PDA

View Full Version : will l112 fit l65

brad6285
10-02-2009, 01:28 PM
will the woofer, mid and tweeter from an l112 fit in a l65 cabinet? heres my reason i bought a set of l112 that were suppoised to be 9 out of 10 but they turned out to be may 5 to 6 out of 10s. the cabs are not what i expected. the one is seperating along the edge on the bottom and there are some chips and the one coner is broken off. so i cant return the sob wont take them back but there is a set of empty jubals for 250.00 on ebay so iwould just put the l112 speakers in the jubal cab if theyll fit. im new to this so i dont know if itll work. thanx brad

Mannermusic
10-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi Brad -

Well, welcome to the club! Been there. Thing is, the Jubals could be just more of the same. Deeper into the mire! I'd say if the L112 drivers are all good, just refurbish the L112 cabs. Wood work is relatively cheap - a lot of folks here have salvaged some pretty sad stuff! For $250 you could even hire someone.

Thing is, the L112 is one of the best small JBL vintage systems. Even if it has a nick or two it's still gonna sound good. No easy answers. :o: Mike

rdgrimes
10-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Yup, I'd go all out on the L112 cabs - nothing to lose there. Epoxy the split edges and fill the chips. Even if you have to re-veneer or (gasp) paint them, you'll still have the intended sound. L112 cabs do turn up on the bay from time to time. The L65 cab is larger than the L112, porting is prolly different too, so the sound will be quite different. Plus you'd have to adapt the L112 XOs to fit in the 65 cab. All in all, not much more work to fix up those 112 cabs. Even if they're ugly, they'll still sound pretty. ;)

mike
10-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Buying a pair of L65 cabinets on Ebay is a risk because it is very likely that they will be damaged at least a little in shipment. That is a nice looking pair though.

Mike

brad6285
10-02-2009, 07:12 PM
i filled in the gap at the seam with walnut wood filler and am planning to stain with a walnut stain. tha filler is quite the right color. what stain should i use (minwax, what color walnut). if i want to buy walnut veneer is there anywhere that sells it. also i cleaned up the cabs with steel wool and mineral spirits and applied watco danis oil and the one doeant look that bad except for the seperated seam. my major complant is that this sob portrayed the speakers as a 9 out of 10 when there more like a 5 to 6 out of ten and he a member of this forum. this is why people have no trust in others today and im glad i dont do things like this. sorry for the rant. brad

hjames
10-02-2009, 07:34 PM
i filled in the gap at the seam with walnut wood filler and am planning to stain with a walnut stain. tha filler is quite the right color. what stain should i use (minwax, what color walnut). if i want to buy walnut veneer is there anywhere that sells it. also i cleaned up the cabs with steel wool and mineral spirits and applied watco danis oil and the one doeant look that bad except for the seperated seam. my major complant is that this sob portrayed the speakers as a 9 out of 10 when there more like a 5 to 6 out of ten and he a member of this forum. this is why people have no trust in others today and im glad i dont do things like this. sorry for the rant. brad

Are you sure it didn't pop the seam from getting a bang during shipping?
UPS and those folks can be really rough ...
(wasn't me - my only recent sale was one big pair I sent to Canada, and we know he's happy)

brad6285
10-02-2009, 07:44 PM
no way you can tell this was done before the cab is tight and the back of the seam toward the back of the speaker has the corner knocked off this is probably when it happened. there wasnt any pieces of particle board or walnut veneer in the shipping package. the speakers this guy had a picture of wasnt even the ones i got i looked at the picture closely and there arent any imperfections on the ones in his pics. brad

hjames
10-03-2009, 05:28 AM
So, who was this joyful weasel?
What's his ebay name, so we can look out
and avoid buying things from him ...!

no way!
you can tell this was done before!
the cab is tight and the back of the seam toward the back of the speaker has the corner knocked off.
this is probably when it happened.
there wasn't any pieces of particle board or walnut veneer in the shipping package.
the speakers this guy had a picture of wasn't even the ones i got!
i looked at the picture closely and there aren't any imperfections on the ones in his pics.
brad

Fangio
10-03-2009, 07:00 AM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26370

--
While we are at it – don’t bid on these either: http://ebayitem.com/260485525650

all pictures were lifted from my auction on eBay Germany, in summer 2008.

hjames
10-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Wow, I sure hope his other sale is honourable ...
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26371

brad6285
10-05-2009, 01:12 PM
this forum member is a crook. his name is ggmm2112. dont trust him i just received my other speaker and its worse than the first one. the face is all scrathed up from the grill which is broken. the bottom seams have both seperated im suspecting water damage and theres multple stains, scrathes and chips. the foil badge is a mess too. he should be kicked off the forum. i have just bought 2 sheets of walnut veneer to do the cabs over and i have to get the 1 grill welded. and im trying to find a foil badge. i learned a good lesson that wont happen to me again. so be weary of buying anything from this crook. i called to get my money back but he hasnt called bak these speakers were at best a 5 out of ten. brad

hjames
10-05-2009, 01:35 PM
this forum member is a crook. his name is ggmm2112. dont trust him i just received my other speaker and its worse than the first one. the face is all scrathed up from the grill which is broken. the bottom seams have both seperated im suspecting water damage and theres multple stains, scrathes and chips. the foil badge is a mess too. he should be kicked off the forum. i have just bought 2 sheets of walnut veneer to do the cabs over and i have to get the 1 grill welded. and im trying to find a foil badge. i learned a good lesson that wont happen to me again. so be weary of buying anything from this crook. i called to get my money back but he hasnt called bak these speakers were at best a 5 out of ten. brad

Looks like his other sale was less than honourable too ...
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26371

But without pichers its real hard to be sure it is?

Robh3606
10-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Based on this and Subwoofs response in his thread and this one he is Banned. This thread is now closed. Please start another one to continue your discussion. Sorry this happened to you guys.

Rob:)