thanks, very much! That's, basically, what Bo told me to do, but I haven't had time to get behind the cabinet, label all the connections, unplug everything, and start to suss it out. I really appreciate your suggestion, and as it backs up what Bo said to do, I'm sure that, once I get the time to do as recommended, I'll definitely find the problem gear. I'll post a report, as soon as I have something to share, either positive, or negative news. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

robertbartsch
11-05-2009, 07:49 AM
I have a top end Onkyo 7.1 receiver and I do not like it. Aside from being hard to balance the system, it produces enough heat to keep the entire room toastie warm during cold nights and hot as hell in the summer. In addition, it is not conservatively rated in terms of power IMO.

I think a Denon receiver would be a better choice (I have two).

robertbartsch
11-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Did I mention the intermitant loud popping noise with big Onkyo receivers? Apparently, it is a widely known defect that is annoying as hell.

hjames
11-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Did I mention the intermittent loud popping noise with big Onkyo receivers? Apparently, it is a widely known defect that is annoying as hell.

Annoying? Hell, that kinda noise would get it sold or tossed from here!

4313B
11-05-2009, 03:49 PM
There are some things a pig just won't do and Oinkyo is one of them...

Mr. Widget
11-05-2009, 04:06 PM
There are some things a pig just won't do and Oinkyo is one of them...Is there a lipstick reference in there somewhere?

Widget

travis5049
11-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Glad I mentioned the onkyo..........the pioneer has been awesome but its old,like me but the l3's are part of my HT so its going to be a search for a surround under 2000.00. I'm supposed to pick up the grills in another week and the we'll pull the drivers and send them off to be redone. Also we're going skiing Dec. 4th and xmas is coming so I can only spend a little at a time.The pioneer HT will stay till it fails completely more than likely.

Progneta
11-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I thought onkyo had a good pr886 preamp / processor. You can get it for about 1500.00 now. They have the next gen coming soo... 5507 or something like that with prologic IIz preamps, all balanced line outs

Onkyo pro preamps are nice, but no built in amps so if you have 7.1 you will need a sloth of amplifiers. :)

Mr. Widget
11-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Onkyo pro preamps are nice, but no built in amps so if you have 7.1 you will need a sloth of amplifiers. :)They are nice... essentially the same as the Integra Processors. I have the Integra DTC 9.8 which is now two generations back, but it sounds essentially the same as the current model. For HT you probably don't need anything better, in fact Kal Rubinson of Stereophile's Music in the Round, uses one in his "lesser" system and generally is full of praise for it.

Widget

Progneta
11-06-2009, 04:46 PM
They are nice... essentially the same as the Integra Processors. I have the Integra DTC 9.8 which is now two generations back, but it sounds essentially the same as the current model. For HT you probably don't need anything better, in fact Kal Rubinson of Stereophile's Music in the Round, uses one in his "lesser" system and generally is full of praise for it.

Widget

I have never heard the amplifiers in Oknyo units. I used to use the amplifiers for my 604's from a yamaha rx-v663 and it sounded decent for an all in one box. I now use the 663 as my preamp/processor for 7.1 and take the preouts to several crown and McIntosh amps...that sounds good! :)

One of these days Ill upgrade to a 7.1 preamp / processor...one day

jerry_rig
11-06-2009, 07:19 PM
If you are thinking about a "higher end" surround receiver, I would recommend Denon's AVR-5308Cl. It is rated at 150W x 7 and has a very clean preamp. It has stereo sub line outs that I feed into a dedicated amp connected to the 2235s in my setup.

The next best thing, IMO, are the top-line Marantz AV units, utilizing a separate preamp and power amp.

Good luck!

JBL 4645
11-12-2009, 03:37 AM
Is this taking the piss or what? I mean look at those poor JBL all banged up! Dust caps dented in the sides looked like dog had been chewing on them. I mean this is brutal JBL abuse.:D

travis5049
11-12-2009, 06:03 AM
You're right, I should be severely punished........:banghead:

Doc Mark
11-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Hey, Travis,

No, you should be commended, for trying to resurrect those old L300's from a fate worse than death!! But, promise us one thing, please? No more renting them out as DJ fodder!! These lovely speakers deserve a better fate than that, Lad!! Give them a loving home, once they are restored, and take ultra-fine care of them, and they will offer you a lot of pride and pleasure in the years to come!! However, IF you are going to keep using them in an industrial situation, which is your choice to make, of course, then forget about making them nice and just use them as they are. My two cents, and your mileage may well vary.... But, "severely punished"? No way! Good luck on your L300's project, and as the movie dialogue says, "You must choose wisely"!! ;):D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Uncle Paul
11-12-2009, 10:11 AM
You're right, I should be severely punished........:banghead:

