PDA

View Full Version : JBL 2245H gap question

number9
09-29-2009, 04:11 AM
I purchased a pair of JBL 2245Hs for a speaker project that I am working on
(two full range speakers, these are the bottoms). One has a rub, so I also purchased a JBL recone kit from an individual (NOS kit). The kit did not come with shims for the voice coil gap. Does anyone know how thick/thin the shims should be? I can purchase some material and make my own I suppose if I know how thick they are. I have reconed spekers in the past, but I always had the shims.

Thanks.

herki the cat
09-30-2009, 06:25 AM
I purchased a pair of JBL 2245Hs for a speaker project that I am working on
(two full range speakers, these are the bottoms). One has a rub, so I also purchased a JBL recone kit from an individual (NOS kit). The kit did not come with shims for the voice coil gap. Does anyone know how thick/thin the shims should be? I can purchase some material and make my own I suppose if I know how thick they are. I have reconed spekers in the past, but I always had the shims.

Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The classic tradition for speaker voice coil repair 'shims" in the RCA Photophone Service Camp & also WEOC ERPIE / ALTEC has been a handy piece of 35 mm film always available in the theater projection booth.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Herki The Cat

Robh3606
09-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Your kit should have a round clear plastic cylinder shim included with it. They use it to help pack the kit. Film sounds like a great idea.

Rob:)

number9
09-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks. If only I worked at a theatre. :)

I will see if I can get some, or find that ring.

tarior
10-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I've been known to use old playing cards, the thick cover from a calendar, and lately, the flyers that Comcast and others send in the mail. It only takes a little trial and error to find the right thickness.

herki the cat
10-02-2009, 03:17 AM
Thanks. If only I worked at a theatre. :)

I will see if I can get some, or find that ring.
--------------------------------------------------------

For film shim stock, go to walgreens, cvs drugs etc or dollar store and buy a single, 75 cent roll of 35 mm camera film. it is all standard stuff
and it fits nice & easy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Good luck , Herki The Cat