PDA

View Full Version : Review of PSS1200 amplifier

PSS AUDIO
06-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Dear all,

There we are, Scott received a PSS1200 amplifier and he will review it in a few hours.

As this amplifier will stay in North America as is not intended to be sent back in Europe, you can get in touch with Scott thus he can send you the amplifier for testing it and so on.

I will be pleased reading your feedback and I hope you will sincerely enjoy PSS amplifiers.

Are you ready?

Steady?

GO

Oldmics
06-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Yuri

Would you be kind enough to post all of the specs about this amp?

Thank you.

Oldmics

PSS AUDIO
06-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Oldmics
Yuri

Would you be kind enough to post all of the specs about this amp?

Thank you.

Oldmics

Oldmics,

Will this link do?

http://www.pssaudio.com/english/amps.htm

Alex Lancaster
06-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Yuri:

In one of Your posts, You state that blowing air on the caps of the transistors gives better cooling; If You open a transistor up, You will find that the semiconductor is bonded to the plate, not the cap; If You run some thermal readings on the cap, plate, and aluminum plate where You screw up the transistors, I´m sure You will find some interesting data.

PSS AUDIO
06-24-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
Yuri:

In one of Your posts, You state that blowing air on the caps of the transistors gives better cooling; If You open a transistor up, You will find that the semiconductor is bonded to the plate, not the cap; If You run some thermal readings on the cap, plate, and aluminum plate where You screw up the transistors, I´m sure You will find some interesting data.

Alex,

I do know that the chip is bonded on the plate and not on the cap!

I even tried removing all the caps and compare is there were any significant improvement while blowing fresh air either on the caps or on the chips directly: they is no significant difference!

You are right when you say that there is different data’s measuring the temp on tot of the cap, between the cap and the plate and directly on the plate.

The hottest point is the junction of the cap and the plate, then the cap and the plate to finish with.

Our system is fabulous with small amplifiers (up to PSS1200). Never did they overheat.

It is true that we faced some problems with PSS2000 and 2400 amplifiers as they were overheating with a 4 ohms load and pushed at their limits. With an 8 ohms load and pushed at their limits it never overheated.

That is why we increased the thickness of the aluminium sheet from 4 to 6 millimetres, placed a more performing fan (120x120x38 mm) and placed more space between each rows of output transistors thus the fresh air can hit more aluminium.

Since we improved the system, more that a year ago, we have no more claims.

This cooling system can only be done with TO3 case transistors, not with plastic ones.

If you want to learn a little more about it, follow this link: http://www.pssaudio.com/english/art004.htm

Ian Mackenzie
07-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Has anyone heard from Scott recently?

Ian

PSS AUDIO
07-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Unfortunately, no!

Ian Mackenzie
07-06-2004, 01:57 AM
Yuri, I have not heard from Scott recently.

In order to get the review of your product under way can you confirm the deliver status of the review amplifer being sent to me?

On delivery I will review it out of the box with the JBL 4345 monitors, then run it in for a week and then provide a detailed review.

I also have a professional associate who may wish to assess the amplifier for live sound applications.

Jarrod lives not far from me and he may also wish to give an appraisal of the ampifier.

Ian:band: :cheers: :snore:

Ps I also review Red Wine while while playing JBL's....Bo's influence on me while I was away. California reds are quite good you know!

Ian Mackenzie
07-06-2004, 05:16 AM
Yuri,

I think you have the wrong impression of me here.

I have nothing to loose here, you your credibility if you pull out.

The above review could just as well be your amplifier under review. (unless you have a problem with your self esteem)

As any experienced reviewer knows, the sound of an amplifer is like a fine wine, it all comes down to taste and how you feel on the day.

I have previous written articles which have appeared in Australian HiFi magazine. Perhaps a review of your amplifier may find its way there as well!

I good faith I have deleted the above post and hope to hear from your distributor in due course.

Tell me, why is it they do not have one in stock?:hmm:

Oh, I see the response below, yes the PR department is working briliantly. :o

Don McRitchie
07-06-2004, 06:48 AM
To Ian and Yuri, since the conversation is now primarily on review arrrangements between you two, could I ask you to move that portion of this thread to PM's?

