PDA

View Full Version : 4311b "goop" issue?

aardvarcus
10-29-2009, 12:10 PM
I am thinking about buying another pair of 4311b's, but am wary because of "goop" that is running down one speaker (maybe both). The seller assures me that greased lightning will get it off, and that it is nothing serious, but the pair that I own does not have this problem. I do not want these speakers if they do not clean up well or if there is an underlying issue, so please inform me as of such. Any comments about personal experience with this "goop" would be excellent. Thanks in advance!

robertbartsch
10-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Goop drip is not uncommon, particulaly in warmer climates. It comes from the "dope" substance that is used by the factory to seal the outer surrounds on the woofer driver.

Lots of folks deal with this by removing the driver from the cab and rotating it to a different/opposite position every year or less.

I don't see any damage to any of the mid or tweeter drivers in the picture.

Someone here should be able to recommend a cleaner/solvent to get the goop off the baffle and cab.

RussinOhio
10-30-2009, 05:51 PM
The speakers mouth is watering for some serious amp power.....and SOON!:D

Just kidding. Running "Goop" as you call it is quite common on lots of JBL/Altec woofers with doped-cloth surrounds.

If you rotate it I'd put the "goop-mass" at either 9 o'clock or 3' oclock....otherwise the stuff might run down the center of the cone.

aardvarcus
11-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the help, but I decided against buying at this time. I had other non-goop factors involved in that decision.

Progneta
11-04-2009, 06:18 PM
I had the same thing with the goop running down. I just used a light household cleaner, little bit of scrubbing and it came off without damaging the wood (this took a while to do)

On all my speakers, I try to rotate the drivers every 6 months (min) to prevent "goopage" and the spider getting smashed down.

It can be a pain to rotate everything but I think it helps :)

Thanks for the help, but I decided against buying at this time. I had other non-goop factors involved in that decision.