PDA

View Full Version : L7 shipping question

wkjeffers
10-28-2009, 06:05 AM
I am looking for factory shipping spec's for JBL L7's. I came across this once on the forum but can't seem to locate it again. any direction would be appreciated as well as any tips on shipping these large speakers. Thanks!

BMWCCA
10-28-2009, 06:37 AM
I am looking for factory shipping spec's for JBL L7's.I'm not clear about what you're asking. You can look here to see diagrams of how they were packed originally: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L7%20ts.pdf
It looks like they were originally packaged individually and shipping weight was 75-lbs each. The cabinets are pretty robust but the grilles are very fragile. In most cases the shipping expense can destroy a good deal on speakers this large. If you punch the weight and dimensions into the UPS calculator for a two-zone shipment (ie. East Coast to Midwest) I come up with $140 per box. They rate it by size and weight as a 130-lb box.

I'd use lots of rigid foam and double-box them, at a minimum. The two pair I've bought I picked up myself in my mini-van with rear-seat removed. Even my L5s got carried in my trunk on their 600-mile trip home.

Are you buying or selling?

wkjeffers
10-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Yes, that is what I was looking for. I am looking to buy outside of driving distance. Thanks for the advice, I wish I could pickup to avoid shipping but that is not an option. Ever ypair I find is at least 2 states away and I have too little time to travel to get them. Just trying to weigh options to acquire these rare models.

Thanks again for the direction!

hjames
10-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Frankly, when I ship speakers long distance (like a pair of L100s last year, and L100Ts earlier this year),
I box the speakers up with a full wrap of pink building foam, then put the grills in a 3rd box with their own layer of foam!

See - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=264103&postcount=56

and

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=263885&postcount=40

No one has complaints with that kind of care!

BMWCCA
10-28-2009, 05:56 PM
I box the speakers up with a full wrap of pink building foam, then put the grills in a 3rd box with their own layer of foam!
That's usually the best method, but maybe not for the L7. Building up the voided area where the drivers sit on the baffle is a packaging problem. And the grilles probably gain structural integrity from traveling affixed. You just need to find some way to take the load off that top corner when they're boxed. JBL did it with a thick piece of corrugated board rolled over on the end into a double-thickness lip, with a thicker piece on top to finish it off. It's gonna be a bitch, especially with someone on the packing end not as devoted to their immaculate arrival at your home as Heather.

Best of luck. That's one heavy sucker to move around. I'd hate to see what a carrier would do with it! Looks like you're a bit over two-hours from either Louisville, Nashville, or Knoxville. They just don't seem to be L7 hot-spots. I drove to Boston (over ten-hours one-way) for my L5s when I wasn't able to find L7s. Then the best pair of L7s I've seen turned up...four-houses down the street! Patience grasshopper!

wkjeffers
10-28-2009, 08:06 PM
I know it will be fortunate to get someone devoted to the preservation of the classics. I have been looking as far away as Indy, Atlanta, or St. Louis but with little luck. Not many hifi enthusiasts here in KY. Thanks for the advice

VSN
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
I tried to get a seller in MA to pack them right, yet he failed to follow instructions....

Any speaker no matter large or small needs to be completly surrounded by thick building foam to come through, corners taking the big hit. This guy failed to place enough care into the top area and the corners got smashed.

I have shipped heavy speakers as far away as France with no problem, yet most bozo's do not know how to properly pack speakers for shipment, it is here where you take the gamble.

BTW: The L7 weigh in just under 100 pounds packed up...

I got a full refund for the damage, yet I think I will stick to pick-up like I did for my 250Ti....

Best of luck on the shipping!

SEAWOLF97
10-29-2009, 01:10 PM
I chose a 13 hour RT drive to Briitish Columbia to get my 250ti's rather than risking any other method....the seller (who is a forum member) had enough affinity for them that he took my lower offer over higher ones that involved shipping. Marty had a story abt purchasing them in Cal. ..wrapping in plastic..and transporting in the open bed of his truck from SF area to Tsawwassen.

My friend in Sydney had good luck with his eBay L250's and chose airfreight (from Arizona) - thinking that they would be handled less than seafreight ...he was lucky.

JBL notes shipping weight at 150 lbs...each.

jbl_daddy
11-01-2009, 06:07 PM
L7's in a Pawn Shop in Marietta, $299.00.

Found a pair in fairly good condition while at lunch Friday. If anyone in the Atl. is looking for a pair PM me. They are in a Pawn shop in marietta, I do not know the street number but I can explain over the phone how to get there.

Mark