PDA

View Full Version : L100 centurys

lbstyling
10-26-2009, 06:57 AM
hello,
i have a pair of L100 centurys im going to have to let go, there in near mint condition (no grills though-shame) i just wondered what there worth?

they were reconditioned by a local violin maker here in bath england a few years ago and are in perfect working order.

anyone have an idea?

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc308/lbstyling/JBLL100CENTURY015.jpg

Fred Sanford
10-26-2009, 07:43 AM
hello,
i have a pair of L100 centurys im going to have to let go, there in near mint condition (no grills though-shame) i just wondered what there worth?

they were reconditioned by a local violin maker here in bath england a few years ago and are in perfect working order.

anyone have an idea?

Do they have grille frames?

It looks like some grille pegs are missing?

Foilcals are missing?

Have the faces been re-painted? They look different than stock.

Are you willing to ship, or local pick-up only?

All this would enter into any price estimate...

je

Wagner
10-26-2009, 08:11 AM
hello,

anyone have an idea?

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc308/lbstyling/JBLL100CENTURY015.jpg

To say the pair of late model L100s that appear in your photograph is in "near mint" condition is laughable.

Pretty rough for a "reconditioned" pair
Dirty, one cone definitely stained
Broken and missing parts
Missing grille frames
The mids look as if they have suffered fairly severe sun fade and unless it's the photo, the woofers' dust caps as well.

So, I'd venture to say $100-$200 tops, depending if you catch the right buyer on the right day.

I personally would not go more than $100 for a pair that ragged, UNLESS I was in immediate and desperate need for it's driver(s).

But one never knows, now do they?

That pair's been rode hard and put up wet.

Just this writer's honest opinion.

And this question needs to be in Marketplace...........

Thomas

lbstyling
10-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Do they have grille frames?

It looks like some grille pegs are missing?

Foilcals are missing?

Have the faces been re-painted? They look different than stock.

Are you willing to ship, or local pick-up only?

All this would enter into any price estimate...

je

i have the foilcals, but there not in the best condition, so there left off.
i would ship, but as im in england.....and that aint new england nither!

no grill pegs, no grills.

badman
10-26-2009, 11:31 AM
$100 is a fair price but you can probably get $150.

Fred Sanford
10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Sounds about right so far, then- $100-200, unless all somebody has to go on is that one pic and a "near mint" description, you might luck out & get closer to $300 (don't know European value). I've bought much nicer looking/more complete sets for ~$75 or less.

Good luck-

je

Eaulive
10-27-2009, 10:10 AM
My opinion would be to sell them for parts, you'll probably get more this way.

badman
10-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Sounds about right so far, then- $100-200, unless all somebody has to go on is that one pic and a "near mint" description, you might luck out & get closer to $300 (don't know European value). I've bought much nicer looking/more complete sets for ~$75 or less.

Good luck-

je

Time for me to drop by your little valley, $75 is a steal. I would buy the woofers all day long at $75 a pair.

Fred Sanford
10-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Time for me to drop by your little valley, $75 is a steal. I would buy the woofers all day long at $75 a pair.

One pair was from Alabama, one pair was a NYC area deal. I've gotten a few ~$50 pairs of JBLs here in VA, but not L100s.

je

badman
10-27-2009, 12:10 PM
One pair was from Alabama, one pair was a NYC area deal. I've gotten a few ~$50 pairs of JBLs here in VA, but not L100s.

je

Looks like many of the deals are eastward. Ironically, I had to move to Cali to become a JBL lover :)

Wagner
10-27-2009, 01:06 PM
I didn't think we were talking deals though? ;)

I thought it was the "worth" of this particular pair, referred to by the OP as "near mint", but which in reality are far from it. (reading too many ePay representations perhaps :D )

Bottom line? I too lucked upon a very nice and complete pair only in need of a bit of "sweat equity" to be, in fact, "near mint" for only $75 dollars, here in the San Francisco market!

The pair under discussion is rather ratty and based on what I know (and think; OPINION ONLY) is only "worth" $100 - $150 TOPS!!!!!!!

