PDA

View Full Version : jbl black cab paint

brad6285
10-08-2009, 11:10 AM
does anyone know if jbl used lead paint , i have l112s, on the black face of the speaker cab. i needed to paint the cab front on the one speaker and sanded it down to the particle board without using any breathing protection. even if there was lead paint on it theres probably not enough on 1 cab face to worry about. heck back in the 70s we were all brething in lead from the gas. just interested. thanx brad

hjames
10-08-2009, 04:57 PM
does anyone know if jbl used lead paint , i have l112s, on the black face of the speaker cab. i needed to paint the cab front on the one speaker and sanded it down to the particle board without using any breathing protection. even if there was lead paint on it theres probably not enough on 1 cab face to worry about. heck back in the 70s we were all brething in lead from the gas. just interested. thanx brad

I thought one of the folks in here said his preference was Ace hardware's flat black laquer for painter speaker baffles.

The best I have found is Ace Hardware's flat black lacquer.
Goes on smooth, cleans well, doesn't show smudges when handled, and once again can be wiped clean with a damp rag.
Black is a difficult color to maintain with most "paints".
Fast cure (again, lacquer) and cures hard so drivers and gaskets don't stick if you have to go back in.
I've pulled drivers from cabs I've had buttoned up for several years and the seals break clean.
No other paint will do that, I guaranty it, besides lacquer, unless you bake it or let it cure hard for days, weeks or months.
And even then............?
Covers very well too.
I use it exclusively on cabs where India ink touch ups won't do.
Also, since it's lacquer, when dry the original texture(s) of what's been sprayed remain.
In other words, it's hard to tell you've even done any paint work if you do a good job of masking.
Except for the fact that you will now have a perfect, blem free finish on 35-40 years old speakers. :bouncy:

ROSSO
10-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Not that it makes any difference at this point, that ship has sailed, but you can buy a lead paint test kit at most hardware stores or for certain at McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com)