PDA

View Full Version : Altec Enclosures info Needed

Altec Best
10-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Earl K are you out there???? I need help with Enclosures I'm a big Altec Fan but am not good with electronics although I have a good ear for sound.I have 2 pair of 416-8B's that I would like to use with a Tar-Filled 1005/288 combo and would like to use 2 416-8B's per cabinet or channel.Also has to be small enough to fit in my house I know the model 19 cabinet is good for the 416 but I can only use 1 LF driver with that was wondering if anyone knows of an existing cabinet that I can use to house 2 416-8B's with the HF horn on top of that.Thanks !!!! A B

Earl K
10-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi A B,

- By "existing" , do you mean used ( from the SR market & likely findable on eBay ) / or / a cabinet style that has existing plans/blueprints ( for you to copy & build ) ?

- Either way ( just "blueskying" ) , my first stab at making twin 416s work together would be something in the form of a 10 cu ft cabinet ( housing both woofers ) with one of the woofers working in the .5 mode .
- This means that one of the woofers reproduces nothing but frequencies lower than 80 hz . This requires a large inline inductor on the chosen VLF woofer ( coil size is @ 20 mH ) .

- I'd ( roughly ) pattern the whole thing on JBLs' stunningly beautiful DD6600 ( on the right for those not yet in the club ) .
- I'm pretty sure that 288s on 1005 multicells will need a tweeter on the top end / do you have anything that does UHF ?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=41657&stc=1&d=1252249854

>< cheers :)

Altec Best
10-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi Earl, I was talking with Scott this afternoon and I told him, but Earl doesn't accept PM's and that will probably take months to get in touch with him and Bam!! There he is..... You the Man !!! Thanks Earl for response.I love music but my electronics knowledge is not up to par I'm no where near your league.As for the tweeter I'm kinda partial to the low frequencies I like music you can feel, and hear.I'm open to anything I can do, I'll need some kind of guidance I can build cabinets.But I was looking for something already built that I can drop the drivers in and XO's and plug in my amp Plug & Play so to speak. I was just checking out the duals the other day but it's hard to tell without the LF drivers hooked up.By the way I'll take a pair of those speakers on the left with the dual 15" bass drivers Hey that's what I'm trying to Get , But with all Altec Lansing Mint drivers.I will need single throats as the duals are overkill in my listening room sounds like I'm in a closet with these monsters.

When I said existing I meant did Altec make a cabinet that was tuned for 2 416-8B's or was the model 19 cabinet about the only one for that driver which was a single cabinet I would like to put 2 in one cabinet with the multicell on top is it worth doing or will it sound like crap ????

By the way are those speakers for sale with the dual 15's ????

Earl can you help me with plans,drawings, anything would be greatly Appreciated !!!!! I have the drivers but just need LF Enclosures and internal Electronics I have N501-8A's Crossovers but how to keep this all at 8 ohm going to the amp will be needed. Thanks Again Regards ~ A B

Altec Best
10-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Earl, do you have anything on that 10 cu.ft. cabinet that you spoke of or a picture I would very much like to see it Regards ~ A B

CONVERGENCE
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
There's the Rod speaker with 2 416 or 411 and one 511 E 1.4 " throat and a super tweeter.

Earl K
10-13-2009, 07:20 AM
snip ,,,,,Also has to be small enough to fit in my house

- What size ( dimensions please ) will fit comfortably into your listening space?

snip,,,,,,
I know the model 19 cabinet is good for the 416 but I can only use 1 LF driver with that

- Don't you already have a pair of M19(s) ?
- If so, what is it about them that you want to improve upon ?

was wondering if anyone knows of an existing cabinet that I can use to house 2 416-8B's with the HF horn on top of that.Thanks !!!! A B

- I've looked around and can't find any existing cabinets ( or plans ) that really fit the bill . JBLs' model 4508 cabinet comes to mind, but it's a mite small for 2, 416s .
- I suspect that you will stuck doing a custom design/build that may or may not meet your LF expectations ( whatever those actually are ) .

- One idea here, contact some local sound companies ( within a 150 mile radius to you ) and ask if they have surplus bass bins for sale ( single or dual 15 ). SR companies this time of year are discovering their surplus needs . Find out the sizes that are available and take it from there .

Altec Best
10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
- What size ( dimensions please ) will fit comfortably into your listening space?

- I've looked around and can't find any existing cabinets ( or plans ) that really fit the bill . JBLs' model 4508 cabinet comes to mind, but it's a mite small for 2, 416s .
- I suspect that you will stuck doing a custom design/build that may or may not meet your LF expectations ( whatever those actually are ) .

- One idea here, contact some local sound companies ( within a 150 mile radius to you ) and ask if they have surplus bass bins for sale ( single or dual 15 ). SR companies this time of year are discovering their surplus needs . Find out the sizes that are available and take it from there .