This is NOT a rare model and after you correct all that is wrong with this pair you could have bought a much nicer pair for the same money, ergo my thinking with regards to "worth".

This pair of L100s is "worth" a hundred bucks. Any more than that, consider yourself fortunate

Don't help inflate values with anecdotal tales. The one in a million deals, both buying and selling, should not be used as empirical data when establishing "value" and "worth" guidelines as a rule. The pair I lucked on for $75 would realize $300-$500 easily if one wishes to use ePay completeds as a barometer.

Like some say, it's worth what you can get for it at any given time.

I'm just stating that there are better pairs out there for the same or less money than it would take to make these correct and handsome again.
Since I operate from the position of complete systems and NOT cannibalizing, in my world, these are, once again, "worth" a hundred bucks.

Thanks for listening! :)

Thomas

Zilch
10-27-2009, 01:06 PM
How hard would it have been to wipe off the dirty handprints? :blink:

Wagner
10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Or, maybe the question should have been (and what the low post count mercenaries should ask) is:

"Hey guys, whadaya think I can GET for these"?

That would probably be more accurate as to their meaning and intent.

Just one man's opinion :)
(all from the perspective of one who covets these things)

Thomas

Wagner
10-27-2009, 01:12 PM

Those hand prints are "near mint" I'll have you know!!!!!!!

Thomas

SEAWOLF97
10-27-2009, 03:26 PM
for only $75 dollars, here in the San Francisco market!

This is NOT a rare model and after you correct all that is wrong with this pair you could have bought a much nicer pair for the same money, ergo my thinking with regards to "worth".

This pair of L100s is "worth" a hundred bucks. Any more than that, consider yourself fortunate

Thomas

Well. among all that ..you did touch on the answer.

here in the San Francisco market!

An object only has value within a certain context.

This is NOT a rare model

he is in the UK and values are most likely different than SF...they may be rare there.....

I was watching the movie "BlowUp" with the commentary ON...in one scene in a rock club with the Yardbirds (w/Beck & Page) ...one of them gets frustrated with his guitar and smashes it up and throws the pieces to the crowd....the neck gets tossed out and there is a huge scramble for it ...the subject nabs it and runs for the door...he is perused down an alley until he gets away with his prize....alone , on the street, he takes another look at it and tosses it in the gutter as worthless.

It had value within the concert context, but not in the ordinary world.

Mebbe where he is ..its much more valuable, or in Japan or China ?? SF value may mean little in this case. thats the whole idea of eBay...take something from a location where value is low (your house) and present to an audience where it may be higher.

I'd give him $ 150 any day , in my context they are worth an easy $300.

BMWCCA
10-27-2009, 05:47 PM

:D I figured it was spilled coffee.

Wagner
10-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Well. among all that ..you did touch on the answer.

An object only has value within a certain context.

he is in the UK and values are most likely different than SF...they may be rare there.....

I was watching the movie "BlowUp" with the commentary ON...in one scene in a rock club with the Yardbirds (w/Beck & Page) ...one of them gets frustrated with his guitar and smashes it up and throws the pieces to the crowd....the neck gets tossed out and there is a huge scramble for it ...the subject nabs it and runs for the door...he is perused down an alley until he gets away with his prize....alone , on the street, he takes another look at it and tosses it in the gutter as worthless.

It had value within the concert context, but not in the ordinary world.

Mebbe where he is ..its much more valuable, or in Japan or China ?? SF value may mean little in this case. thats the whole idea of eBay...take something from a location where value is low (your house) and present to an audience where it may be higher.

I'd give him $ 150 any day , in my context they are worth an easy $300.

I thought that was what I said
I also thought I expressed the fact that with no more to his question than what was originally asked, he really meant to say "what can I get for these" with minimal effort, rather than "what are they "worth"".
After all, shouldn't take too much to realize "top dollar", being they're "near mint".
I don't base my answers/positions on the global community's take on things nor the ever changing value of the U.S. Dollar.

Pointing out the fact TO THIS FORUM of all places, that his goods were "near mint" was all I needed to know to bet a testicle as to his motive.

I well understand supply and demand but thanks for the clarification! :)

;)
Thomas