That's OK, man. Once you have restored these to their original glory you will have something truly special. At least you have enough left to bring them back.

travis5049
11-13-2009, 06:07 PM
I rent my DJ speakers these days..can't beat 27.00 for a weekend to beat up someone elses equipment.

travis5049
11-13-2009, 06:09 PM
picked up some 4312a's this weekend in awsome condition ...........picking them up tommorow

pmakres1
11-20-2009, 08:48 PM
I've been away for a time, but thought I'd drop in.....can't think of a better thread to drop in on...an L300 resurrection thread. Good to see everyone, Doc Marc your setup looks great, I'm sure you're loving your L300's. I still wish I had the room (and dollars) to set up yet another system that would include a nice pair of L300's.

Best to everyone....Travis good luck on your project, you've got a job ahead that will be a challenge, but as some have already said, it wll be well worth it. I'll watch with interest and hope you'll chronicle your project with lots of photos. :yes:

Best to all,

Pete

Doc Mark
11-26-2009, 09:19 AM
I've been away for a time, but thought I'd drop in.....can't think of a better thread to drop in on...an L300 resurrection thread. Good to see everyone, Doc Marc your setup looks great, I'm sure you're loving your L300's. I still wish I had the room (and dollars) to set up yet another system that would include a nice pair of L300's.

Best to everyone....Travis good luck on your project, you've got a job ahead that will be a challenge, but as some have already said, it wll be well worth it. I'll watch with interest and hope you'll chronicle your project with lots of photos. :yes:

Best to all,

Pete

Morning, Pete,

It's great to see you here again, and thanks for jumping in on this L300 thread! Yes, we're still in deep lust with our L300's, and on this day of Thanksgiving, are thankful that those wonderful JBL's came our way! But, Pete, your JBL system is outstanding, too, and I've always thought that your 220's and B460 + you Mac goodies, made for a fantastic combination! Again, glad to see you here at LH, once again, and all the best this Thanksgiving Day! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

pmakres1
11-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Morning, Pete,

It's great to see you here again, and thanks for jumping in on this L300 thread! Yes, we're still in deep lust with our L300's, and on this day of Thanksgiving, are thankful that those wonderful JBL's came our way! But, Pete, your JBL system is outstanding, too, and I've always thought that your 220's and B460 + you Mac goodies, made for a fantastic combination! Again, glad to see you here at LH, once again, and all the best this Thanksgiving Day! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Thanks Doc...and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! Yes, I love my L220/B460 combo teamed up with my Macs....but I can't help but to still lust for the legendary JBL models, and the L300 certainly falls in that category. I will long for a pair of those until the day arrives that I somehow acquire a pair! I'm not so sure they would be what I'd want for my present main system, I've been accustomed to a tower design in that system for so long...what I dream of is somehow buying the villa adjacent to my present home and setting up a few more systems there! (dream on Pete...) I've also been long fascinated with idea of what a pair of L250's or 250Ti's would look like and sound like in my main system. But then, what to do with my beloved L220's that I've owned for over 27 years? It's tough when you have a company like JBL who has come up with so many superb models.

For now, I am still very grateful for the gear I presently own. Hope you're having a great Thanksgiving, keep in touch ad God bless!

Pete

travis5049
12-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Going to get started on this right after we get back from skiing this weekend. I replaced the l300's that I had in the LF and RF position on my HT setup with some really nice 4312a's. Yes I had to turn the tweeters down...............too bright! But they are wonderful! I'll take some pics of everything as I start taking the l300's apart. The grills are being built in dallas and should be ready this month.

The plan that I have lined out is to build a subwoofer cabinet out of mdf and veneer it to give me some practice. I have 2 cerwin vega 12" drivers one of which is going in this sub box. Down firing woofer with front port. All the veneer between the 4312's the l300's and the sub will be the same which should look great. Passive sub, I have a peavey CS800 that's going to drive it. I got the box volume and port measurement's from Cerwin Vega. The l300 driver's are going to the shop at the time that I'm building this box, and the boards to replace the capacitors.

The sad part is after the l300 project is completed the 4312's will be moved to the rear surround positions.

More in a week..............