PDA

View Full Version : Refoam Madness

Don McRitchie
06-25-2004, 07:14 AM
I stole the reference to the following auction from audiokarma.org. However, given the recent discussions on refoaming drivers, this has to be seen to be believed. I think it has to be recognized as the gold standard for quality work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61374&item=5705718827&rd=1

BTW, it couldn't have happened to a nicer speaker.

boputnam
06-25-2004, 07:35 AM
:(

The speakers have all seen some edge work on them... No - really...?

Well, at least the caulking might have stopped the leaking air, hey? Nutter...

4313B
06-25-2004, 07:39 AM
Post a pic Bo, eBay is off limits due to school filters.

boputnam
06-25-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
Post a pic Bo, eBay is off limits due to school filters. Here ya go... Takin' notes over there...? :hmm:

4313B
06-25-2004, 07:47 AM
Yeah, now I know just how to do Guido's surrounds on his 2121H's. I think I'll mix in red dye with the caulk though. Something that will really contrast with the JBL Blue baffles.

Figge
06-25-2004, 08:24 AM
LOL!!! is that how my 4301B:s gonna look when im finished with em?

cant imagine any wors than that...look at the sorry little driver in the upper right on the left speaker!!!

Guido
06-28-2004, 03:37 AM
Yeah, now I know just how to do Guido's surrounds on his 2121H's. I think I'll mix in red dye with the caulk though. Something that will really contrast with the JBL Blue baffles.

:bash:
Beware Giskard!

I've good connections to the russian mafia :coolness:

Guido
06-28-2004, 03:39 AM
Post a pic Bo, eBay is off limits due to school filters.

The same sh.t over here. No Ebaying during the day.
:biting:

Hofmannhp
06-28-2004, 04:43 AM
Hi forumities,

I can't understand your excitement.......what can you do better with the Bose:D

Maybe that they sound a lot better now.

HP

4313B
06-28-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Guido
:bash:
Beware Giskard!

I've good connections to the russian mafia :coolness: :rotfl: I was wondering if that post would sneak by you or not. :p

Robh3606
06-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Check this one out its another clasic off da-bay

Rob:rotfl: :shock: :rotfl: :spin:

Figge
07-01-2004, 09:08 AM
is that what i think it is? scotch tape?

the creativity behind this is not to underestimated!

jarrods
07-05-2004, 05:00 AM
All this triggers a childhood memory of a young Jarrod who 'helped out' his dad in the garage fix peoples radios. We lived in a small country town and dad serviced many of the old radio's from the surround dairy farms.

One day one of these farmers delivered a big old radio in his truck for a fix up; complaining that it does not go loud. Dad pulled it apart with me watching and as the back come off he could see the rear of the speaker cone that had the words Kellog's Corn Flakes printed on it. In answer to dad's questions came a reply along the lines that "mice had eaten that bit of cardboard so I replaced it".

I can still visualise the driver now when it was right out of the cabinet. A round circle of a Corn Flakes breakfast cereal packet cut with a slot so as to form a cone shape, slammed in and glued to whatever was left of the centre voice coil. Foam surround???, any surround??, any corrigations????..... no just the cardboard wedged in between the speaker frame and the wooden cabinet.

I may have only been 10 or so at the time and not well versed in speaker construction but I do recall it was funny even to me.

Jarrod.

(ps it still sounded better than mint Bose 901's) :-)