PDA

View Full Version : PSS Audio 1200

scott fitlin
06-22-2004, 02:44 PM
OK, the amp arrived yesterday. Its unpacked and sitting on a shelf, waiting to be racked this evening! I saw the amp has speakon outputs and I had to run and get two connectors! I prefer binding posts and banana plugs, but this is what the amp has!

So far, I see the amp has a generous power supply, alot of filter storage caps, and thats a good thing! I also find the cooling topology to be very interesting! The fan draws air through the front, right up and over the output transistors, and exhausts the air through the side vents!

The amp has a very WHITE faceplate, and I thought, according to the pictures it was silver, but its white! Its also a very compact unit, two rackspaces high, 10in deep, and this is really compact considering the amp delivers 600wpc@4 ohms!

Since Im open and running right now, the amp wont be racked until around midnight or a little after. At the time its hooked up, I will check all connections and once i am sure I have hooked it up right, I will turn it on. Then I will listen to the system for about an hour or so, after which I will post a preliminary first reaction to the amp! Be patient, this will be several hours away yet!

Thats all I can say for now, but Ill be back!

:cool:

PSS AUDIO
06-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Dear all,

There we are, Scott received a PSS1200 amplifier and he will review it in a few hours.

As this amplifier will stay in North America as is not intended to be sent back in Europe, you can get in touch with Scott thus he can send you the amplifier for testing it and so on.

I will be pleased reading your feedback and I hope you will sincerely enjoy PSS amplifiers.

Are you ready?

Steady?

GO

Mr. Widget
06-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Only 10" deep! Wow that is compact. I have a JBL MPA 600 which is also a 600wpc amp that is fan cooled and 2 rack spaces high. It weighs 45 pounds and is 18" deep.

Yuri,

How do you get so much amp into such a small box? Did you leave something out?:D

Widget

PSS AUDIO
06-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
Yuri,

How do you get so much amp into such a small box? Did you leave something out?:D

Widget

Widget,

Everything is inside!

This can be done because I use a unique design for cooling the power transistors. Instead of cooling the heat sink that cools the output transistors, as I use metallic ones only, I am cooling them directly from the top.

Fresh air is pulled from the top of the amplifier (that is why our chassis have such a shape to let fresh air coming in even if they are rack mounted) and the fan blows directly on the power transistors, hot air is evacuated on the front, rear and sides of the amplifier.

With such a cooling system you can lower the heat sink and lower the size of the amplifier!

The PSS2400 (1200W+1200W) is made the same but in a 3 unit box...

Look at those pictures and you will understand how it works and how the amplifier is made:

PSS AUDIO
06-22-2004, 03:20 PM
An other picture...

PSS AUDIO
06-22-2004, 03:26 PM
An other picture...

Ken Pachkowsky
06-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Scott, please put me on the list of one who would like to test this amp on my Westlakes.

Ken

boputnam
06-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Ken Pachkowsky
Scott, please put me on the list of one who would like to test this amp on my Westlakes. Ha! With your system, you'd need at least four of them...!! :rotfl:

PSS AUDIO
06-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by boputnam
Ha! With your system, you'd need at least four of them...!! :rotfl:

Hi,

I do not think so as I listen to my 4350/55 with a PSS600 and ... there is a lot of head room left ...

boputnam
06-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
I do not think so as I listen to my 4350/55 with a PSS600 and ... there is a lot of head room left ... No, sorry to confuse, Yuri...

Ken has his system at least quad-amped, maybe hexa-amped - the purist :rotfl: - so he'd need a stack of them amps...

Robh3606
06-23-2004, 12:20 PM
"maybe hexa-amped - the purist"

I thought I was "nuts"!!! Now that I would like to see. Taking the feed right off the dam.

Rob :duck:

PSS AUDIO
06-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Oldmics
Yuri

Would you be kind enough to post all of the specs about this amp?

Thank you.

Oldmics

Oldmics,

Will this link do?

http://www.pssaudio.com/english/amps.htm

Ken Pachkowsky
06-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
No, sorry to confuse, Yuri...

Ken has his system at least quad-amped, maybe hexa-amped - the purist :rotfl: - so he'd need a stack of them amps...

