PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4410 vs Altec 604

Progneta
10-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi All,
I just did a comparison of a pair of JBL 4410 studio monitors vs some Altec 604-x/g/c.

I was shocked to find the the JBL 4410 pair sounded cleaner and more highs than the 604. I have been a 604 fan for years! (I own 30 of them :) )

I am curious to what you guys think about 604 vs 4410's and other speakers?

Thanks,
G

UreiCollector
10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I grew up on the 604G's, and have owned 604E's...now using Urei 813A (modified 604's).

Without a doubt, they all lack the high frequency extension of other systems (4410, LSR6332, etsc)...but considering we are comparing compression drivers to dome tweeters, it becomes apparent why. It's something I'm used to personally.

If I'm listening to some music that requires a little more high end sizzle...I listen to other speakers....but overall, I still think the Urei's sound the best.

There is also one heck of a size difference here too....

There is no perfect do everything speaker IMHO.

Just mfy 2 cents on the subject.

Frederick

Hi All,
I just did a comparison of a pair of JBL 4410 studio monitors vs some Altec 604-x/g/c.

I was shocked to find the the JBL 4410 pair sounded cleaner and more highs than the 604. I have been a 604 fan for years! (I own 30 of them :) )

I am curious to what you guys think about 604 vs 4410's and other speakers?

Thanks,
G

robertbartsch
10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
If Altec did two things in the 1970s they would probably still be around.

1. Produce a super UHF tweeter to augment the VOTTs and
2. Produce a really good 12" studio monitor in a moderate sized package

A possible third change would have been to increase the power rating of their SR drivers. The introduction of the 605 was a bad move and the begining of the end, however.

Hindsight is perfect!

Mr. Widget
10-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Sounds like you need to get out more often. :)

There are so many modern speakers that offer superior clarity, micro and macro dynamics, imaging, frequency range extremes, and accuracy that simply were not possible back in the 604 days.

That said, the better examples are not inexpensive.

Widget

Akira
10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Like many things from a million years ago, I love 604's because I grew up on them. I used to especially like the big Reds and the time aligned Urei's with the bottom extention.
Aside from studio monitors, I thought they were one of the best keyboard monitors available when used in pairs for band applications-- a real luxury back in the 70's to have a stereo pair along with the Moogs and Synclaviers. Ah, the 'Yes' days!

It is no surprise that the 4410's out preform them as they were one of the final refinements in a long list of smaller monitors that were the evolutionary culmination of the great grand daddy of them all--the JBL 4310. Though the 4310 is still my favorite of all, it's original job was to replace or mimic the 604 in a small box format and to a large degree it does that quite well...no sub bass, upper mid peak and a gently rolling off high end after 10K. Also remember that the lacquer cutting limitation of that era was 45Hz to 15KHz. So if you want to playback music of that era, both the 604 and the 4310 will shine against the more modern boxes:)

Progneta
10-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all the info. I am currently using 604s and the 4410's together. It sounds splendid when the 604s mix with the 4410. I have used vintage speakers all my life so switching to modern speakers probably will never happen. :) Its to hard to switch away from something you know works!