PDA

View Full Version : JBL L3 Port Tube Size/dimensions

Ghost
10-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Greetings All, I need a bit of assistance, need to know the specs/size/dimensions of the port tube (70515-16) from the JBL L3's.

Building a set of speakers for my older boy, using Realistic T-100 cabs (were 2x 16 ohm 8" woofers, 3.5" cone tweeters) Now JBL L3 woofers, JBL N28 (baffled) for the mid, Advent legacy tweeters crossed at 300/3000.

The cab is partitioned, the lower portion where the woofer is mounted is pretty close to the L3's cab volume, as it is now they sound pretty darn good, but would like to experiment with using a rear port. So need the oem port tube size/specs/dimensions plan to probably order adjustable tubes of the right diameter, and max adjustable length at least that of the 70515-16 tube. As the cabs are not exactly matched, having some tweaking ability hopefully will allow me to obtain the best tuning possible.

Thanks very much in advance.

BMWCCA
10-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Same part number is used on the L5, too. I might be able to get to my L5s and measure if no one else comes up with the size before then.

Ghost
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks, have till he visits at Thanksgiving, so have some time, just listened to Hawkwind's Hall of the Mountain Grill over them w/o tubes yet. Am pretty impressed as they stand now the Advent Legacy tweeters seem to meld well the JBL drivers, previously was using KLH 8" woofers in mock up as the the mid and just sounded off cannot put my finger on it. But once the woofers from the JBL N28's were swapped in almost like night and day, but do wanna try porting, if no work well can always stuff 'em :blink:

Oh had the xo freqs wrong in the initial post is 400/3000, (Cerwin Vega AT-10 crossovers, prob not the best match but had ready to hand)

Torn whether to keep the N28 crossovers and tweeters for something down the road, or try and sell 'em, do have a pair of vintage RTR 8" 2ways in the truck, woofs need refoaming, but have no model number or any other info on the cabs not that a model would help much as nigh impossible to find any info on RTR, have a set of towers 12" passives, 10" woofs and 3.5"" tweets I think , wrap around grill and cannot find a thing on em. The passives and woofers need refoaming the xovers, tweets are good but for them have JBL RI33 crossovers, JBL 10" passives, a pair of Sansui 150 watt 12" woofs that may be candidates..thinking a 6" mid where the tweet now sits, and Optimus Linaeum Dipoles on top the cabs... or going 10" woofs, redo the RTR passives....hmnnn

Ghost
10-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Well seems port tube specs are not forthcoming, but may not be necessary, have each of the towers connected to their own powered sub Yamaha Yst-SW16's via speaker terminal in/outs, and that seems to do the trick, not sure if adding port tubes to the towers would yield any benefit (could still add them, may improve sound w/o the subs and he can always do the sock trick if he does not like when running with the subs. Plus get to get those Yammies out me hair when the son comes up as well ;)

Had someone by to buy a couple receivers, a Optimus Pro Passive sub and pair of CV AT-12's I restored, and they tried to talk me into selling these towers..offered 400.00 w/o the subs so guess they turned out ok :) Just torn 'tween using the Advent Legacy tweets or cone tweets from CV AT-12's. I tend to like the CV vs the Advents a bit more, as did the above mentioned bloke...will leave it up to the kid.