PDA

View Full Version : help identify these JBLs and how much power can they handel

thegasman
10-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi i picked up a pair of jbl speakers i cannot tell what model they are they are not horn loaded cabinets thay are base reflex with ports running vertically on boath sides of each cabinet each contains one D130, 075, and n2600 what model are they and how much power can they handel i currently have them hooked up to a soundcraftsmen pa5001 witch is 250x2 @ 8 ohms and 100x2 @ 16 ohms

MikeBrewster77
10-13-2009, 06:49 PM
I could be wrong (hey, it's happened once or twice) but it looks like a C34 with the 030 speaker system.

I have no idea on power handling...

Robh3606
10-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Not a lot by modern standards you have plenty on them now. They have them as 60 watt speakers in the older catalogs and 35 watts in the newer ones say 1979. They will be damn loud with 10 watts going into them.

Rob:)

BMWCCA
10-13-2009, 07:34 PM
I've had my 030s for over fifty years and have run them with everything from a Pilot mono tube amp to a Fisher SA1000 (65-wpc if I remember correctly), Crown D150 (75wpc), D150A-II (95wpc) and, finally, a Crown DC300A-II at about 175wpc. Of course the 030 is rated at 16ohm which should make the Crown more like 100wpc. The 030s sounded best with the most power. I remember back in the early '70s trying the 030s with three different Crowns (D75, D150, DC300) when I was looking to replace the Fisher, and I bought the D150 because it seemed to give the best bang for the buck. The 300 was out of my price range (college student) but it sounded the best at the time. Now I can say that for sure! So I've used my 030s for probably 35-years with amps rated around 100 watts, or more. The only thing that ever hurt them was a Kenwood receiver that blew an 075. I now assume that was from low power, not high power.

Beowulf57
10-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Actually, those cabinets may be a primitive form of back-loaded horn, as they are designed to fit in a corner and use the walls of the room to extend the flare of the horn. Very rough, but at least that's my impression from your photos? It depends on whether or not there is a chamber behind the D130 with a mouth that feeds those ports?

jcrobso
10-14-2009, 08:46 AM
I think this is a bass reflex, but the corner placement would be like putting a horn on the bass port. An older D130 was rated at 35 watts.

grumpy
10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Jensen Ultraflex cabinets or DIY copies thereof (methinks):

http://www.studiomaudio.info/onken.html

Power-wise, I'd say if they sound good (not stressed), you're fine.
Those drivers will play -very- loudly without too many watts, so you're
very unlikely to use anywhere near the power capability of that amp
unless you do something silly, like massively boost the bass or drop
a stylus on a record.

thegasman
10-14-2009, 02:17 PM
thanks for all the help who ever built this setup did a good job the cabinets are old i think an original buid by jensen? thay sound amazing
the next question is at 100 watts should i be warry of cranking it these things ar so easy on the ears you just want to keep turning it up

thegasman
10-14-2009, 02:40 PM
I did a little more research into the markings on the inside cabinet
the cabinets are as rar as i can tell are either jensen imperial cabs or
jensen ct-100 concerto cabs

BMWCCA
10-14-2009, 03:02 PM
the next question is at 100 watts should i be warry of cranking it these things ar so easy on the ears you just want to keep turning it up35 years ago, when I was in college, I lived on a 360-acre farm in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains. Our rented farmhouse was frequently the weekend party location for scores of people and we'd normally set the JBL 030 systems out on the porch and play them to the mountains. Neighbors across the river would often come by to see who the band was. We'd play them at quite loud levels for hours on-end. One hot Summer the thermal protection on the Crown D150 cut the output but that was an early one with no faceplate and it was playing on its side (to show off the Crown logo) on a shelf. I simply stuck a #2 wooden pencil under it to give it a bit more air flow and the system kept on playing into the night. Those speakers are still playing strong to this day, and so is the Crown. I'd say your speakers are capable of taking about as much power as you can give them and still be able to stay in the (normal-sized) room with them.
:thmbsup: