PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4673 Clones

HemiMoparGuy198
10-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Does anyone have any photos or any idea of how the horns are supposed to be attached to the cabinets? I have a set that I bought used that someone tried making clones out of the components, but used cheap hardware store brackets. I was wanting to make a more professional look, since JBL produced this particular package, I'm sure there is a way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,
Eric

jbl4ever
10-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Hope this helps
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Theatre%20Series/4673.pdf

HemiMoparGuy198
10-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Yes, that was VERY helpful. I'll have to go out and try to find a bracket similar to that, since I can't find one on JBL parts site. Or maybe I'll just get some new brackets that aren't all bent up and whatnot, maybe paint them black to blend with the speaker and not stick out like they do now.

Thank You Much,
Eric

HemiMoparGuy198
11-21-2009, 08:06 AM
After like 3 years, I finally had the time, energy, ambition, and money to get my JBL 4673 clones that I acquired working mostly properly. They sound friggin AWESOME, and you'll be amazed at what I have powering them; It is just a Sony bookshelf stereo system that has a mere 100 watts/channel. I can't WAIT to see what these babies will sound like with a real amp...actually, I can wait, I can wait till I have the money. Anyway, I'm wanting some new advice now...I was wondering what anyone recommends for a decent amp for these in an HT setup. Eventually, I want to run a Harman/Kardon AVR-254 preamp outputs into some Crown amps, kinda thinking the CE-1000 or 2000 (or both, in a bi amp setup 1000 for the 2380/2445 horns and 2000 for the 2226 drivers) But as for now, would the H/K be a decent power source for now...decent as in kinda significantly better than the Sony I am using now? Or does anyone have any other ideas that would be inexpensive for now, that would make it sound better, and would fit into my eventual upgrade plans

lgvenable
11-21-2009, 05:48 PM
if you watch carefully you can find crown 400's , or a Peavy 800 which are great fan-less amps.

Personally I ended up going with AB systems 821's and 713 mono-triamps; as well as BGW 750D's, to tri amp the system I'm bring up right now, using a new as yet unreceived Integra 80.1.

(After acquiring all of the old stereo equipment from the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry when it went IMAX. 19 amps, 36 JBL Pro drivers!!!!)

That said, if you choose wisely on eBay you can find righteous pro-level amps which will blow you away with their SQ potential. AB Systems amps routinely go for $125 to $250; you need to get the power transitors checked. You might need to Krylon the cases as well; just chose from folks with 100% feedback. When I have my man check out an amp; he replaces the op-amps with high end Burr Browns and solders in sockets as well (~$25/amp); thereby lowering the distortion levels as well.

Alternately; I found an extra BGW750D out of Boston on Craigslist for 125; when the guy saw what I had (I sent a pic) he blessed me for having such an understanding wife; and cut the great deal. He was delighted to see the amp he'd bought brand new going to someone who loved high end stereo equipment. ( a fanatic like some of us w/o an understanding wife)

When I took my new position at Alcoa's Warrick Ops in Indiana; I had to figure out how to fix 5 of the amps; I went to Guitar Center in Evansville and asked who they got locally to work on their amps.

The guy is great, having been certified on AB Systems, Crown, and Denon for 20 years. He's much better than some guys service center, and does outstanding work. That's one way to find a great sound engineer to build a relationship with. He doesn't cost as much as authorized service center either!

HemiMoparGuy198
11-22-2009, 08:23 AM
But I have nothing that would be a good preamp for HT, would one of theses amps you mention still work ok with just the TV as a preamp for HT setup?

hjames
11-22-2009, 03:01 PM
But I have nothing that would be a good preamp for HT, would one of theses amps you mention still work ok with just the TV as a preamp for HT setup?
No - the impedance is all wrong trying to run the TV out into a real power amp - voltage levels will be all off.
You can generally find a reasonable preamp for $100/150 - or - use an HT receiver and just grab the preamp out (which is the right level) and feed them into discrete power amps.

HemiMoparGuy198
11-22-2009, 08:20 PM
use an HT receiver and just grab the preamp out (which is the right level) and feed them into discrete power amps.

Yeah, that's what I was going to do eventually...But I was looking for a cheap way for right now and upgrade into better amps as I have the money. My original question was would the Harman/Kardon AVR-254 be sufficient enough to use as the amp for now, and then as I have the money to buy some Crown amps, migrate to the preamp out of the H/K. I'm sure it'd be better than the Sony bookshelf system I am using right now, but I just wanted more opinions as to what would be the best/cheapest way to get a better sound that the equipment can still be used when I slowly upgrade.

hjames
11-23-2009, 03:51 AM
Yeah, that's what I was going to do eventually...But I was looking for a cheap way for right now and upgrade into better amps as I have the money. My original question was would the Harman/Kardon AVR-254 be sufficient enough to use as the amp for now, and then as I have the money to buy some Crown amps, migrate to the preamp out of the H/K. I'm sure it'd be better than the Sony bookshelf system I am using right now, but I just wanted more opinions as to what would be the best/cheapest way to get a better sound that the equipment can still be used when I slowly upgrade.
Yep - I had an older HK AVR-335 as front end, and fed the L-R pre outs to a JBL 6260 power amp. Later on you can get an active crossover and biamp it, if you like, or bigger amp or whatever.
Just restrain yourself from cranking it hard while you are using just the lower power receiver to run things ...

HemiMoparGuy198
11-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Cool, thanks. Yeah I don't need to crank it to rattle my doors and rumble the entire floor throughout the house...even with the Sony bookshelf system.