PDA

View Full Version : 128h woofer

brad6285
10-11-2009, 01:28 PM
i have 2 sets of l112s and the woofer in one doesnt seem to move when you push on it it very stiff. all the others move in and ou freely as a newbee what could be wrong. should i get it fixed or buy anoyher 128h. is the 128h expensive. iwas thinking of sending it to orange county speaker for repair but if its something thats giung to caost almost as much as replacement ill just buy another. does anyone have one for sale. thanx brad

hjames
10-11-2009, 07:35 PM
i have 2 sets of l112s and the woofer in one doesn't seem to move when you push on it it, very stiff.
all the others move in and out freely.
as a newbee what could be wrong.
should i get it fixed or buy another 128h.
is the 128h expensive.
i was thinking of sending it to orange county speaker for repair but if its something
thats going to cost almost as much as replacement ill just buy another. does anyone have one for sale. thanx brad

A simplified explanation - (I know sometimes cones are not paper, but bear with me here)
A woofer is a paper cone attached to a voice coil that slides in and out in a circular groove in a magnet.
Clearances are tight between the coil and the magnet. When you send signal into the coil, it becomes an electro magnet
and moves away from the magnet. That makes the paper cone move air, and moving air is sound. (simplified, I know)

The voice coil is usually coated with something like varnish to keep the windings in place.
If the speaker is played too loud or with too much power, the voice coil can overheat, and that
varnish melts or bubbles up. Usually enough so it then rubs in the tight space its supposed to move it ...

If that's so, and if parts are available, you can have it reconed at a shop.
If you have a new cone with voice coil installed (and with the gap cleaned out) it shouldn't rub anymore.
I don't know exact prices, but its a quality thing - it costs money to have it done right by a pro.

You can buy another used speaker, but is it in spec, will the sound match the others,
has it been over driven like your old one? Its always a roll of the dice with used gear.

pos
10-12-2009, 05:25 AM
you can still get 128H-1 kits (black cone), but not sure about the 128H (white cone)