PDA

View Full Version : Altec 7 Series II worth new surrounds?

JimLS
10-22-2009, 06:17 PM
I have a pair of Altec 7 Series II that were new in 1980. One developed a raspy noise recently and I found the woofer surround is cracked all the way around on both and the midrange on one has some small cracks as well. I haven't refoamed any speakers before but it looks like something I could do. I did notice the specs on the speaker say 12" woofer - the outside of the frame is 12" but the cone is 8" - marketing I guess... The midrange cone is about 3.25".

Don't really know much about this so need some advice. Any other things I should look at while I am repairing them? Are the tweeters likely to do the same thing soon? Thanks.

Earl K
10-22-2009, 06:32 PM
I have a pair of Altec 7 Series II that were new in 1980. One developed a raspy noise recently and I found the woofer surround is cracked all the way around on both and the midrange on one has some small cracks as well. I haven't refoamed any speakers before but it looks like something I could do. I did notice the specs on the speaker say 12" woofer - the outside of the frame is 12" but the cone is 8" - marketing I guess... The midrange cone is about 3.25".

Don't really know much about this so need some advice. Any other things I should look at while I am repairing them? Are the tweeters likely to do the same thing soon? Thanks.

- Read this thread on refoaming (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469) .
- Pay attention to the contact info in the first post . Contact "Rick Cobb" and provide him with the pertinent details as requested by him . He should be able to provide something similar to the original surrounds . He'll want some measurements ( of the paper cone diameter / & the inside rim edge to inside rim edge diameter / & maybe something else ) .

- How about some pics of your speakers / I've never seen an Altec 7 Series II .

>< cheers :)