Hofmannhp
07-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Don McRitchie
.... could I ask you to move that portion of this thread to PM's?

well done Don

HP

Ken Pachkowsky
07-06-2004, 09:35 AM
What a shame this is. I can't and do not believe Scott would leave the forum just to obtain a free amplifier. However, his absence does cause confusion to say the least.

Yuri's offer was damned generous and out of the ordinary.

Come on Scott!

At least let us know your alive!

Ken

scott fitlin
07-06-2004, 01:56 PM
OK, first of all, let me tell all of you something, I DID NOT LEAVE THIS FORUM JUST TO OBTAIN A FREE AMP! I am very busy at this time of the year, and the whole last two weeks have been NON-STOP!

Anyway, I have listened extensively to this amp, and, I find it is a nice sounding amp, and its reliable! I do find the 2.3v input sensitivity somewhat hard to drive, but you can overcome this if you want to!

It makes nice, round, extended sounding bass, but IMHO, lacks the punch of a Crown, or crest! But, I dont feel this amp was ever intended to sound like a Crown. Where this amp excels is in the mids. very refined, very smooth, nice clean imaging! In the mids, Crowns can sound a bit rough and grungy, PSS is polite and very clear!

Despite its compact size, the amp puts out, and never overheated, or cut itself back, it just played and played!

I sometimes found the amp to be a bit too refined sounding and was missing that punch I like out of my fifteens, but the bass extension is what this amp will give you.

I dont know how it sounds on highs as i never put it on my horns or tweeters, and Im not sure I would choose an amp of this high power for highs or horns!

It definitely reproduces what you put into it, and sounds to be a very accurate amp.

As I said, it seems to be reliable for any purpose, cause if it works in here, IT WILL WORK ANYWHERE!

It does seem to pull little details out of the music in the range I used it, 30HZ-750HZ, and I could see people liking the amp for this!

Overall, its a good amp and will mate well with JBL,s, but I still would prefer a 1.75v input sensitivity, or 1.5v input sensitivity! I also want the slightly exaggerated HEFT on the low end the Crest offers, but even though the PSS was a bit lean for my taste, the notes were in fact VIVID and CLEAR sounding!

scott fitlin
07-06-2004, 02:05 PM
I think Im going to use this amp for the system in my arcade BECAUSE its polite sounding. In the arcade room, sweet, and unoffensive sounding is the deal!

Of course, anyone who wishes to try the amp out is welcome, all you have to do is contact me, and i will arrange shiiping, you pay freight costs, and you can audition the PSA 1200!

At the present time, though, I am extremely busy, so, it will be a minute till things slow down and audio becomes the No.1 again!

But I do like the amp for some things, and is something I am considering getting some more of for certain applications! Home users will like this amp, I am pretty sure!

:cool:

PSS AUDIO
07-06-2004, 02:17 PM
I am very glad reading you Scott and I appreciate this report!

You can go with it on your horns and tweeters; it will play as well as for your mids, even better!

It is true that this amplifier is not made for making boum boum in the bottom note but it pulls down the square signal flat down to 2/3 Hz.

Have you ever wondered why other amplifiers sound so “well” in the low and so “bad” elsewhere?

Because they are unable offering a nice sound all over the spectrum!

PSS is an amplifier intend to play full range, clear, nice, pure, with a lot of details! A bulb amplifier with the power and dynamic of a transistorized amplifier.

As you are using it in a “crowdie” place, imagine it playing on monitors… in a silent place.

It will be fiesta in HiFi.

About the 26 dB gain: by lowering the gain of an amplifier, it increases the signal to noise ratio and let you hear sounds you never heard before… It enhances too the stereophonic image.

BTW, is the amplifier connected on 8 or 4 ohms loads (this has some importance as the amplifier heats more with a 4 ohm load)?

Did you wire the inputs balanced or unbalanced?

What are your intention about this amplifier in the future and landing it to others thus we can also have their feedback?

Any pure audiophile in your area?

scott fitlin
07-06-2004, 02:28 PM
I know that some amps make fantastic bass, but sound terrible for upper ranges! IMO, The old Crown PSA-2 is such an amp! It sounded amazing for sub bass, but use it for mids or mid bass, YUCH!

But this amp is definitely NON Fatiguing through the mid band, although a little more snap might be nice too!

I understand about low noise floors, but i also run a ceratin type of gain structure that was developed for entertainment systems!

