PDA

View Full Version : walnut veneer for jbls

brad6285
10-02-2009, 07:47 PM
i found a site that sells walnut veneer do you think you can replace the vemeer on the speakers your self. the veneer is a peel and stick and i gues youd just have to get the old veneer off, sand and stick on and apply danish oil? brad

yggdrasil
10-03-2009, 01:54 AM
Maybe this can help: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=213668&postcount=13

ROSSO
10-05-2009, 07:45 AM
i found a site that sells walnut veneer do you think you can replace the vemeer on the speakers your self. the veneer is a peel and stick and i gues youd just have to get the old veneer off, sand and stick on and apply danish oil? bradYou will want the stuff with the heat sensitive backing, somtimes described as "fleece-backed". It irons on. Don't use you wife or mom's iron - buy one at Goodwill or such, maybe a Wal-Mart special. There is probably no reason to remove the existing veneer on the sides, top and bottom if it is still tight to the substrate. Sand them enough to ensure flatness with something like 120-150 grit in an oscillating sander, then wipe them down with a fast drying solvent (lacquer thinner, etc) to eliminate any oil or wax and remove the sanding dust. I would steer clear of mineral spirits - it takes forever to evaporate. Veneer the bottom first, then the sides and the top last. That way the seams will not be visible from a normal viewing angle.

brad6285
10-05-2009, 01:00 PM
i bought the veneer but have a question how do you trim it to the exact size since it doesnt come in the exact size. thanx brad

hjames
10-05-2009, 01:38 PM
i bought the veneer but have a question how do you trim it to the exact size since it doesnt come in the exact size. thanx bradUse a router to trim it once its glewd down