PDA

View Full Version : Altec Model 19 replacement parts

Teammike
10-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know if replacement parts such as grill hangers or the grills themselves can be found anywhere for Altec Model 19s? I also need the stand which attaches to the bottom of the cabinet for one of my speakers. The speakers themselves are in great shape but I have issues with the grills and the almost "velcro" type grill hangers which have lost most of the tiny little hooks inside of them from nearly 30 years of showing off the speakers with the grills removed.

scott fitlin
10-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Contact Bill H at www.greatplainsaudio.com. Bill and the guys at Great Plains Audio were employed by Altec as engineers, and worked extensively in the factory, as well.

When Altec closed in 1999, these guys formed their own company, to keep the Altec traditions alive. They manufacture woofer and the compression driver parts for the model speaker you have, and probably be your best bet on getting what you need.

Best of all, their prices are reasonable, and Bill produces good products. I always had better luck contacting him by phone rather than email, and I don't know if this has changed! Either way, this is where the Altec parts are, and the website has all the info, and contact listings!

rgwalker
10-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know if replacement parts such as grill hangers or the grills themselves can be found anywhere for Altec Model 19s? I also need the stand which attaches to the bottom of the cabinet for one of my speakers. The speakers themselves are in great shape but I have issues with the grills and the almost "velcro" type grill hangers which have lost most of the tiny little hooks inside of them from nearly 30 years of showing off the speakers with the grills removed.

They aren't exactly the same but Parts Express sells the 'hangers'. When I had a pair I thought of using magnets. Build your own stands or replace them with legs or feet.

Bob W

Dylanl
11-18-2009, 02:52 PM
I built 2 pair one for myself and a friend by using Red Oak from Home Depot and sprayed it with black truck bed liner. Drilled the holes to match and used original screws. I also drilled a hole in back so the speaker don't have to sit on the wires. Even close up you can't tell the difference. See my Avatar.

They also fee like the cheap vinyl veneer they used because of the truck bed liner spray.

I kept my originals for a while but they are made really crappy out of partical board.