PDA

View Full Version : Best modern subsitute for a D140f?

Rusty the Scoob
10-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm a bass player in a GD tribute band and want to build a 1x15" cab around a speaker that sounds like a D140f but handles more power.

What's the best speaker for my needs? Does JBL make anything currently or recently that gets close to the same sound? Or maybe a Weber Neomag?

grumpy
10-19-2009, 03:28 PM
E140-8 is a bit more recent, and I believe capable of enduring more power...
only available used (or NOS), they're on ebay nearly every day.

2227H is more recent, but also more rare and out of production unit,
but was used in a bass rig (two of them) by an ex-JBL engineer...
if you can find one, it might be interesting to try out.

IIRC, JBL dropped the musical instrument speaker line quite some time ago.
The later M-series (also, IIRC) had stamped frames (vs cast) and smaller
voice coils.

jnewmark
10-29-2009, 11:31 AM
I would love to find a neo that came close to an E140 in tone. Most of the ones I've played through sound so dull by comparison, no bite at all, just alot of thud ( for bass guitar).

Earl K
10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm a bass player in a GD tribute band and want to build a 1x15" cab around a speaker that sounds like a D140f but handles more power.

What's the best speaker for my needs? Does JBL make anything currently or recently that gets close to the same sound? Or maybe a Weber Neomag?

- My inclination would be to ( have your authorized JBL recone center ) install a genuine JBL aluminum dust cap ( in place of the stock paper type ) into either a stock 2226G(H) / or / put a C8R2225 cone kit into a E140 basket ( magnetic assembly ) with aluminum dust cap ( installed inplace of the stock paper dust cap ) .
- The D140F, as well as the K140, had cone assemblies & voice coils very similar ( if not identicle ) to the 2205a/h and 2225h family of woofers . It was the aluminum dust cap that was the biggest determining difference .

- The E140 is a different beast / it's voice coil is shorter / for increased output but the gains are at the expense of less Xmax ( cone travel ) . It had a very different set of tradeoffs built into its' electromagnetic recipe .

>< cheers :)