Bo, as it turns out I am running 8 amps that are bridged mono. All are either new or vintage AB International amps.
4 x 600A's
2 x 400's
2 x 980A's

The 980A's are brand new.

I quite like them but am currious about the PSS product. Am dieing to hear Scotts impressions of this amp?

I will be posting some pics of the setup. Its looking quite nice if I may say so myself.

Ken

Oldmics
06-24-2004, 08:09 AM
Yuri

Thank you for the link to the specs.

The specs do not show a rating for any of your products using a 2 ohm load configuration.Do you advise against using your amps in such a low ohmage load application?

Best regards

Oldmics

Figge
06-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Ken Pachkowsky
Am dieing to hear Scotts impressions of this amp?

Well me too! where the heck is he?? :)

boputnam
06-24-2004, 09:02 AM
Hey, oldmics...

Here's what Yuri posted about that on another Thread:

Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
Scott,

Unfortunately or hopefully no, PSS amplifiers do not run with 2 ohm loads, as I honestly doubt one can make some real good music with such low loads...

Yes the amplifier I sent is a PSS1200, delivering 600W+600W (as it is a twin mono amplifier) with 4 ohms load.

PSS AUDIO
06-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Figge
Well me too! where the heck is he?? :)

He is perhaps in a love affair?

Figge
06-25-2004, 02:15 PM
has ian a.k.a the aussie recieved his pss1200 yet? maybe we can hold our thumbs that he´ll survive :)

scott fitlin
06-25-2004, 06:20 PM
I finally got to install the amp this morning, its in my rack, and its powering 4 fifteens, two per channel, nominal 4 ohms per side! So far, its nice! But I havent really been in the ride much today!

Unfortunately, a situation occurred the other day that had to be taken care of immediately, and thats what I have been doing, ontop of being busy, and tired to boot!

The amp will be working tomorrow, and thats the Mermaid Parade, so its a big day, and I have to be here early. Its gonna work for 14 hours tomorrow, so after that Ill let you guys know what I think!

Right now, I am very tired, and I need sleep, so please understand!

scott fitlin
06-25-2004, 06:27 PM
I would have preferred the 1.5v input sensitivity! 2.3v is a bit hard to drive, I am doing it, but I prefer a more sensitive input.

boputnam
06-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
...and thats the Mermaid Parade, so its a big day Oh NO!! :banghead:

Where the HELL was my invite! Dammit...

PSS AUDIO
06-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
I would have preferred the 1.5v input sensitivity! 2.3v is a bit hard to drive, I am doing it, but I prefer a more sensitive input.

Scott,

It's good reading you! As you desapeared I was about giving a ring at Eldorado...

I do understand, but one cannot imagine how nice an amplifier can sound just with this modification.

If amplifier is used in an audiophile mode, you have gorgeous details that you do not hear with 1,5V sensitivity!

Figge
06-27-2004, 06:07 AM
C´Mon scott! no point in wating! lets hear it now!:)

Alex Lancaster
06-27-2004, 06:44 AM
Yuri:

Why would less sensitivity give You more detail?

PSS AUDIO
06-27-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
Yuri:

Why would less sensitivity give You more detail?

Ian,

By lowering the internal input sensitivity (this will not work by lowering the volume potentiometer of the amplifier) you increase the signal to noise ratio (more an amplifier has gain, more it will be noisy).

By lowering it, the "itsi pitsi tini wini" details are not covered anymore by the noise of the amplifier.

As they are not covered by the noise of the amplifier you will hear more things, harmonics will not be lowered at their end and it will enhance the stereophonic image.

As the signal to noise ratio is lowered, it will enhance the dynamic of the amplifier too as the dynamic equals the S/N ratio (if you have a S/N of 80 dB you will have 80 dB of dynamic, no more)!

That is why, more the amplifier will be powerful better it will “be”, I mean more details you will hear.

All PSS amplifiers has a noise of –71 dB with theit volume control set at 0.

As a 300W amplifiers has a 33 dB gain (difference between what you send in and what you get out of the amplifier), you have a S/N ratio of 104 dB.

A 600W amplifier will have a S/N ratio of 107 dB (+ 3 dB as you double the power).

