PDA

View Full Version : help in adding bullet tweeter to horns

skudra
09-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Hello-I have currently a two way horn system using Altec A-7 boxes with JBL 2235's crossing over passively at 250hz to Altec 803B's using an unobtanium compression driver that is ruler flat out to 11 or 12k depending on the horn used.
At present I'm just using one amp fullrange-mostly a LadyDay 300B. However, I plan to bi-amp with a QSC amp for lows and probably the 300B for highs.
Can someone suggest how I would implement a bullet tweeter into this configuration? I am looking at the Fostex 900A, or would take any other suggestions as well.

louped garouv
09-30-2009, 03:03 PM
passive crossover b/t unobtanium driver to fostex?

one at the freq/slope you like, maybe somewhere b/t 7K to 10K?

skudra
09-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Right now the passive xover is between the 2235's and the compression driver crossed at 250hz.
Would I need another passive between the compression driver and Fostex, or should I go active?
Also, will I need three amps for the three different drivers?

louped garouv
09-30-2009, 05:04 PM
yep another passive b/t the compression driver and fostex...

JBL has made several incarnations, as have other manufacturers...

you could go active, and you are correct, if you go that route -- it will require more amplifiers...

good luck!

more questions, feel free to ask...

:)

skudra
09-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks so much for your help.
If I do stay passive, and build another crossover between the compression driver and fostex, how would I adjust for the differences in gain between the two amps or three amps?

louped garouv
10-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks so much for your help.
If I do stay passive, and build another crossover between the compression driver and fostex, how would I adjust for the differences in gain between the two amps or three amps?

well...
if you stay passive, you should only have one amplifier, right?

many passive crossover designs have some variable resistors or a potentiometer inline to adjust the levels of some of the drivers...

(generally i believe it's normally used to pad down some of the (compression) drivers, due to the difference in sensitivity b't the woofer and other drivers in the system...)

hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in on this....