PDA

View Full Version : Recone 2245H myself

hificanada
10-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Any instructions or manuals for reconing the 2245H driver? Can't be that hard to do, as long as I get the complete kit and glue. I would like to learn that, even if I have to pratice on a smaller driver.

BMWCCA
10-22-2009, 08:47 PM
It's my understanding that JBL re-cone kits are only available to JBL dealers and repair stations. I'm guessing you'd have to talk someone out of one as opposed to having them install it, but I'm sure others have a relationship that gets them kits as they need them. :dont-know

1audiohack
10-23-2009, 05:45 PM
It's not that hard, haveing good dexterity is a must if you like nice thin glue lines. There are a few tricks that sure help.

What I did was offered to pay straight shop time to a fabulous reconer to "school" me in the art. It was well worth it, I made a friend, learned a skill, and got my 2123's done with my own hands, correctly.

I hope it works out for you too.

robertbartsch
10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
...anyone know if the factory will continue to supply 2245 cones? I thought the new policy was to supply pro parts for a limited period after production ceased.

hificanada
10-30-2009, 04:16 PM
...anyone know if the factory will continue to supply 2245 cones? I thought the new policy was to supply pro parts for a limited period after production ceased.
I hope that I am not reading this incorrectly, that I can not get the 2245H reconed any more?

pentictonklaus
10-30-2009, 04:53 PM
I hope that I am not reading this incorrectly, that I can not get the 2245H reconed any more?

There is shop in Calgary that I do recommend. He is using original JBL kits,
at least for as long as they are available.
There is also a shop close to You in Ontario. I do not want to mention his name, but be aware of that shop using aftermarket kits.
He often advertises on E Bay, but does not make it totally clear that his recones are not original.

PM me if you need the Calgary shop address.

Klaus

lgvenable
10-30-2009, 10:15 PM
we have a local reconer here in Evansville, but I swear, he was kinda loopy to me. He was really concerned about selling his 2241 recone kits, since that was THE speaker they used in their business for sound productions in southern Indiana.

I'm sure hes a great guy; just had a tough time keeping him on point....

kinda like he reminded me of me, when I smoked left handed cigs....in the 70's early 80's...

The point is that he said he had a tough time getting kits, as JBL only builds so many at a pass, and then has to move on to other kits in thier pattern wheel as they support orders. The reason he claimed they were tight and hand to hand with their reconers was the fact that JBL still makes them edge-wound..the old fashioned way with human labor not higher speed mechanical means.

Don't know if its true or not, but he claimed you had to place an order, but needed to in lots of cones, so thats why it was harder to final reconers with single kits.

True or not?? I don't know, in the end I deal with his partner, who rebuilds amps and IS THE BEST I've found at that for a bare minimum price.

I might also say he build W Bin subs based on a design, which I never saw discussed on the forum; that JBL designed for the movie "Earthquake". He claimed they dragged these speakers all over the country supporting the movie. Thats why he took the speakers out of the SR4719 I now have (and refilled), and put the 2241's into a w bin sub's. Mean looking design, it does produce very loud spl levels of base; when driven 600w continuous. These were for real, I could see them, as he has like 16 of them in his storage, with associated amps.
Larry

hificanada
10-31-2009, 01:32 AM
First, I am a bit confused, 2245h recone kits are not being made anymore, is it game over for the 2245H? Or do we have to work with a after market kit? If so, how good is the after market kit? Or is there another 18in JBL has that replaces the 2245H?

dprice
10-31-2009, 06:46 AM
I think what they are trying to say is the 2245H recones should still be available to official JBL repair shops (call one) but this will not be true forever. Since they get produced in batches, availability may vary from time to time. Last but not least, good luck getting someone to sell you one. I think JBL allows 50% of the list price for labor/profit so i'm guessing you won't save much if you did buy one for a DIY effort. Personally, I would bite the bullet and get it done right with a warranty.

The non-JBL aftermarket kits are out there. Quality? Who knows? Sell the blown JBL and buy something else...

Good luck either way.

John
10-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Kits are around ,in fact I got one sitting next to my as I write this;)

By the way it was Cerwin Vega that built the w bins for earthquake not JBL.:banghead:

robertbartsch
11-01-2009, 02:17 PM
I had two dead 2240 reconed into 2245s using JBL kits about six months ago.

It took my JBL re-coner about two months to get the kits, however.

lgvenable
11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
really. Not surprized.

This guy I've met is a bit of a character. But the design is awesome, as it produces massive amounts of bass. He had told me about seeing them when he was at the JBL location at Northridge for a course.

Since I'm only repeating what he'd said, I take you on your word. Heck, he just wanted the 2241H's out of a beautiful sr4719 box; which I scored empty for 150.00, and refilled with speakers I already had.
Larry