PDA

View Full Version : JBL4301B suspected cone problem

propercake
10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi I have a pair of JBL 4301B professional series beautiful speakers, blue.
a few years ago my , then, toddler, poked the tweeters in (in mangled type of way) and ripped off the foam(?) around the cone at the front.
I suspect I need to get new cones? would you agree?
I have been told that these will cost $350 each plus $60 labour per speaker. I am in Melbourne, Victoria. Does this sound right to anyone?
any help appreciated.
thanks

grumpy
10-16-2009, 07:13 AM
foam around the tweeter cone? 4301B's came with LE26 that has no foam
around the tweeter (4301 perhaps?) ... or did you mean foam around the
woofer? $820 should be (more than) enough to find a pair of NOS LE26 :)
if anyone happened to have any. Both the tweeters and woofers come up on
Ebay often enough... I have no idea what a JBL woofer recone (116H?) would
cost in Australia, should that be necessary.

Sheesh... seems like $410 each should be enough to find like-new 4301B's, complete...

hificanada
10-23-2009, 01:17 AM
Hi I have a pair of JBL 4301B professional series beautiful speakers, blue.
a few years ago my , then, toddler, poked the tweeters in (in mangled type of way) and ripped off the foam(?) around the cone at the front.
I suspect I need to get new cones? would you agree?
I have been told that these will cost $350 each plus $60 labour per speaker. I am in Melbourne, Victoria. Does this sound right to anyone?
any help appreciated.
thanks

Yes, that sounds about right, In Canada I had to pay $450 to get the 2245H reconed in around 1998, and this was a very reasonable person, who would try to get me the best deal possible. I find that in any other country then the U.S. one really pays big time.
I had a set of JBL speakers I bought used, it had the 15in driver and one passive 15in with mid, and VHF and UHF tweeters, after a year the foam came out, and then I inquired, it was still $450 per driver. So I just dragged them out of the house and bought the new JBL,L7's.
But now with the internet, things are getting a bit better over here, some times new ones are going for the price of a recone. Make sure your dealer repair shop for reconing has a good reputation for doing this, I heard that some are not that good.
Just to be safe, if you can I would by new ones.