Hi Earl, they could be actually a corner horn would be ideal could be 36" front x 27"x 27" sides x 5-6 ft high with the HF on top.As for the model 19 they sound great I'm extremely happy with them actually I have a pair of Cornwall II's stacked on top of them and the combo sound great.The 19's I think have much better bass and the Cornwalls have alittle better mids and highs but right now all the sound is coming from one direction I'm just looking to add some sound coming from the other direction to make it sound more stereophonic or surround sound.The 1005's I think are actually way to big I have 805's that I may swap out and if that don't work i have a pair of Mantarays as well MR II 594A's I could try.I just have too much stuff collecting dust that I would like to put to use I'm not getting any younger and if I don't do it now it will never be used and to the "ePay" market it goes.I mean "mEpay":banghead: which I don't really want to do.But I'm running out of space quickly.As the saying goes " Use It Or Lose It". The previous post is very interesting do you know or does anyone know more about the "Rod Speaker" that looks like something I could do but I would need to stand cabinet up on side for space Req. .I tried to Google it but the only thing that comes up is that article does anyone have any Spec's on the Speaker System or was that just an advertising gimmick. Thank You for any help anyone could give and Thank You for your help already Earl. Much Appreciated !!!!!! Regards ~ A B

Altec Best
10-13-2009, 12:10 PM

There's the Rod speaker with 2 416 or 411 and one 511 E 1.4 " throat and a super tweeter.

Convergence, That speaker is very interesting do you have that article I can't read it and was wondering if you could scan with a printer and send it to me.I would very much like to read that I tried to find more on it unsucessfully the print is too fine to read.Do you have dimensions of that cabinet that speaker no doubt ROCKED !!!! Regards ~ A B

Earl K
10-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Hi,

snip ,,,,,,,they could be actually a corner horn would be ideal could be 36" front x 27"x 27" sides x 5-6 ft high with the HF on top,,,,,, snip

- Those sort of dimensions could ( more or less ) easily accomodate Altecs' 606 type bass reflex cabinet ( it's a corner cabinet ).

- Navigate your way through the LHF Library into the Altec section. Then take a look at the cabinet plans within the 1960's folder . You'll need to research its' cu ft capacity ( it should work well since it looks to be 8 to 9 cu ft ) . This cabinet is for one woofer only . You'll need 2 per side if you're going to use all your woofers .
- Forget what I suggested about the ".5 option" of 2 within 10 cu ft ( I just don't see it working well for you ) .

- Download WinISD Pro ( enter the 416-8B parameters ) and start playing with some box alignments ( tunings ) . Nine cu ft ( tuned to 25 Hz ) gives a nice banana shaped LF curve ( which interacts nicely with "room gain" & is most likely desirable when placing speakers into corners ) .

Altec Best
10-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi,

- Those sort of dimensions could ( more or less ) easily accomodate Altecs' 606 type bass reflex cabinet ( it's a corner cabinet ).

- Navigate your way through the LHF Library into the Altec section. Then take a look at the cabinet plans within the 1960's folder . You'll need to research its' cu ft capacity ( it should work well since it looks to be 8 to 9 cu ft ) . This cabinet is for one woofer only . You'll need 2 per side if you're going to use all your woofers .
- Forget what I suggested about the ".5 option" of 2 within 10 cu ft ( I just don't see it working well for you ) .

- Download WinISD Pro ( enter the 4156-8B parameters ) and start playing with some box alignments ( tunings ) . Nine cu ft ( tuned to 25 Hz ) gives a nice banana shaped LF curve ( which interacts nicely with "room gain" & is most likely desirable when placing speakers into corners ) .

>< cheers :) Earl Thank You so Much for your help Much Appreciated my friend !!!!Thank You ~ A B :D

rgwalker
10-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Hi,
- Download WinISD Pro ( enter the 416-8B parameters ) and start playing with some box alignments ( tunings ) . Nine cu ft ( tuned to 25 Hz ) gives a nice banana shaped LF curve ( which interacts nicely with "room gain" & is most likely desirable when placing speakers into corners ) .

I have single 416-8Bs in 9 cu ft Altec 620A cabinets and they are a fantastic match as well as being great near field monitors. The cabinet originally housed 604-8Gs and if I'm not mistaken the 416 and the 604 are very similar woofers.

Will identical speakers work in synergy and make a cabinet built for one sound better or will it be restricted? My system doesn't color the bottom and on most recordings there is room for more oomph. On the other bhand when there is lots of bottom on the recording would they tend to cancel each other out.

I recently read of someone using identical 15s in the same cabinet with a crossover at 300 Hz and 1200 Hz; similar to the Urei 813 concept.

If anyone is reading this and has empty 620A cabinets for sale in the SoCal, Utah or Arizona area I'm in the market for three of them.

Bob W

Sootshe
10-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Here's a double bass bin enclosure I found in my old Altec literature.
Hope this helps. :)