My intention for lending this amp out is they can have it shipped to them, and they pay the freight, and they can listen to it. I might be getting some more of these from you for another application I have. In my system in the Bumper cars, I need the Boum Boum! But I have no problem with getting the amp to others so they can also hear what i think, overall, is a good amp!

Would you customize the input sensitivity on future purchases for me?

BTW, the amp ran at 4 ohms per channel, and although it was exhausting warm air it didnt overheat on me, so if it works for me, for the amount of hours I run, at almost full power, it will work for any one!

PSS AUDIO
07-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
Would you customize the input sensitivity on future purchases for me?

Of course!

It is very simple to achieve, one must change 2 resistors and perhaps a small cap (any nice tech can do it in a minute)!

I do understand you need the boum boum for your application!

For my personal opinion, as a "disco" user, compared to others how do you rate it?

Pro and cons?

PSS AUDIO
07-06-2004, 02:37 PM
BTW, the amp ran at 4 ohms per channel, and although it was exhausting warm air it didnt overheat on me, so if it works for me, for the amount of hours I run, at almost full power, it will work for any one!

Now you do understand how nice is my cooling system!

Out of the same, I pull from a 3 unit box, still 10 inches depht, 2x1200W under 4 ohms... with 2x1600 VA transformers...

scott fitlin
07-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Most nightclubs want the exaggerated boom, and rumble. This amp is very clean, but accurate, and I would try a lower powered model from on my Mid horns! I like the thump from woofers, but I like clean and sweet from the horns! Its imaging is good! As I said, there is definitely a place for these amps! Im also sure there are those who do not want their bass to do what mine does! The midrange from 750Hz-7K will be interesting, but this amp is alot of power for my horns! But Im curious to hear it play this range, so I will..........

boputnam
07-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
I am very glad reading you Scott and I appreciate this report! Group hug...?

scott fitlin
07-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
Group hug...? Bo, I didnt know.........

:eek:

Chas
07-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Boom-Boom out go the lights.....Bumper cars.......then a hug? This board is morally disintegrating.....

Scott, you simply must have a listen to the amp full range or at the very least, driving mids and give us the scoop.

scott fitlin
07-06-2004, 07:58 PM
The amp ran midbass, so i have a pretty good idea of its midrange capabilities! Its smooth. I consider the horns to be high frequency and I will try it there, but this is alot more power than Ill ever need for my compression drivers, so it isnt an amp Id leave on the horns! Ill just never need what this amp can deliver at 6 ohms a side for JBL 2441,s!

But I will see how it sounds up there!

Ian Mackenzie
07-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Scott,

Good review, sounds like a nice studio amp.

Ian

PSS AUDIO
07-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
Scott,

Good review, sounds like a nice studio amp.

Ian

It is a studio amp in fact!

A studio amp that can be used hard, in fixed installation and even in clubs and places like Scott's one.

A quite universal amplifier, making just excellent music, not boum boum uh psssssst swiZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

An amplifier delivering great watts since the very first one and not tiring thus you can listen at it for hours and hours, night and day and all your life long as it also carries a 10 year warranty.

Ian Mackenzie
07-07-2004, 02:08 AM
Yuri,

Sounds like there are plenty of opportunities then for those seeking quality sound that has to be appreciated.

Given the tonality of your design, have you attempted to grow the business in other than the big apple like OEM's for self powered monitors or sub amps, muti channel (hometheatre) which appear to be an emerging markets?

Ian

PSS AUDIO
07-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Scott,

Several questions!

Do you intend testing the amplifier on your horns as you seem to be reluctant as the amplifier is too powerful (if it works well it means that the very first watts delivered are good ones)?

You told us that you would test it too in an arcade as a full range amplifier.

When do you think you will have time achieving this test?

When we organized this review, your told us/me that you had several relatives interested in testing this amplifier.

Any planning?

I think that I am not the only one interested in this review!

scott fitlin
07-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Possibly in the coming two weeks Ill have a few spare minutes to put this amp up on my horns, BUT, I run 3 JBL 2441J drivers per channel which is a nominal 6 ohm load, and this amp will produce considerably more power than I need for this range with my horns. Another item to point out is the 2.3v input sensitivity will not be responsive enough for this frequency range! But, I am curious to hear the tonality of this amp on my horns! I have always used a crown D-150A and I also have a Bryston 3B ST which both have 1v input sensitivities, as well as a McIntosh 2125, and this, to my ears, are the right amps for my mid horns. I like my system to have a very responsive feel and sound in all the ranges and this is why I do the gain structure that I do. When you step on the pedal she takes off like a Ferrari!

