PDA

View Full Version : L7's need advise and opinions

hificanada
10-16-2009, 04:59 PM
JBL, L7's, Need some advise and your opinions, just finished buying all the drivers from E-bay for one JBL, L7 speaker. Used is used, I can not expext those drivers as being any better then what I already have, mine are still in good condition, but still I wanted a spare set in just in case mine needed to be recone or a new foam ring install on the drivers.
I will list the drivers anyways: JBL 708G-1 sub 8in woofer
JBL LE 120H-1 LE120 12 in woofer
JBL Mid range 704G 704 G
JBL 035TIA, 42W JBH
all for a average of $80 each, I think the other set may come up for sale also. What would you say is my best route, can all the above drivers be reconed or a new foam ring installed?:(
All opinions pro or con are gladly accepted

Thank you

Bob

HCSGuy
10-16-2009, 06:15 PM
If I understand your post, you just purchased a set of replacement drivers for your L7's for $80, and are wondering if you should buy the other when it comes up. If this is the case, buy it for a great deal, but you probably won't ever need it. The tweeters are nice to have around, as this is what you are most likely to blow. They also have good resale value in case you ever have to make some quick cash (they sell for $40 each regularly on ebay). However, the midbass and midrange drivers use butyl rubber surrounds that should last a few decades and the woofer uses a different, denser foam that doesn't seem to have the short life of the older foam - I don't recall seeing any posts about failed foam on these, wheras the previous model L100T3 are all shot. Keep in mind also that the foam fails due to age, so buying spares for the foam (if there was an issue) will probably not work as the spares will age as well - unless you will be hermetically sealing them.

My summary - if you're getting the spares for a great deal, take it, but you'll probably never need them on those speakers.:)

btw, if I was wrong and you paid $80 average for each of the three drivers ($240 for the three drivers you list out of the four the speaker uses), don't buy any more spares - you've got enough and the seller has enough of your money.

BMWCCA
10-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately I believe that was $80/each looking at Ebay completed auctions for "JBL L7". All I wanted was a spare set of badges for an L7, and I missed those! :banghead:

hificanada
10-19-2009, 03:05 PM
If I understand your post, you just purchased a set of replacement drivers for your L7's for $80, and are wondering if you should buy the other when it comes up. If this is the case, buy it for a great deal, but you probably won't ever need it. The tweeters are nice to have around, as this is what you are most likely to blow. They also have good resale value in case you ever have to make some quick cash (they sell for $40 each regularly on ebay). However, the midbass and midrange drivers use butyl rubber surrounds that should last a few decades and the woofer uses a different, denser foam that doesn't seem to have the short life of the older foam - I don't recall seeing any posts about failed foam on these, wheras the previous model L100T3 are all shot. Keep in mind also that the foam fails due to age, so buying spares for the foam (if there was an issue) will probably not work as the spares will age as well - unless you will be hermetically sealing them.

My summary - if you're getting the spares for a great deal, take it, but you'll probably never need them on those speakers.:)

btw, if I was wrong and you paid $80 average for each of the three drivers ($240 for the three drivers you list out of the four the speaker uses), don't buy any more spares - you've got enough and the seller has enough of your money.

Looking at my total, with duties and shipping and U.S currency conversion, taxes and UPS charges for handling fees for duties to Canada it's around $450.00, but over here if one wants it bad enought, be prepared to pay big time. First the seller had the complete L7's and I was going to buy that, but the shipping was over $500 for both, so that was out.