A 1200W amplifier will have a S/N ratio of 111 dB (+ 3 dB as you double the power).

It means that the 1200W amplifier will enhance of 6 dB all those "itsi pitsi tini wini" compared to a 300W amplifier.

Those are raw numbers without any frequency cut off.

dieterj
06-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Hello Scott,

What's Difference in Sound of Crown vs PSS Amp?

Can you make a Photo from the PSS amp in Bumpcar:D
Before, Giskard show us only outside of Bumpcar.
But now, I think, you're Crest Fan.
:D

Dieter

PSS AUDIO
06-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by dieterj

But now, I think, you're Crest Fan.
:D

Dieter

I hope Scott will be the first US fan of PSS amps in a close future...

Remember .... I had a dream.... PSS amplifiers sounds ....

Better than Cr..n!
Better than Cr..t too!
Better than Car.r!
Better than Q.c and B.w!

That would be gorgeous...

dieterj
06-27-2004, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
[B]I hope Scott will be the first US fan of PSS amps in a close future...

Remember .... I had a dream.... PSS amplifiers sounds ....

Yes, maybe after a PSS Fan:D

But in my Opinion, Crest is very good for Bass/Midbass
I've only listen to CA-Serie:cool:

johnaec
06-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by dieterj
But in my Opinion, Crest is very good for Bass/Midbass
I've only listen to CA-Serie:cool: Scott really likes the Pro series, but I think the CA series is very similar in sound. I've got one each of Crest 1501A, FA901, P3500, and CA9. The CA9 is definitely my favorite, and I'd like to pick up at least one more, plus a CA6.

I also play bass in a band, and yesterday had an outdoor gig where I used the FA901 driving a single Sub1500. Bridged mono the FA901 puts out a solid 800 watts at 4 ohms. 'Have to use a serious sub-sonic filter or else slapping the strings, (~1hz!), causes protection to kick in.
'Cops later assured that would no longer be a problem there... :montyp:

John :band:

Figge
07-01-2004, 09:27 AM
sorry! just making shure this thread still works:)

Figge
07-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Oops!.....

ehm! my connection went down and i continued to press the post button...well a couple of times:) don can u help oút here?

4313B
sorry! just making shure this thread still works:) You're gonna get in trouble... :p

4313B
Oops!.....

ehm! my connection went down and i continued to press the post button...well a couple of times:) don can u help oút here? :rotfl:

Figge
07-01-2004, 09:33 AM
is it now im supposed to say....shit happens? :)

4313B
07-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Yes, this would be the appropriate moment. :D

I just double posted without intention. It appears there is a glitch in the matrix...

Figge
07-01-2004, 10:17 AM
it appears to be a bug somewhere! maybe in the carburator....:)

4313B
07-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Good guess but I've found the culprit. One of the Gerbils running the datagrams from here to there dropped dead and his replacement was slow off the mark.

PSS AUDIO
07-01-2004, 10:55 AM
it appears to be a bug somewhere! maybe in the carburator....:)

Perhaps can you delete them ?

Any news from Scott?

Mr. Widget
07-01-2004, 10:57 AM
I think Scott is tending the Gerbils.

Figge
07-01-2004, 10:58 AM
ha! i can delete my posts! tnx yuri! dammit giskard why didnt u tell me? :)

scott ran to mexico with da amp!

Ken Pachkowsky
07-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Dieing to hear the impressions of the PSS Amp?

Ken

Alex Lancaster
07-02-2004, 01:14 AM
We have Scott, We have the amp, tell Yr negotiators to call ours. :D

PSS AUDIO
07-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
We have Scott, We have the amp, tell Yr negotiators to call ours. :D

Guys,

I've put my fingers on Scott, he is alive!

If you do not trust me, have a walk over there and perhaps can you just ask him to come back again, from time to time: http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?s=&postid=15325#post15325

PSS AUDIO
07-07-2004, 01:50 AM
Dear all,

Scott posted his first impression about the amplifier on the following thread:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2659

PSS AUDIO
10-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Rob posted those few lines on our forum board about the PSS1200 Scott forwarded him:

http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32

PSS AUDIO
10-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Rob posted those few lines on our forum board about the PSS1200 Scott forwarded him:

http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32