My freinds that want to hear this amp are away right now, Shorty is in Montreal, and Ed is away with his family for two weeks.

PSS AUDIO
07-09-2004, 09:39 AM
... I run 3 JBL 2441J drivers per channel which is a nominal 6 ohm load ... is the 2.3v input sensitivity ... a crown D-150A and I also have a Bryston 3B ST which both have 1v input sensitivities, as well as a McIntosh 2125... When you step on the pedal she takes off like a Ferrari!

Scott,

With a 6 ohm load the amplifier will deliver about 500 Watts.

As its input sensitivity is 2,3v and your system is set for amplifiers with 1V input sensitivity, it means that the PSS1200 will deliver 6 dB less than 500W.

In such a case it will deliver 125W and this meets what a DC150 will deliver with the same input!

Dynamic will be increased of 6 dB, you will get a better signal to noise ratio and you must hear more details with this PSS1200 than other amplifiers delivering only 100/150W!

It can be THE race:

Crown
Bryston
McIntosh
PSS

Who will be the new Ferrari amplifier?

Are you steady?
Ready?
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

scott fitlin
07-09-2004, 09:53 AM
We have used bigger amps with lower input sensitivities before, and WE LIKE how a 100-125wpc, 1v input sensitivity amp sounds on our horns! When we have used bigger amps, I have always found them too hard to drive with high frequencies!

I LIKE 1V inputs for mid horns!

Figge
07-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
Are you steady?
Ready?
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Shit yuri! i wasnt ready! i allmost broke my neck! :)

scott fitlin
07-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Check your PM,s!

PSS AUDIO
07-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Check your PM,s!

I am a rich man! :band:

scott fitlin
07-09-2004, 01:05 PM
i decided that although the PSS 1200 is tooooo much power for my six little JBL 2395,s with 2441J,s, that the PSS 600 does fit that bill. So I am endeavoring with Yuri to PURCHASE a customized PSS 600, optimized for my mid frequency application!

Valve like sounding amps are not a bad thing, especially through the mid band!

So I guess my deciding to have Yuri tweak an amp to my specification, and BUY it to use in MY bumper car system about says it all, dont ya think!

boputnam
07-09-2004, 01:21 PM
So I am endeavoring with Yuri to PURCHASE a customized PSS 600, optimized for my mid frequency application! :thmbsup:

Hofmannhp
07-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by scott fitlin (edited by HP)
.........for my six little JBL 2395,s with 2441J,s, .........

Hi Scott,

I'm burning in to see some pics of your eqiupment (the brutal 2395) at the Eldorado. Is this possible?

HP

scott fitlin
07-09-2004, 03:10 PM
I have to get pics up here in the forum.

What do you mean " The Brutal 2395,s" ?

Hofmannhp
07-09-2004, 03:30 PM
I have to get pics up here in the forum.

What do you mean " The Brutal 2395,s" ?

Scott.... I mean the pretty "beasts" ...the 2395 .....of course with the woofer section.

HP

scott fitlin
07-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Hofmannhp
Scott.... I mean the pretty "beasts" ...the 2395 .....of course with the woofer section.

HP Underneath the 2395,s are Altec VOTT cabinets, that Im loading with Eighteensound 15MB700,s!

I have just been really busy, and even last night, which was slow, I didnt get out of here till 2:30AM, having been here from 11AM, and having to be back here by 10AM today!

So you can see why I havent been online so much lately, and also why I havent finished with my system upgrades either.

boputnam
07-09-2004, 04:44 PM
...and also why I havent finished with my system upgrades either. ...can't happen. Never will, irrespective of other "work" loads or other counter activity. This never dies down... :D

scott fitlin
07-09-2004, 10:09 PM
...can't happen. Never will, irrespective of other "work" loads or other counter activity. This never dies down... :D Unfortunately, thats VERY, VERY true! Cause next year they will have something else I never needed, but always wanted!

