PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas "White Van" approach....

Doc Mark
10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Greetings, All,

Last night, I returned from a week long Living History event up in Utah. We had quite a bit of fun, but the drive was a long one.

Whilst gassing up in Las Vegas, yesterday, a guy pulled up in a small mini-van and asked if I was interested in buying "a killer sound system"? I told him, "No, thanks. I have a very nice JBL system at home". He then replied, "Well, these speakers will BLOW away your JBL's"!! To which I replied, "Oh, I don't think so". To which he told me, very emphatically, "JBL's are shit, compared to these great speakers I'm selling. These speakers will SMOKE JBL's". I told him, "Well, good for you. I'll just keep limping along with my piece of shit JBL's, thank you"! He then drove away, cussing and railing out loud!! I laughed out loud, and was still chuckling, even whilst changing what turned out to be a tire that was rapidly going flat! Hey, maybe that arsehole spiked my tire after I wasn't interested in his "killer sound system"!! :rotfl:Good riddance to bad rubbish!! If had had a little more time, I might have yanked his chain for a bit, just for fun. But, I was ready to be home again, and didn't wish to waste my time messing with this moron. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

oldsoundz
10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the chuckle Doc!

JBL Dog
10-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I would have to go back some 23 (or so) years the first time I was approached by the white-van-speaker-guy. I guess people are still buying them.

:banghead:

jcrobso
10-20-2009, 12:40 PM
They buy a lot of high priced advertising and market them as Bo$e.

badman
10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I got approached by a guy in college with white van action. I managed to waste a good half hour of his time, I was half-drunk but knew shit when I saw it. Perfect combination for amusement at this fools expense.

Titanium Dome
10-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Whilst gassing up in Las Vegas, yesterday, a guy pulled up in a small mini-van and asked if I was interested in buying "a killer sound system"? I told him, "No, thanks. I have a very nice JBL system at home". He then replied, "Well, these speakers will BLOW away your JBL's"!! To which I replied, "Oh, I don't think so". To which he told me, very emphatically, "JBL's are shit, compared to these great speakers I'm selling. These speakers will SMOKE JBL's". I told him, "Well, good for you. I'll just keep limping along with my piece of shit JBL's, thank you"! He then drove away, cussing and railing out loud!!
Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc, that was you? :confused:

Sorry man.

subwoof
10-20-2009, 06:29 PM
I was approached by a pair of gentlemen at the bank parking lot back in the day when I always seemed to have a pair of big JBL's in the van...

I acted real interested and asked them to unpack a whole system so I could check out the speakers....

gets better...

As soon as I hefted one of those "massive speakers" I opened the side door of my van and asked one of them to pick up a cabinet that had (2) 2225's and a 2245 driver. They couldn't do it. wimps.

Then I handed them a raw 2445 and said that THIS is a tweeter magnet - and it weighed more than their entire system, boxed.

They left.

heheheheh

mikebake
10-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Doc, that was you? :confused:

Sorry man.
Now that is funny..

hjames
10-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Then I handed them a raw 2445 and said that THIS is a tweeter magnet - and it weighed more than their entire system, boxed.

They left.

heheheheh

:) evabody funny.
Now you funny too!

:applaud:

Eaulive
10-20-2009, 08:19 PM
I got approached by the speaker guy back in 1991 in Montreal, he sold me his crap for 75 bucks a pair, thought I had something decent.
Unfortunately for him when I arrived home I put them next to my L100s :barf:

I carried the POS in my truck for a week until I ran in the guy again in another parking lot in another town... he was selling his stuff to another poor soul.
I got next to him and told him discreetly that he was to refund me completely or I was going to blow him off the water right now.

I got my money back and it's the last time I got owned with something like that.
I was young, the guy had a good sales pitch. :(

(better than "JBL is sh*t" anyways) ;)

subwoof
10-20-2009, 09:31 PM
one bourbon, one scotch and one beer.

Ain't seen my baby since I don't know when..

sigh...

badman
10-21-2009, 10:17 AM
I got approached by the speaker guy back in 1991 in Montreal, he sold me his crap for 75 bucks a pair, thought I had something decent.
Unfortunately for him when I arrived home I put them next to my L100s :barf:

I carried the POS in my truck for a week until I ran in the guy again in another parking lot in another town... he was selling his stuff to another poor soul.
I got next to him and told him discreetly that he was to refund me completely or I was going to blow him off the water right now.

I got my money back and it's the last time I got owned with something like that.
I was young, the guy had a good sales pitch. :(

(better than "JBL is sh*t" anyways) ;)

Hm. You should have taken the refund and blown him off anyway....