PDA

View Full Version : JBL 030 in Mystery GE Cabinet

Seamus
09-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Hello everyone,

I was recently given some audio gear through a house purchase.
Fisher X101c
Thorens TD124
Bogen T661
One large speaker.

Needless to say, I was very excited.

The large speaker is a little confusing. At first I thought it was a C37 with 030 speaker set (D130/075/N2400... right?), but the cabinet is not a C37. It's pretty similar in it's setup (port at the bottom), but it's just not a C37.
Then I thought that it must have been home made.
Last night I noticed that there is a General Electric logo on it.

For the life of me, I can't find anything about GE speaker cabinets.
Has anyone come across one?

I'll get some pictures up tonight, if I can find the box that the camera was packed in.

Thanks,
Seamus

ps. this web site is truly great.

Seamus
09-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Here's a picture of the cabinet.

spkrman57
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Mine had JBL D123 and 075 w/N2400 crossover.

I traded out the drivers and crossovers, but still have the cabinets.

They are GE's "Distributed port" system design. Basically a dozen 1" holes at the bottom of the front of the baffle board.

I will post pics of mine next week if you would like.....

Right now I have to go to the VA for some medical attention on my throat. I quit smoking cigarettes April 1st, but my throat has issues and I'm going to see how serious it will be.

Regards, Ron

Seamus
09-24-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your throat.
I'm trying to quit smoking, also.
It's really quite amazing how cigarettes control your life.
I had no idea until I tried to quit.

That's really cool about the cabinets, though.
It's really a nice looking piece.
I have to say that I'm not real happy with the way the 075 sounds in it, but I don't know if it's the 075 that I don't like, or the sound of it in the cabinet.

The D130 sounds very good, though.

Since I only have one, and I'll probably never find another one, I may make it into a guitar cabinet or something for my recording studio and sell the 075 and the N2400.

I can't decide.

Thanks,
Seamus

BMWCCA
09-24-2009, 01:25 PM
I have to say that I'm not real happy with the way the 075 sounds in it, but I don't know if it's the 075 that I don't like, or the sound of it in the cabinet.

The D130 sounds very good, though.075 doesn't really care what cabinet it's in or even if it's in a cabinet. But the crossover might be an issue, especially the pot/control. There are simple plans on this site for re-building your N2400. And of course the 075 isn't at it's best at 2400, either. I'm one LE175DLH short of making my 030 pair a three-way but they're still very enjoyable as they are when working properly. I'll be using two Crown VFX2As and three Crown amps. I'm planning it before their 60th birthday.

Seamus
09-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Maye it's the crossover, then.
...or maybe I just don't like the sound of the 075.

It seemed like I was hearing two seperate and isolated drivers (HF and LF)... which, of course I was, but you know what I mean. The 075 seems overbearing and harsh.
To be fair, I only listened for a short while in my basement with a cd.
Then I switched over to my little JBL D38's and the sound from those made me sea sick.

We have a pair of JBL 4410's in our live room at the studio that I enjoy listening to quite a bit. They are driven with a Crown DC300.

Maybe the Fisher isn't doing the 075 justice?...
I realize that the 075 and the drivers in the 4410 are totally different.

spkrman57
09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Maye it's the crossover, then.
...or maybe I just don't like the sound of the 075.

It seemed like I was hearing two seperate and isolated drivers (HF and LF)... which, of course I was, but you know what I mean. The 075 seems overbearing and harsh.
To be fair, I only listened for a short while in my basement with a cd.
Then I switched over to my little JBL D38's and the sound from those made me sea sick.

We have a pair of JBL 4410's in our live room at the studio that I enjoy listening to quite a bit. They are driven with a Crown DC300.

Maybe the Fisher isn't doing the 075 justice?...
I realize that the 075 and the drivers in the 4410 are totally different.

Listen to them off-axis to miss the beaming that you are hearing.

Regards, Ron

Seamus
09-30-2009, 11:36 AM
That makes sense.

Thanks,
Seamus