:D

boputnam
07-10-2004, 11:22 AM
:rotfl:

I myself, feel the urge - TODAY!!

scott fitlin
07-11-2004, 01:02 AM

I myself, feel the urge - TODAY!! Not only did the URGE hit YOU today, it bit me again, TODAY, as well! Yuri is making me a custom PSS 600 for my mid application! Monday the financials will be taken care of, and I should have something within a few weeks to rave about!

This I have very good feelings about, because I already know the tonality of his amp through the mids! And the amp will be optimized for exactly what i am doing with it! His amp has that smoooooooooth tone through the mid band!

Now Bo, Ill have to admit, I am an Audio Junkie as its 4AM here and here I am posting about audio! Anybody know of a 12 step program for Audioholics?

PSS AUDIO
07-11-2004, 01:40 AM
Yuri is making me a custom PSS 600 for my mid application!

This I have very good feelings about, because I already know the tonality of his amp through the mids! And the amp will be optimized for exactly what i am doing with it! His amp has that smoooooooooth tone through the mid band!

This custom amplifier is an evolution of one of the studio amplifiers I am working on since 3 years time from now; all our “regular” power amplifiers taking benefit of all my investigation.

This amplifier has the following characteristics:

Same box and PCB (MKII +; Scott received an MKII one) that a PSS600 or 1200,

2x150W at 4 ohms
2x120W at 6 ohms (as it will be loaded by 3 2441)
2x100W at 8 ohms

40 000MF per channel
2x 400VA round transformer (same VA used for a PSS600).

Upon Scott’s request we will add binding posts, set the input sensitivity at 1V and remove the balanced IC (it can be placed back when ever you want, you will have to remove a wire link bypassing the balanced input stage).

I am happy that the PSS1200 Scott is testing is very smooth, as Scott says it is smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.

I intended such a warm sound as almost all amplifiers you can hear today (transistorised amplifiers) not only gives you pain in the neck listening at them for more than 10 minutes!

Unless the recording is bad, you can listen at high SPL PSS amplifiers, never will your ear get tired and damaged in any case.

And they have a lot of personality too, they sound well with the right tonality!

MKII+ vs MKII:

Deeper and more defined bass (perhaps what Scott was complaining a little);
Warmer low mids;
Mids more precise and even more present;
Mids less shinny, if ever they were with the MKII board: I would say more graceful;
A greater stereophonic image where sound is not only coming from the speaker area only: imagine that the stage is located between Los Angeles and new York and goes as far Alaska and of course up to the sky!

scott fitlin
07-11-2004, 02:03 PM
You say the mids are less shiny, and more Graceful! Thats what I meant by Polite sounding! The musical notes are there minus the harshness associated with certain amps!

I honestly feel this PSS 600 Special will do wonders with todays music, or any music for that matter! But I am fairly sure this will be great!

PSS AUDIO
07-11-2004, 02:28 PM
You say the mids are less shiny, and more Graceful! Thats what I meant by Polite sounding! The musical notes are there minus the harshness associated with certain amps!

I honestly feel this PSS 600 Special will do wonders with todays music, or any music for that matter! But I am fairly sure this will be great!

My mother language is French not English!

This "special" PSS600 is a PSS300 with the latest updates ALL our amplifiers will receive in a very close future!

The PSS1200 you received is a 9D MKII (PCB dated 11-2003) while the amplifier you will receive soon has a PCB dated 06-2004.

That is why I call it a MKII+.

You will be one of the very first, with Ian, receiving the last but not the least...

This MKII+ is even more polite than the one you received, with more define and powerful bass, a better spectral image, in a word it beats the previous one (you do not need to discuss hours, in a 5 minute time you know that it is definitively better)!

As you seem to be very happy with an MKII amplifier, you should be in love with the MKII+.

scott fitlin
07-11-2004, 02:57 PM
So its safe to say my mids will have a French accent?

Cher chez la Midrange!

PSS AUDIO
07-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Who is interested listening the amplifier as Scott had a month time by now testing it?

Collecting other feedback would be very interesting for all of us!

PSS AUDIO
10-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Rob posted those few lines on our forum board about the PSS1200 Scott forwarded him:

http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32

scott fitlin
11-03-2004, 12:38 PM
My new custom PSS amplifier is here, arrived this morning! Gonna put this on my mid horns and listen carefully beginning tonight!

:D